Names You Love But Won't Use šŸ‚

Another one I just thought of is Phryne. I love it, I LOVE Miss Fisherā€™s Murder Mysteries but sadly it means ā€˜toadā€™ :sweat_smile: and in classical terms, Phryne was a courtesan (a very fiesty courtesan, but still). So probably would not bestow it on a real child.

2 Likes

I LOOOOVE the name [name_f]Rhiannon[/name_f]. Absolutely adore it. Itā€™s not usable to me because of my last name, though (but - Iā€™m not married or anything - maybe that situation would change). But, itā€™s also not usable because when my sister was in school she got in a fight with a girl named [name_f]Rhiannon[/name_f] :joy: Itā€™s a stupid reason, but she would absolutely kill me if I ever used it.

3 Likes

[name_f]Raelyn[/name_f] nickname [name_u]Rae[/name_u]- way too similar to my own name
[name_f]Julia[/name_f]- my cousinā€™s name
Meryn/Mirren- my other cousins name
[name_f]Xyla[/name_f] and [name_m]Zailyn[/name_m]- love the sound of both, but too out there and Iā€™ve seen a lot of negative reactions to the names
[name_f]Mila[/name_f]- I like the pronunciation of my-luh, but donā€™t like the [name_f]Myla[/name_f] spelling as much. And I donā€™t like the pronunciation mee-luh

I love but wouldnā€™t use:
[name_f]Hepzibah[/name_f] - I think it might be a bit too out there, and a little girl might get picked on, especially as ā€˜bahā€™ is the sound a sheep makes.

[name_f]Rose[/name_f] - [name_f]My[/name_f] best friendā€™s daughters both have the middle name [name_f]Rose[/name_f]. I think I would opt for something else because of this.

[name_f]Bethany[/name_f] or [name_f]Beth[/name_f] - my husbandā€™s best friend and his wife have a [name_f]Beth[/name_f].

[name_f]Abigail[/name_f] - The above Bethā€™s mother is an [name_u]Abby[/name_u]!

[name_f]Ursula[/name_f]. [name_f]Disney[/name_f] has a lot to answer for on this one!

1 Like

Some that come to mind for me at this momentā€¦

[name_f]Freya[/name_f]

I really like it and I think it would suit a child of mine nicely, but I learned that my best friend had a bully with this name and I wouldnā€™t want to taunt them with it.

[name_f]Aya[/name_f]

I love this name, but itā€™s too short in comparison to my most favourite names and that change in uniformity is much too drastic for my extreme perfectionist eyes :sweat_smile: maybe Iā€™d still consider it as a middle name though!

[name_f]Aurora[/name_f]

I just canā€™t see my partner getting behind this one, like whenever it comes up in conversation (even non-name related ones) he has to express how horrible he finds it is as a name, lol. Itā€™s also quite similar to our shared choice for a daughter, [name_f]Astoria[/name_f], so I wouldnā€™t want to use it anyway.

[name_f]Gaia[/name_f]

Theoretically itā€™s perfect for me, but my little brother really wants to use this one if he ever has a daughter and there are plenty of names I love more than it, so Iā€™m happy to keep it off of my lists for him.

[name_u]Bellamy[/name_u] / [name_u]Wesley[/name_u]

As of right now my partner has expressed a dislike for both of these names (and other family of mine have hard-noped on [name_u]Wesley[/name_u] in particular, aside from my grandmother who loves it and even considered it for my fatherā€™s name!), but whenever we actually start having kids I will be bringing them back to the table for discussion, lol.

Iā€™ll come back and share if I ever think of more!

1 Like

girls :

Poppy - I loveeeee Poppy, and Iā€™m obsessed with it, but I used it already as a name for my dog, and now I canā€™t realistically see myself using Poppy as a first name for my child, because itā€™s already the name of my fur child!! I would definitely consider using Poppy as a nickname or maybe even a middle name as a cute honor though.

Calla - I loveee Calla, and think she is so beautiful and precious, but I probably wonā€™t use it, because itā€™s the name of my boyfriendā€™s cat.

Athena - I really love how magical, beautiful, and strong Athena is, but I just canā€™t get over Athenaā€™s actions and role she played in the story of Medusa in Greek mythology.

Isabella : I have always really loved Isabella, and the ā€œIzzyā€ nickname, but sheā€™s just too popular for me to use now & doesnā€™t feel ā€œspecialā€ and like ā€œmy nameā€ anymore. Twilight also really ruined
-Bella ending names for me lol.

Freya : I love Freya, but one of my best friends when I was in elementary, middle, & high school , that I am sadly not friends with at all anymore, has always been 100% deadset since we were in high school about naming her future daughter Freya, so it reminds me too much of her and feels wrong to consider using it.

boys :

Oliver : wayyyy too common, even though I love it, & the ā€œOllieā€ nickname! Ollie is definitely still on my list as a nickname!!

Finn - love it, but itā€™s my cousinā€™s name

Lyle - I really, really love Lyle, and I really want to want, to use it, but I had a really close friend in elementary & middle school named Lyle, and he was even my ā€œboyfriendā€ in 3rd grade-5th grade lol. He moved across the country, and I havenā€™t seen or talked to him in years, so it would feel a little strange using his name, since I associate the name with him so much, & heā€™s the only person Iā€™ve ever met named Lyle.

1 Like

[name_u]Jude[/name_u] - This used to be the name I had picked out for my future son, but I now have terrible assosciations!
[name_f]Sofia[/name_f] - Too close to a family memberā€™s name; not that I donā€™t love her, but we have a rule in our family against naming children after family members. Would consider for the middle spot though!
[name_u]Spencer[/name_u] - [name_f]My[/name_f] dad hates it so viscerally I just couldnā€™t do that to him.

1 Like

[name_f]Victoria[/name_f] - I adore her in all her full-length glory, but I donā€™t like the shortenings and I think four syllables is too much name without at least one viable nickname.
[name_u]Leo[/name_u] - It feels like every single person in my social circle who has a little boy has named him [name_u]Leo[/name_u]! Itā€™s a truly darling name but somehow it has justā€¦ dulled

1 Like

[name_u]Robin[/name_u] - I have an aunt with this name and while I donā€™t dislike her, it just feels like HER name so I wouldnā€™t use it. Absolutely love it tho

[name_u]Will[/name_u] - my cousins baby boy!

[name_u]Teddy[/name_u] - my dogs name, I kinda wished Iā€™d saved it for my list but I also canā€™t imagine my dog called anything else <3

So far only boys names have been crossed off!

Also, for the record I think [name_u]Nesta[/name_u] would fit with your other nameā€™s perfectly! @readingreverie And Iā€™m not just saying that because Iā€™m an acotar girl :wink:

1 Like

thereā€™s really only one name i can think of off the top of my head. i absolutely ADORE the name gael. unfortunately, i am white.