Names you pronounce wrong

Adelais: I thought it ended in -lace, but I think it’s -lay or -lye. Took me a while to get on board with the correct pronunciations but I like -lay now.

Cassia: the pronunciation is pretty intuitive (CASS-ee-uh) but for some reason, I thought it was cuh-SIGH-uh, which I LOVED. I still prefer my pronunciation, I think it flows better in combos, especially as a middle, but I love the name enough that I can be happy with the correct pronunciation.

Colm: I thought it was cole-m, one syllable (similar to “helm” I guess?). I love the name but don’t love the correct pronunciation because it just sounds like column.

The name [name_u]Rhys[/name_u] …pron: Reece
For years I pronounced it [name_u]Rye[/name_u]-zz (like Rise) :see_no_evil:

Evelyn -i know it’s ev-uh-lin or Ev-lin but I always want to say Eev-lin

Emmeline - i say line not leen

Calliope - ca-lee-oh-pee rather than ca-lye-oh-pee

Idris as eye-dris rather than Ih-dris

Isaiah - i want to say ih-zy-ah

So I just found out from this comment I’ve been pronouncing [name_u]Augustine[/name_u], [name_m]Matthias[/name_m] and [name_f]Elowen[/name_f] wrong for ages lol. I probably won’t stop, they’re too ingrained in my brain the way I know them :sweat_smile: @katinka

@Greyblue I thought it was CALL-ee-ope, whoops!

Also this isn’t “wrong” per se, but I only pronounce [name_f]Anastasia[/name_f] “aw-nuh-staw-zee-uh” which is unusual where I live.

St. [name_u]Augustine[/name_u] is a big city in [name_f]Florida[/name_f] and it’s said AW-gus-teen. [name_m]Augustin[/name_m] would give me those other pronunciations.

And yes, come to the EL-oh-wen dark side. We have cookies :smiling_imp:

One that comes to mind is [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f]. I love the -line pronunciation, which is how the only [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] I’ve ever met said it. [name_f]My[/name_f] sister’s middle name is [name_f]Madeline[/name_f] (lynn) so that’s not an option for me. Not that [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] really is either because of my sister’s name but I say it -line.

3 Likes

Oh, I also say [name_f]Ada[/name_f] like add-uh. I thought it was the same name as [name_f]Atta[/name_f] from A Bug’s Life for so long that it’s stuck. I like add-uh more than ay-da anyways.

I have been pronouncing [name_f]Audre[/name_f] as “[name_u]Ode[/name_u]” :grimacing: until I saw the poll today.

Me too!

1 Like

I’m almost positive that this is a correct pronunciation. I’ve heard it used in historical shows and films, especially when the [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u] in question is male

2 Likes

This is more of an accent thing, but I can’t pronounce [name_f]Aurora[/name_f]. [name_f]My[/name_f] tongue gets stuck on the first ‘R’ sound.

1 Like

I also say suh-LEEN. I had it in my uc for a while as [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] [name_f]Selene[/name_f] and only like it pronounced this way. I think that is the way the character in Underworld pronounced it so we may not be all wrong.

2 Likes

I always say [name_m]Lachlan[/name_m] as lack-lann, even though I know how to say it. I say [name_m]Isaiah[/name_m] as ih-say-uh, because any other way sounds weird in my accent. Also any [name_f]Io[/name_f]- names come out the Welsh way (yoh) even if they’re not Welsh names.

[name_m]Ah[/name_m], same. Joys of not being a native [name_f]English[/name_f] speaker.

An addition to my list

Wow another one

Another one…

Yessss another one

Oooh another one

Yes, another one

Isn’t that correct :grin: Another addition to the list

[name_m]Ah[/name_m], yes.

7 Likes

SAH-ga

1 Like

In an American accent SAH-ga and SAW-ga sound the same. Maybe when they write “SAW”, it actually correspond to “SAH”.

3 Likes

I have an American accent and I think SAH-ga is different. Like [name_m]Bob[/name_m] Sagat or Saturday would be SAH… But saga/Saga is SAW-guh like a wood saw.

1 Like

Someone might’ve already said it, but I pronounced [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] like cantaloupe for the longest time…

2 Likes

Mila. I always want to say it like [name_u]Milo[/name_u] instead of like [name_f]Mia[/name_f].

I pronounce it that way too (to be fair, it’s a legitimate pronunciation and more common in some areas like where I live, it’s just not the original one) and I don’t like the traditional [name_u]French[/name_u] pronunciation.

I also always find myself wanting to pronounce [name_m]Matthias[/name_m] with the stress on the first syllable and mispronouncing the middle one–my instinct is to say MAH-thee-us. I’ve never met anyone with this name and my first introduction to it was the Redwall books and that’s how I pronounced it in my head then.

1 Like

I always pronounced [name_f]Saoirse[/name_f] as [name_m]Say[/name_m]-or-suh which I know, doesn’t make sense at all and is nowhere near the actual pronounciation. And [name_f]Mireille[/name_f] as Me-ray-elle instead of Me-ray-er. And I still pronounce [name_f]Eira[/name_f] as Ee-ruh instead of Ay-ruh.

My name is [name_f]Saoirse[/name_f] (I say it “seer-sha”) and I got called “sah-royce” the other day. Your pronunciation is closet at least haha

1 Like