Names You Love- With Nicknames You Don’t

There are names I love but refuse to consider because I really dislike the associated nicknames. If a name has multiple nn’s and I like just one of them, that’s fine because I can establish the chosen nn. I know you can insist on using the full name, but just the idea of a name being inevitably shortened to a certain disliked nn can deter me from ever using it. Below are some of my examples. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you nameberries have any examples of this?

[name_m]Shepherd[/name_m], nn [name_m]Shep[/name_m]
[name_m]Tobias[/name_m]/[name_m]Tobiah[/name_m], nn [name_u]Toby[/name_u]
[name_f]Corinne[/name_f], nn [name_u]Cory[/name_u]

Oh my gosh yes!

I love [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] but cannot stand [name_u]Ollie[/name_u], one of the reasons I have it in the mn spot.

Some more…
[name_m]Patrick[/name_m] - [name_u]Pat[/name_u]. I love [name_u]Paddy[/name_u] though.
[name_f]Camilla[/name_f] - [name_f]Millie[/name_f]. I love [name_f]Cami[/name_f] though.
[name_f]Felicity[/name_f] - [name_f]Flick[/name_f], [name_f]Flossy[/name_f], Lissy
[name_m]Nicholas[/name_m] - [name_u]Nicky[/name_u]
[name_m]Caleb[/name_m] - [name_m]Cale[/name_m]

[name_u]Eloise[/name_u]. I love this name, but I do not like [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] or [name_f]Ella[/name_f] at all.

Yes! My husband would like to use the name [name_m]Frederick[/name_m] but, I don’t like nicknames [name_m]Fred[/name_m] or [name_u]Freddie[/name_u]. The only nickname I could see being used is [name_m]Fritz[/name_m]. Well of course he doesn’t like that haha!

Other examples:

[name_m]Albert[/name_m], [name_m]Alfred[/name_m], [name_m]Al[/name_m]
[name_m]Gerald[/name_m], [name_u]Gary[/name_u]
[name_m]Joseph[/name_m], [name_m]Joe[/name_m]
[name_u]Michael[/name_u], [name_m]Mike[/name_m]
[name_m]Thomas[/name_m], [name_m]Tom[/name_m]

I’m not really into nicknames. I’ve always called my children by their full names.

[name_m]Cillian[/name_m]/[name_m]Killian[/name_m] because the nicknames are [name_m]Killy[/name_m], Kill or [name_m]Ian[/name_m], none of which appeal to me (maybe [name_m]Killy[/name_m], a little bit bit I’m not sure it’s practical)

I don’t like the most common nickname for my own name either- [name_f]Gracie[/name_f]. It makes my name a bit harder to love when people add in that i

I 100% agree with [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] “[name_u]Ollie[/name_u]”, [name_m]Patrick[/name_m] “[name_u]Pat[/name_u]”, and [name_m]Nicholas[/name_m] “[name_u]Nicky[/name_u]”. Such handsome names - but the nns, esp. [name_u]Nicky[/name_u], are just meh.

Others:

[name_f]Isabel[/name_f] / [name_f]Isabella[/name_f] - don’t like [name_u]Izzy[/name_u] or [name_f]Bella[/name_f]
[name_m]Gilbert[/name_m] - [name_m]Gil[/name_m] or [name_u]Bert[/name_u], not really
[name_m]Charles[/name_m] - [name_u]Charlie[/name_u]
[name_m]Philip[/name_m] - [name_u]Phil[/name_u]
[name_f]Cecilia[/name_f] - Cici, [name_f]Lia[/name_f]
[name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] - [name_f]Fifi[/name_f], [name_f]Lia[/name_f]

Also [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] in general.

[name_f]Matilda[/name_f]: I love the name but really don’t like [name_f]Tilly[/name_f], which is the go-to nickname in the UK, or [name_u]Mattie[/name_u]. [name_f]Tilda[/name_f] is OK but still not my favourite.

[name_f]Ismay[/name_f]: [name_u]Izzy[/name_u] or [name_f]May[/name_f]

[name_f]Jessamy[/name_f]: [name_u]Jess[/name_u] or [name_f]Amy[/name_f]

[name_f]Madelief[/name_f]: [name_f]Maddie[/name_f]

[name_f]Demelza[/name_f]: I love [name_u]Dell[/name_u]/[name_f]Della[/name_f] but not [name_f]Demi[/name_f] or [name_u]Mel[/name_u].

[name_f]Ramona[/name_f]: [name_f]Mona[/name_f], [name_u]Romy[/name_u]… I quite like [name_f]Ro[/name_f] though.

[name_f]Astrid[/name_f]: [name_f]Attie[/name_f], [name_f]Asti[/name_f]… I think this one is much better left intact.

[name_f]Anouk[/name_f]: Ditto. [name_f]Annie[/name_f] is sweet but a bit vanilla, and Noukie just sounds rude! I love [name_f]Anoushka[/name_f] as a pet name though.

[name_m]Samson[/name_m]: [name_u]Sam[/name_u] is lovely but a bit boring in comparison.

[name_m]Matthias[/name_m]: Ditto with [name_m]Matt[/name_m].

[name_m]Bartholomew[/name_m]: Not sold on [name_m]Bart[/name_m], [name_u]Barry[/name_u], Tolly, Mew, or even [name_m]Bear[/name_m]. I quite like [name_u]Bar[/name_u] though.

[name_u]Corin[/name_u]: [name_u]Cory[/name_u]

[name_m]Endymion[/name_m]: Endy? Ender?

[name_m]Valentin/name_m: [name_u]Val[/name_u]

[name_u]August[/name_u]/[name_m]Augustin[/name_m]: not keen on [name_u]Gus[/name_u] or [name_m]Augie[/name_m]

[name_f]Adelaide[/name_f], nn [name_f]Addy[/name_f]

I love [name_f]Victoria[/name_f], because it is a strong, feminine name, but I hate [name_f]Vicky[/name_f]!
(No offense to all that go by that name!)
I was never a big fan of [name_f]Tori[/name_f], but still better than [name_f]Vicky[/name_f]. I would use [name_u]Rory[/name_u] as a nickname, though. It’s a bit of a stretch, but do-able :slight_smile:
I prefer [name_u]Rory[/name_u] on a boy but it’s a cute nickname for a girl.

[name_m]Tobias[/name_m]!! [name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_m]Tobias[/name_m], but I despise [name_u]Toby[/name_u]. Also [name_f]Imogen[/name_f] nn [name_f]Immy[/name_f], [name_u]August[/name_u]/[name_m]Augustus[/name_m]/[name_f]Augusta[/name_f] with any of its nicknames.

Some of these we still considered because they have alternative nicknames that we like, but sometimes one bad nickname kills it for me.

[name_f]Adelaide[/name_f], [name_f]Adeline[/name_f], etc. - hate all of the [name_f]Addie[/name_f]'s
[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], [name_f]Eliza[/name_f], etc. - so over [name_f]Ellie[/name_f], [name_f]Elle[/name_f], & [name_f]Ella[/name_f]
[name_f]Corinne[/name_f] - [name_u]Cory[/name_u]
[name_f]Seraphina[/name_f] - [name_f]Sera[/name_f]
[name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] - [name_f]Maggie[/name_f]
[name_f]Annabel[/name_f], [name_u]Bellamy[/name_u] - [name_f]Belle[/name_f], [name_f]Bella[/name_f]
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f] - [name_u]Mattie[/name_u]
[name_f]Tamsin[/name_f] - [name_m]Tam[/name_m], [name_f]Tami[/name_f]

I’ve knocked a few names off my list due to crummy nicknames.

[name_f]Calista[/name_f]- dislike [name_f]Callie[/name_f] and [name_f]Calla[/name_f]
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f]- dislike [name_u]Mattie[/name_u], love [name_f]Tilly[/name_f] but it’s not as intuitive in the US
[name_f]Annabel[/name_f]- dislike [name_f]Annie[/name_f] and [name_f]Bella[/name_f], love [name_f]Belle[/name_f] but I dislike the [name_f]Annabelle[/name_f] spelling
[name_u]August[/name_u]- dislike Auggie and [name_u]Gus[/name_u], I’d just call him [name_u]August[/name_u]
[name_u]Eloise[/name_u], [name_f]Eleni[/name_f]- can’t use [name_f]Ellie[/name_f]. I’d go for [name_f]Elsie[/name_f] or [name_f]Lola[/name_f] for [name_u]Eloise[/name_u] and just [name_f]Eleni[/name_f] or maybe [name_f]Elle[/name_f]
[name_f]Seraphina[/name_f]- dislike [name_f]Sera[/name_f], love the idea of Phin ([name_u]Finn[/name_u]) though
[name_f]Magnolia[/name_f]- dislike [name_f]Maggie[/name_f], love [name_f]Nola[/name_f] or [name_f]Nolia[/name_f]
[name_m]Christian[/name_m]- dislike [name_u]Chris[/name_u], love [name_u]Kit[/name_u]
[name_m]Donovan[/name_m]- dislike [name_m]Don[/name_m] and [name_m]Donny[/name_m], I’d just call him [name_m]Donovan[/name_m]

So onboard with [name_u]Michael[/name_u] / [name_m]Mike[/name_m]!

I love [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] but am not a big fan of [name_f]Kate[/name_f]/[name_f]Katie[/name_f]/[name_f]Cathy[/name_f]/Cath

I have a [name_f]Jacqueline[/name_f] but never wanted her to be [name_u]Jackie[/name_u]. She’s 5 now, and aside from my best friend’s family, which for some reason doesn’t bother me, we’ve avoided it. She doesn’t mind with them, but will correct anyone else that she is [name_f]Jacqueline[/name_f] or [name_m]Jacque[/name_m] ([name_m]Jack[/name_m]) :smiley:

Expecting our third and considering [name_u]Artemis[/name_u] for a girl but [name_m]Arty[/name_m] as a nickname kills me.

[name_m]Gabriel[/name_m]. I love it, but I loathe [name_m]Gabe[/name_m], so i’ll probably never use it.

[name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] - [name_f]Maddie[/name_f]
[name_f]Katherine[/name_f] - [name_f]Kathy[/name_f]
[name_m]Gerard[/name_m] - [name_u]Gerry[/name_u]

[name_f]Diana[/name_f]
[name_f]Candace[/name_f]
[name_f]Madeline[/name_f]
[name_f]Annabel[/name_f]

:frowning:

One of my favourite girls names is [name_f]Alaska[/name_f], but I am quite adverse to the nickname [name_u]Allie[/name_u] which seems unavoidable! I would consider using [name_f]Alaska[/name_f] anyway, but it makes me sad that such a beautiful name could/would be overlooked and shortened to the ubiquitous (in my opinion!) nickname [name_u]Allie[/name_u]!

I am the same with [name_f]Victoria[/name_f]. It’s my favourite girls name but I cannot bring myself to call my daughter [name_f]Vicki[/name_f] or [name_f]Tori[/name_f]. I wouldn’t mind [name_f]Vicki[/name_f] because I have a really good association with it, but [name_f]Tori[/name_f] sounds a bit stuck up and petty. If I had a daughter named [name_f]Victoria[/name_f], I’d call her [name_f]Tia[/name_f]. It’s a bit of stretch but I much prefer it to [name_f]Tori[/name_f].

Also, [name_f]Diana[/name_f]. Another favourite of mine, and I have a great association with it, but not the nickname [name_f]Di[/name_f]. I’d use [name_f]Ana[/name_f] probably.

[name_m]Edison[/name_m]. I like [name_m]Eddie[/name_m] but don’t like [name_m]Ed[/name_m].