Names you loved but now don’t?

Are there any names you really liked and for some reason or another they just lost their magic?

I used to love these names in my teens and now they are just a big no.

Girls
[name_u]Skylar[/name_u] / [name_u]Skyler[/name_u]
[name_f]Luna[/name_f]
[name_f]Martina[/name_f]
[name_f]Catalina[/name_f]
[name_f]Sophia[/name_f]
[name_f]Danielle[/name_f]

Boys
[name_u]Alexis[/name_u]
[name_m]Martin[/name_m]
[name_u]Julian[/name_u]
[name_m]Jacob[/name_m]
[name_m]Gage[/name_m]

1 Like

I suck at boys’ names, so I’ll do my girls.

Alexandra, [name_f]Penelope[/name_f], [name_f]Phillipa[/name_f], [name_f]Philomena[/name_f], [name_f]Maggie[/name_f], [name_f]Lucy[/name_f]/Lucille, [name_f]Gabrielle[/name_f], [name_f]Isabella[/name_f], [name_f]Mae[/name_f], [name_f]Starr[/name_f]

2 Likes

For some reason, I liked [name_f]Maggiemae[/name_f] for a while. ??? Why???

1 Like

I loved [name_u]Emery[/name_u] for a while and was convinced my first daughter would be [name_u]Emery[/name_u] [name_f]Suzanne[/name_f]. I think for boys the only ones would really be [name_m]Rafferty[/name_m] or [name_m]Theodore[/name_m], although I still like them for other people. [name_m]Just[/name_m] not for me :slight_smile:

1 Like

[name_f]Penelope[/name_f] comes to mind. Had I had a daughter 6 years ago (thank god I didn’t as I would’ve only been 14), her name most definitely would’ve been [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] Jane. I still think it’s nice, but wouldn’t use it. Also, when I was around 14 I wanted twin girls named [name_u]Brooklyn[/name_u] & [name_u]Skylar[/name_u] bc I had read a [name_u]Niall[/name_u] Horan fanfic and that was what the author named his & mc’s twin daughters :joy: [name_f]Sadie[/name_f], [name_f]Abigail[/name_f], and [name_f]Brielle[/name_f] come to mind as well, but those we all when I was under 10. [name_f]Abigail[/name_f] was just because I loved [name_f]Abigail[/name_f] [name_u]Breslin[/name_u].

I know there are a lot more, those are just the ones I can think of right now.

2 Likes

Way back when, I had a reasonably kreatyve style, and for a while, I remember absolutely adoring the names [name_u]Rae[/name_u] and [name_u]Leigh[/name_u], and with [name_u]Leigh[/name_u] came every possible -leigh or -ley ending name. More recently, since I’ve started my list on my phone (so only since the start of this year), I always liked liked [name_f]Ione[/name_f] and [name_f]Emme[/name_f] pronounced in a fake french accent (Ihy-ohn and Ehm), [name_f]Esme[/name_f], [name_u]Delaney[/name_u], [name_f]Delilah[/name_f], [name_f]Leonie[/name_f], [name_u]Wynne[/name_u], [name_f]Cora[/name_f] and [name_f]Stella[/name_f]. They’re all fine, but I think I’m evolving. I still really like [name_f]Ione[/name_f], just pronounced the actual way this time!

1 Like

For girls I used to love [name_f]Olivia[/name_f], [name_f]Norah[/name_f], [name_u]Bailey[/name_u] (I still like it), [name_f]Isabella[/name_f], [name_u]Harper[/name_u], [name_u]Brooklyn[/name_u] and [name_u]Riley[/name_u]. I still like [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] and [name_f]Isabella[/name_f] but they’re way too popular for me to actually use and I just don’t love them anymore.

For boys I used to love [name_u]Brayden[/name_u], [name_u]Mason[/name_u], [name_u]Noah[/name_u], [name_u]Logan[/name_u] and [name_m]Jaxon[/name_m]. I still like [name_u]Mason[/name_u] and [name_u]Logan[/name_u] but wouldn’t use them because I like other names way more and they’re too popular.

1 Like

[name_m]Isaac[/name_m]
[name_u]Hudson[/name_u]
[name_u]Tate[/name_u]

[name_f]Mia[/name_f]
[name_f]Lily[/name_f]
[name_f]Carrie[/name_f]

I was really into [name_f]Harmonia[/name_f] or [name_f]Monica[/name_f] for a girl when I was younger.

1 Like

I used to love [name_u]Jordan[/name_u] for a girl. Now I think it’s okay, but I’m not as into it.

2 Likes

I loved [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] and [name_u]Milo[/name_u] when I first joined Nameberry. I still really like them, but I think I’ve just been overexposed at this point.

I remember being torn over [name_u]Jasper[/name_u] and [name_m]Casper[/name_m] for a while when I was first pregnant with [name_f]Juno[/name_f] too. Now I like [name_m]Caspar[/name_m] (this spelling) 100x more than [name_u]Jasper[/name_u].

For a girl: [name_f]Eva[/name_f]. I loved this name for years and for a long time I thought I’d name my first daughter this. I find it quite plain and unexciting now, though I still think it’s a nice name aesthetically.

2 Likes

The only one I can really think of is [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f]. I used to love it, probably about 8-10 years ago, but now I don’t care for it at all.
There are plenty of names that used to be my absolute favorites, that aren’t necessarily favorites anymore, but still on my long list: [name_m]Tobias[/name_m], [name_u]Holden[/name_u], [name_f]Emmeline[/name_f], and [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] are the big ones that come to mind.

1 Like

I’m the same with Jasper and Casper/Caspar. I love both but I’ve come across Jasper way too much both on here and in real life and it’s lost its lustre. Now I’m obsessed with Caspar (although I haven’t decided yet which spelling I prefer); it’s such a brilliant alternative and so much less popular! I love how cool and spunky it is whilst also having that vintage vibe to it.

For me, the main ones that I used to love that now I don’t are Siena, Scarlett and India. I loved these when I was young - before Sienna Miller came onto the scene - but now I’m not really a fan. I still think India is beautiful but I wouldn’t use it and Siena and Scarlett just don’t do it at all for me anymore.

2 Likes

Oh my goodness… for me it’s Violet.

Before I joined NB, I loved Violet with all of my heart. I was positive that my first daughter would be a Violet.

But now I just fell out of love with her. Kind of disappointing…
She’s kind of lost her luster tbh. Oh well.

1 Like

My style changes literally so often, but from back when it didn’t
[name_f]Beatrix[/name_f], [name_f]Juliet[/name_f], [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] – I was so sure I was going to love [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] forever. It was everything I loved it a name: nicknames, a surprising ending, could absolutely fit in at Hogwarts. I loved [name_f]Bea[/name_f] more than anything–and then I started to find [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] really harsh and hard to wear, and then my style changed immensely and while it appeals to me on nostalgia’s roller skates, I don’t think I’ll ever love it like I did again. [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] and [name_f]Amelia[/name_f], too, I loved the actual soul out of. Now they just feel… tired. I also know six or seven [name_f]Amelia[/name_f]’s under 10, so hearing it again and again made it a bit anonymous. They’re still beautiful names! [name_m]Just[/name_m] not ones I’d use.

For boys, [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] & [name_u]Elliot[/name_u]. I loved [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] with the nickname [name_u]Teddy[/name_u], and honestly applauded myself because [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] means bear. I think I just got tired of [name_m]Arthur[/name_m]–that and my mom hates it. [name_u]Elliot[/name_u] I loved so, so much–but it was also around the time that everyone loved [name_u]Elliot[/name_u]. I still think it’s really sweet, and I love [name_f]Elly[/name_f] names, but my mom (again!) would do the ET voice, so [name_u]Elliot[/name_u] obviously became a no-go. [name_m]Even[/name_m] though I actually really like ET and welcome the connection.

When I was 16 my style was so classic and now 7 years later :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

For girls:
[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]
[name_f]Amy[/name_f]
[name_f]Rebecca[/name_f]
[name_f]Hazel[/name_f]
[name_f]Penelope[/name_f]
[name_f]Cora[/name_f]
[name_f]Willa[/name_f]
[name_f]Eloise[/name_f]

For boys
[name_m]Casper[/name_m]
[name_m]Ambrose[/name_m]
[name_m]Ruaridh[/name_m]
[name_u]Basil[/name_u]
[name_m]Barnaby[/name_m]

1 Like

I used to really like [name_f]Vita[/name_f] and Loreal for girls and [name_m]Tavian[/name_m] for a boy. Oh and don’t forget Agnes which used to be my favourite name but now I just LIKE it.

1 Like

When I was a child I named all of my baby dolls [name_f]Crystal[/name_f] :joy: I to this day have no idea why but my mom said that even the boys were named [name_f]Crystal[/name_f] and I would tell people about all my Crystals often! I do know that now as an adult I probably wouldn’t use the name but it makes for a fun story.

2 Likes

Ash immediately comes to mind.

Girls: I used to love [name_f]Maya[/name_f], [name_f]Janina[/name_f], and [name_f]Alison[/name_f] – now they are nowhere near my list! I also loved [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] and [name_f]Anna[/name_f], but both are a little bit plain now (I still really like them, but I like others more). [name_f]My[/name_f] favourite name for a long time was [name_f]Eloise[/name_f], but DH hates it so much that it’s fallen into the “will never get to use” box and has lost its shine due to his disdain for it, ha.

Boys: [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] and [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] come to mind, but I don’t think I would use either one now.