Names You Love But Others Hate

My husband and/or I have always the loved the names below, but our last name is long and a little clunky, so we don’t want to give a kid two difficult or funny names.

Boys:
[name_m]Perseus[/name_m] (nn [name_u]Percy[/name_u])
[name_m]Niels[/name_m] (after [name_m]Niels[/name_m] Bohr)
[name_m]Pike[/name_m] (after the street in Seattle, where we’re from)
[name_m]Coen[/name_m] (we’re Jewish, but still could be seen as offensive)

Girls:
[name_u]Shalom[/name_u]
[name_f]Mathilde[/name_f]

Lorcan and [name_m]Lysander[/name_m] are gorgeous! They’d be stunning brothers too.

2 Likes

I have a [name_f]Saskia[/name_f]! [name_m]Even[/name_m] though it’s not a top 100 name in Australia and never has been, there are two others in my daughter’s year level at school. :flushed:

2 Likes

I love the name [name_u]Phoenix[/name_u], for either gender but especially girls. A lot of people, both irl and on nameberry think it’s a little too “out there” and “extreme” which, yeah, I understand. Good thing I’m a writer! I can get all of my more wild naming choices out of my system before I have kids.

I adore the name [name_u]Ezra[/name_u], but most of my friends and family members react negatively to it. I don’t know why, because I think it’s a really cool name.

Leo’s “too popular” along with [name_m]Liam[/name_m]. The names I’ve “chosen” for my future children, [name_m]Felix[/name_m] and [name_f]Iris[/name_f], are allegedly too old fashioned. [name_u]River[/name_u] is “too hippie” and [name_u]Blaire[/name_u] “too snobby.” Some other names I also love, [name_f]Selene[/name_f], [name_f]Luna[/name_f] and [name_u]Wren[/name_u] ([name_u]Wren[/name_u] I especially adore) are often dismissed as “hippie or witch-y”

My own name, [name_u]Adison[/name_u], is usually frowned upon, especially by older folks. Both because of its alternate spelling (The missing D isn’t a typo!) and also because its status as a “traditionally masculine turned feminine” name.

Cressida, [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f], [name_f]Felicity[/name_f], and [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f] are all apparently “too long and overwhelming.”

But I love them all, and I don’t especially care what people think all that much. At least, when it comes to names.

4 Likes

I absolutely love unisex names. Especially [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] and [name_u]Jasper[/name_u]! You’ve got good naming taste. :smile:

I really like the names Tirilan, [name_f]Cressida[/name_f], [name_f]Asterope[/name_f], [name_f]Isleen[/name_f], [name_m]Varian[/name_m], Lupus, [name_m]Kyron[/name_m], and Tryfan. I mentioned them to my friends and they all seem to disagree. I have no idea why since the names are so cool!

4 Likes

I think [name_u]Denim[/name_u] is a cool name but other berries seem to think is is weird. :joy:

1 Like

My first thought was [name_f]Agatha[/name_f]! There’s also [name_f]Sunshine[/name_f], [name_f]Destiny[/name_f], [name_m]Balthazar[/name_m], [name_f]Gaia[/name_f], [name_u]Storm[/name_u], [name_f]Artemisia[/name_f], [name_m]Bartholomew[/name_m], [name_u]Falcon[/name_u], [name_m]Bear[/name_m], [name_f]Gloria[/name_f], [name_u]Wolf[/name_u], [name_m]Romeo[/name_m], [name_m]Sylvester[/name_m], [name_f]Melody[/name_f], [name_m]Dionysius[/name_m], [name_u]Ocean[/name_u], [name_f]Sapphira[/name_f], [name_f]Angelica[/name_f], [name_m]Nazareth[/name_m], [name_f]Star[/name_f], [name_m]Roderick[/name_m], [name_m]Bernard[/name_m]… And the list goes on and on…

6 Likes

I think that Yasaman is a Persian name that means" jasmine flower", I am not sure though.

1 Like

I actually love it! If on a girl her nickname could be [name_f]Demi[/name_f].

2 Likes

I actually really love [name_u]James[/name_u] on a girl. It seems to be a very controversial opinion here lmao.

Names my family hated:
[name_m]Axel[/name_m]
[name_m]Bruno[/name_m]
[name_m]Simon[/name_m]
[name_m]Vincent[/name_m]

Francesca
[name_f]Millicent[/name_f]
[name_f]Seraphina[/name_f]
[name_f]Thisbe[/name_f]

1 Like

I adore [name_m]Zebedee[/name_m] but always get made fun of for it. [name_f]My[/name_f] husband has absolutely refused. I think the nn [name_m]Zeb[/name_m] is amazing.

8 Likes

I love [name_m]Zebedee[/name_m] as well! It sounds so fast and cool.

1 Like

I love [name_f]Tallulah[/name_f]. Unfortunately, everyone I know in real life hates it.

1 Like

One of my favorite names for a boy is [name_m]Philip[/name_m] but whenever I mention it people say it’s stuffy or old fashioned. Because of this it has sort of slipped down my list as I’d hate for a child to get mocked because of their name. What do you think?

I’m sure there are others, but the first name that popped into my head was [name_f]Greer[/name_f]. [name_f]My[/name_f] husband, my mom, and I all love this name, but it tends to be a very polarizing name.

Tallulah! I love it so so so so much but everyone I talk to (including my SO) hates it.

My mother hates my top girl choice [name_f]Winnie[/name_f].

Jemima is so cute and spunky but everyone I talk to really doesn’t like it.

Others include [name_u]Dorian[/name_u], Anaïs, [name_u]Hadley[/name_u], [name_u]Sloane[/name_u] and [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f].

2 Likes

@ejray I really like [name_m]Philip[/name_m]/Phillip! A very handsome and underused classic.

1 Like

I love [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f]!

2 Likes

Another name I love but I’d be somewhat afraid to use is [name_f]Primrose[/name_f]. It’s actually a family name but I’d be hesitant to use it because of the Hunger Games connection. I love the nn Prim or [name_f]Posy[/name_f]. [name_m]How[/name_m] do you feel about [name_f]Primrose[/name_f]?