Names you love but would never use

For any reason, association with people, family doesn’t like it, doesn’t fit with the rest of the family, just too unique/popular?

[name]Fiona[/name]/[name]Eliza[/name]/[name]Helena[/name]-Bad associations with.
[name]Hermione[/name]/[name]Atticus[/name]-Too closely connected with characters.
[name]Jasper[/name]/[name]Siena[/name]/[name]Marin[/name]-Family reasons.

:frowning:

[name]Arabella[/name]. It’s gorgeous and lovely, but I don’t think I or any of my future children could get away with something so frilly. [name]Just[/name] picturing telling my parents I’ve named my daughter [name]Arabella[/name] makes me laugh, but I love the name. And I love it for other people.

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

I love all these names, but wouldn’t use because of popularity: [name]Samantha[/name], [name]Caroline[/name], [name]Alyssa[/name], [name]Grace[/name].

My nieces are [name]Chloe[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] and [name]Bella[/name] [name]Mae[/name] (PRE-TWILIGHT), so I obviously wouldn’t use those. [name]Nor[/name] could I use the lovely [name]Elle[/name], [name]Ella[/name], [name]Isabelle[/name], [name]Isabella[/name], etc.

My name starts with a J and my future husband’s name also starts with a J. I do NOT want to be the “J” family, so that eliminates a lot of names that I love like [name]Jude[/name], [name]Julia[/name], [name]Jane[/name], and [name]Juliet[/name].

I love [name]Maximus[/name] but can’t use any of the ‘max’ names due to family reasons.

All the others I love but couldn’t use are just because of how wacky they are and I can’t imagine them working on an actual person.

• anon.

I have loved the name [name]Angus[/name] since high school, but my married last name ends in an “is” and it sounds bad with [name]Angus[/name]. That also eliminates [name]Nicholas[/name] (which my husband loves), [name]Davis[/name], [name]Fergus[/name] and any name that ends like that.

[name]Isabeli[/name]- I love this name so much but with the popularity of [name]Isabella[/name]/[name]Isabel[/name], there is no way I would use it.

[name]Bluebell[/name]- I also love this name, but recognize that it might be a little out there. I might use it for a middle if I am particularly gutsy.

[name]Seamus[/name]- everyone in my family hates it.

[name]Lola[/name]- the name my best friend is planning to use.

[name]Serena[/name]- the name my other best friend is planning to use.

[name]Lukas[/name], [name]Jenna[/name], [name]Eric[/name], [name]Cole[/name], [name]Aidan[/name], [name]Shelby[/name]- my cousins names who are the same age as me so that would be sort of weird.

[name]Juno[/name]. [name]LOVE[/name] it to death, but would just not work on a kid who was shy or nerdy or something. I can’t really see it on a really girly-girl either. It’s the kind of name you have to have a personality to match to pull it off.

I may have to put my beloved [name]Louisa[/name] to rest if my s-i-l has a girl. She has the name [name]Lucy[/name] and since the kids will be very close [name]Lucy[/name] and [name]Lulu[/name] would be too similar I think…And I think she might secretly want [name]Louisa[/name] to get the nn [name]Lucy[/name].

[name]Moira[/name] because our last name is insanely [name]German[/name] and that would just sound silly

[name]Pippin[/name] because I don’t think the world is ready for a boy named [name]Pippin[/name]!

Girls
[name]Zipporah[/name], I love the sound and nickname Zippi, but it is just too unusual and my daughter might wish I hadnt chosen it.
[name]Hephzibah[/name]- Same reason as above
[name]Indiana[/name], because its a boys name, but I prefer it for a girl
[name]Beatrice[/name]
[name]Storm[/name]
[name]Azalea[/name]
[name]Persephone[/name]
[name]Sunny[/name]

Boys
Caerwyn- I like its mystical sound but it sounds also a little feminine for a man
[name]Azariah[/name]- Nice but a mouthful and extravagant
[name]Lenny[/name]- [name]Ive[/name] been told its an “elderly” name
Perren- Cute when hes a kid but may suffer in his teens

[name]Clementine[/name]! I love it so much but DH said absolutely not. I think it works well with our other choices of [name]Penelope[/name] and [name]Wilhelmina[/name].

I love all of those names! But I couldn’t use [name]Penelope[/name] because it’s my brother’s daughter’s name.

We can’t use [name]Scarlett[/name] (even though it’s one of our favorites) because our last name is Johansson (spelled differently, but the same name). We also can’t use any [name]Jo[/name]- names for the same reason – and we love [name]Johanna[/name], [name]Josephine[/name], and [name]Joel[/name].

I’ll never use the name [name]Lisa[/name] or any variation because it’s my mother’s name, and we had a falling out when I was a teenager so it’s not something I want to be reminded of every day.

[name]Agnes[/name]. I love this name but when I picture it on a little girl it just seems so ugly… And I highly doubt my family and friends would like it.
[name]Daffodil[/name]. Basically the same reason. A lot of flower names are used as girl’s names but I just can’t picture this name on a little girl. And the nickname [name]Daffy[/name]? Ugh that just wouldn’t work.

For boys, [name]Arthur[/name]. My husband just can’t stand the name. It makes me so sad because I love the name!

For girls, [name]Emma[/name]. Its so popular and I know a couple of Emmas already. I just couldn’t use it.

For the most part, I won’t use names of people I know either. At least, not for first names. Probably not for a middle name either, but I’d be willing to make an exception if the right name came along.

[name]Tuesday[/name]- Quirky and fun but teasing would be awful
[name]Coraline[/name]- Slightly creepy association with the film
[name]Zipporah[/name]- Guilty pleasure- too long and unusual
[name]Opal[/name]- Very vintage and very grown up for a little girl

Perren/[name]Perry[/name]- [name]Lovely[/name], but I always just end up thinking of [name]Perry[/name] The Platypus!
[name]Alonzo[/name]- Sounds a bit like it should be in [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name]
Barnanbas- Big purple dinosaur

I actually knew a [name]Tuesday[/name] growing up. She totally rocked the name! From what I remember people would hear her name and say “like the day?” and then drop it.

I [name]LOVE[/name] the name [name]Alfred[/name], and I desperately want to use it someday, but I feel like everyone hates it. Which makes me really sad, because [name]Alfred[/name] is my favorite name in the whole universe. Boys, girls, alien monkeys, doesn’t matter. [name]Alfred[/name] is my fave. <3

I love [name]Astrid[/name] and thought I would use it if I had a girl this time around, but then I started asking around and everyone agrees that in [name]North[/name] [name]America[/name], there is just too much opportunity for teasing with this name (ass, ass-turd, etc) whereas in Europe, no problem, but chances that we’ll relocate to Europe are very minimal. So no [name]Astrid[/name] and it’s no longer an issue since I’m having a boy. I love [name]Grayson[/name]/[name]Greyson[/name] for a boy, but it has that trendy/made up kind of feel that I want to avoid.

[name]Caroline[/name]-absolute favorite but I know SOOOO many!
[name]Astrid[/name]-Ass
[name]Adair[/name]-doesn’t go with [name]Phoebe[/name]
[name]Clementine[/name]-DH LOVES this, so I would possibly use it. Seems a bit over-the-top, though

[name]Piper[/name]- I love it but it sounds funny with my last name.
[name]Felicity[/name], [name]Tegan[/name]- [name]Love[/name], but husband dislikes.
[name]Isabella[/name], [name]Katelyn[/name], [name]Emily[/name], [name]Samantha[/name], [name]Kyleigh[/name]- names already in use in the family.
[name]Imogen[/name], Harlowe, [name]Tierney[/name], [name]Saoirse[/name]- I like these alot but I just can’t picture using them.
[name]Amelie[/name], [name]Angelique[/name], [name]Marguerite[/name], Callais- Names I love when pronounced with a French accent, but really dislike when pronounced in the American accent.
[name]Keiko[/name], [name]Mika[/name], [name]Hiroko[/name]- I just feel funny using these names, as I am not [name]Asian[/name] in any way.
[name]Analeigh[/name]- A favorite when pronounced [name]Ah[/name]-nuh-lee, but there are a lot of different ways to pronounce it. I took it off my name list after even my husband couldn’t remember how I like to pronounce it.