Names You Love But Others Hate

I like it! I’m in love with the nickname [name_u]Pip[/name_u]/Pippin for either sex, so any name that leads there is good in my book.

Plus, it’s a handsome, distinguished name — underused and with a distinctive sound and shape.

I’ve only ever known lovely [name_m]Philips[/name_m] too :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thanks for the great comments and nn suggestions :heartpulse:

Oh gosh I love [name_m]Philip[/name_m]! It’s kind of gone on and off my radar, but it’s just so timeless and handsome!

1 Like

Cressida = PERFECTION and GORGEOUSNESS and POWER combined

Varian = FANTASY and JUST YESSSSSS and THE BEST NICKNAMES EVER and COOLNESS combined

LOVE THOSE NAMES!

3 Likes

I know, [name_m]Sylvester[/name_m] is so cool!

Sapphira, [name_f]Angelica[/name_f] (oh to my joy I met a wonderful young lady-now young adult with that name), [name_f]Gloria[/name_f] (YAY), [name_u]Ocean[/name_u], and [name_m]Bernard[/name_m] are so great!

1 Like

Hah, this is a funny topic, and yes, much better than “names you hate.” Hate is such a powerful word, and I don’t think many people actually hate a name. It’s just a word after all. But there are many that people turn their noses up at including these of mine:

Roxanna
[name_f]Galilea[/name_f]
[name_f]Rhoswen[/name_f]
[name_f]Saffi[/name_f]
[name_f]Augustina[/name_f]
Flurry
[name_f]Geraldine[/name_f]
[name_f]Anita[/name_f]
[name_f]Maud[/name_f]
[name_f]Faustine[/name_f]
[name_f]Stefania[/name_f]
[name_m]Brucie[/name_m]
[name_f]Ramira[/name_f]
[name_u]Kestrel[/name_u]
[name_f]Gilda[/name_f]
[name_m]Jovani[/name_m]
[name_f]Judith[/name_f]
[name_f]Viridis[/name_f]
Valancy
Flicka
[name_f]Leona[/name_f]
[name_f]Peridot[/name_f]
[name_f]Tatia[/name_f]
[name_f]Jovienne[/name_f]
[name_f]Ferelith[/name_f]
[name_f]Wanda[/name_f]
[name_f]Francine[/name_f]

Claudio
[name_u]Copper[/name_u]
[name_m]Kerwin[/name_m]
[name_m]Grover[/name_m]
[name_u]Valiant[/name_u]
[name_m]Lir[/name_m]
[name_m]Alonzo[/name_m]
Talo
[name_m]Booker[/name_m]
[name_m]Venturo[/name_m]
[name_u]Nuru[/name_u]
[name_m]Zeno[/name_m]
[name_m]Yancy[/name_m]

2 Likes

Gideon
[name_f]Johannah[/name_f] (specifically this spelling)
[name_f]Charity[/name_f]
[name_f]Mercy[/name_f]
[name_f]Annabeth[/name_f]
[name_f]Annabelle[/name_f]
Addallee (specifically this spelling)
[name_m]Titus[/name_m]
[name_m]Tobias[/name_m]
[name_m]Will[/name_m] (as a middle name)
[name_u]Delaney[/name_u]
DeAnna (specifically this spelling and capitalization of letters - it honors my middle DeNae, and my grandmother DeLora)
[name_m]Jeremiah[/name_m]
[name_m]Nehemiah[/name_m]
[name_f]Ruth[/name_f]
[name_f]Maryellen[/name_f]
[name_f]Melody[/name_f] [name_u]Peace[/name_u] (as a combo)
[name_f]Alyanna[/name_f] (specifically this spelling)
[name_f]Beverly[/name_f]
[name_f]Gwendolyn[/name_f]/Gwen
[name_f]Jeanette[/name_f]
Rosamonde
[name_f]Frances[/name_f] (as a middle name)
[name_u]Lynn[/name_u] (boy or girl middle name)
[name_u]Ruby[/name_u] (apparently, my brother despises this name)
[name_u]Maxwell[/name_u]
[name_m]Zebulun[/name_m]
[name_m]Aloysius[/name_m] (as a middle name)
[name_m]Reuel[/name_m] (as a middle name)
[name_m]Joel[/name_m] (apparently, some - or maybe a lot - berries don’t like this name)
[name_m]Peter[/name_m] (as a middle name because I hate “[name_m]Pete[/name_m]”)
[name_m]Walton[/name_m] (as a middle name)

I adore [name_f]Artemisia[/name_f] and it’s on my list to use someday, but I’m 100% sure everyone I know would tell me it’s too much of a GP :frowning: A lot of people also seem to think [name_f]Lilith[/name_f] shouldn’t be used bc of bad connotations but I think it’s super pretty and will definitely be using it as a middle no matter what anyone says

I think my mom and SO would dislike most of the names on my list :sweat_smile: I know they like [name_u]Ezra[/name_u], but beyond that…

[name_f]My[/name_f] favorite that I wish they’d get behind is [name_f]Lavinia[/name_f], nn [name_u]Vinnie[/name_u]. I LOVE the name [name_u]Vinnie[/name_u] on a girl. They are firmly in the “no” camp.

I suggested [name_m]Linus[/name_m] for a cat the other day and bf apparently dislikes it, which was a bummer. I also like it on people. And, of course, my mom agreed she liked [name_m]Sylvester[/name_m] for a cat and now all of a sudden I like it enough for people that I’d consider it for a son. I also just today started liking [name_m]Alvin[/name_m], I think again because it has similar sounds to [name_f]Lavinia[/name_f]/Vinnie, but I know it’s disliked because of the chipmonk.

Laura
[name_f]Laurel[/name_f]
[name_f]Blossom[/name_f]
[name_u]Wilder[/name_u]
[name_f]Odette[/name_f]

1 Like

Donald, my Papa’s name

1 Like

Here are mine!

Brock
[name_u]Murray[/name_u]
[name_u]Amos[/name_u]
[name_u]Roscoe[/name_u]
[name_u]Percy[/name_u]

Ursula
[name_f]Dinah[/name_f]
[name_f]Xanthe[/name_f]
[name_f]Saskia[/name_f]
[name_u]Kendall[/name_u]

Saskia is on of my favorite names!

1 Like

I don’t really discuss the names I like with other people irl so kinda difficult to know other than the couple times people will make a side remark about someone’s name which I listed below.

Aleu
[name_f]Athena[/name_f]
[name_f]Francesca[/name_f]
[name_f]Jasmine[/name_f]
[name_f]Korra[/name_f] (the complaint was the spelling)
[name_f]Kya[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosaline[/name_f]
[name_f]Sura[/name_f]

[name_f]My[/name_f] master list is full of unusual names that I’m sure most people will balk at if I actually discussed a lot of them

I’m very much like you… I don’t discuss names with people irl either (exception was mom, but that has stopped). I know I have a couple that may be up for discussion and possibly taken off the list by my future SO. I have seen more remarks on random sites about names, or just general news sites in the case of some names, where opinions were presented about specific names, and they were incredibly ugly comments.

1 Like

@Strawberry.Bunny I love all 5 that you listed

@AerieEerie aww, I’m sorry your family doesn’t like [name_f]Lavinia[/name_f]. I think [name_f]Lavinia[/name_f] is beautiful!

@Vespertine [name_f]Artemisia[/name_f] looks lovely! [name_f]Hope[/name_f] you get to use it!

@EJpuddlejumper @Estrela I had suggested [name_f]Sapphira[/name_f] to a friend and I was so happy that she loved it!

2 Likes

Lavinia nn [name_u]Vinnie[/name_u] is so precious!! [name_u]Vinnie[/name_u] on a girl would be amazing omg

1 Like

I love [name_f]Yasmin[/name_f]! :slight_smile:

For me;
[name_f]Danielle[/name_f]
[name_f]Stephanie[/name_f]
[name_u]Kelly[/name_u]
[name_f]Dottie[/name_f]
[name_f]Pixie[/name_f]
[name_f]Honey[/name_f]
[name_f]Blossom[/name_f]
[name_f]Bluebell[/name_f]
[name_f]Bessie[/name_f]
[name_f]Florrie[/name_f]
[name_f]Dolly[/name_f]
[name_f]Minnie[/name_f]
[name_f]Ffion[/name_f]
[name_f]Aoife[/name_f]
[name_f]Tilly[/name_f]

3 Likes

:scream: :star_struck: :heart_eyes: I love [name_f]Dolly[/name_f] (my friend’s little sister is named [name_f]Dolly[/name_f]), BLOSSOM(YAYYYY), [name_f]Bessie[/name_f], and [name_f]Bluebell[/name_f]!

3 Likes

I tend to like old-fashioned names that people find unattractive or clunky.

Myrtle
[name_f]Susan[/name_f]
[name_f]Eugenie[/name_f]
[name_f]Magda[/name_f]
[name_f]Ramona[/name_f]
[name_f]Constance[/name_f]
[name_u]Simone[/name_u]

Grover
[name_u]Basil[/name_u]
[name_m]Mungo[/name_m]
[name_m]Seymour[/name_m]
[name_m]Raymond[/name_m]