names you "shouldn't" like but do

[name]Do[/name] you have any names that you really like even though they break all your rules for what a good name should be?

I think [name]Bentley[/name] is really cute even though it has the trendy “ley” ending, is the name of a car, and has the unfortunate nickname “Bent.” I wouldn’t actually use it, but I do like it.

I don’t generally like trendy unisex girls names, but I really love the name [name]Piper[/name].

What about you?

I like classic names, like [name]Noah[/name] and [name]Benjamin[/name] and [name]Lydia[/name], so there are a few names that I like that aren’t simlar to the rest at all. One- [name]Conrad[/name]. No idea why I like it, just do. Also, [name]Zevi[/name] and Zavey [prn, [name]Zee[/name]-vie and Zay-vee].

Addidon- there is a disease, a pop culture reference and it’s painfully trendy.

[name]Emily[/name]- It’s soo common

[name]Autumn[/name]/[name]Summer[/name]/[name]Haven[/name]- Word names. I claim to hate word names but love those.

[name]Brooke[/name]- Babbling [name]Brooke[/name]. But I can’t help but love it.

[name]Carson[/name]- Trendy.

[name]Margaret[/name]- Oldfashioned.

I can’t think of any more now.

I [name]LOVE[/name] the name [name]Ryder[/name]… but I’m told by friends and family that it sounds “rude” or “fake”… but I can’t help it I love it… I want to use it for the baby I’m pregnant with but just can’t bring myself to because of the opinions of those close to me… if it was just one or two i’d ignore it but it’s all of them… including my hubby.

I [name]LOVE[/name] the name [name]Jezebel[/name]. But can’t be used because of the bible reference. I was not raised in a church and my husband is Catholic, he thought it was hilarious when I suggested this name for our first child. I have learned a lot.

Probably lots of nature names:
Boys: [name]Canyon[/name], [name]River[/name], [name]Moss[/name], [name]Rock[/name]
Girls: [name]Daisy[/name] (cute, too cute), [name]Berry[/name], [name]Juniper[/name], [name]Heather[/name]
All of those could be used by someone more brave than me. I love the name [name]Heather[/name] but it is dreadfully dated. I love [name]Heather[/name] plants and I am sad that I can’t use the name, maybe someday I will have a cat/dog named [name]Heather[/name].

[name]Madison[/name] - it goes against everything I believe makes a good name but I still secretly like it.

[name]Molly[/name] - I also think [name]Jezebel[/name] has a great sound, as does [name]Bellatrix[/name] in my opinion! [name]Both[/name] are a bit too out-there for me, not to mention the Biblical reference for [name]Jezebel[/name] and the [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name] reference for [name]Bellatrix[/name]…

For a boy, I really like [name]Chase[/name]. It seems simple, straightforward, and modern to me, which I like. But, it doesn’t really work with my classic - think [name]Henry[/name] and [name]Nathaniel[/name] - style, now does it?

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

I love this thread! We need a corresponding thread called names you “should” like but don’t.

Girls

[name]Abigail[/name] - too popular, but I just love it!
[name]Ardith[/name] - doesn’t sound feminine and pretty, but somehow I love it. My husband would hate it.
[name]Brenna[/name] - I don’t think it is that cool, but it has a piece of my heart.
[name]Camden[/name] - sounds too unisex and trendy, but I think it’s so pretty.
[name]Hollis[/name] - unisex and sounds like a last name.
[name]Keira[/name] - trendy, I just love it.
[name]Leona[/name] - That [name]Leona[/name] Helmsley was awful, but I love her first name.
[name]Rowena[/name] - That “ween” sound in the middle is kind of ugly, but I just love [name]Rowena[/name].
[name]Tallulah[/name] - Lots of people don’t like this name, but I have to confess that I really like it.
[name]Thandiwe[/name] - I am just fascinated by this name. I think a lot of people hate it.

Boys

[name]Andrew[/name] - has been so popular, but I just [name]LOVE[/name] it.
[name]Bernard[/name] - not cool
[name]Daniel[/name] - too popular, but I love it.
[name]Earl[/name] - I think it’s funny
[name]Floyd[/name] - see [name]Earl[/name]
[name]Hector[/name] - ditto
[name]Henry[/name] - so popular
[name]Hernando[/name] - see [name]Earl[/name]
[name]Kenneth[/name] - not cool
[name]Mark[/name] - not cool
[name]Neil[/name] - not cool
[name]Paul[/name] - not cool

We should have that corresponding thread, [name]Susan[/name]. I know exactly what girl name I’d list - maybe you do, too…

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

[name]Ellery[/name] - On principle, I’m strongly opposed to unisex names…except for this one.

[name]Myrtle[/name]
[name]Floyd[/name]

No one likes these, but I secretly do!

[name]Jocasta[/name] - not unless you want your daughter to be teased about marrying her own son, but I [name]ADORE[/name] the way it sounds

[name]Hudson[/name] - too trendy, but I look at the river every day and the [name]Hudson[/name] [name]River[/name] [name]Valley[/name] is one of my favorite places in the world

[name]Frances[/name] - if i used this name, I would be naming my daughter after a badger from one of my favorite children’s books. Who wants to be named after a rodent?

[name]Lux[/name] - trendy tv show name

[name]Aiden[/name].

I don’t have rules concerning what names I like (though I do have them limiting what I could actually use). The closest thing I have are names that don’t fit any pattern.

[name]Lois[/name] - [name]Don[/name]'t actually know why. Most other people group it with [name]Phyllis[/name] and [name]Gladys[/name], which were common around the same time. I don’t, and that’s what allows me to like it.

[name]Sailor[/name] - I like some word names, but this one I wouldn’t expect. I hated it when I first saw it. I still hate [name]Scout[/name]. Now [name]Sailor[/name] is… well, not exactly in my comfort zone, but I’ve realized I like names that are just around my comfort limit.

[name]Meilani[/name] - My newest guilty pleasure. Okay, I suppose this actually qualifies as a rule break. This isn’t a Hawaiian name. This is [name]Melanie[/name] spelled to look Hawaiian (and presumably pronounced slightly differently to go with the spelling). I love the sound of [name]Leilani[/name] and Teilani, but wanted a name like them that didn’t have a meaning relating to heaven.

Girls

[name]Stormy[/name] - This has an awful meaning and is a little too hippy for me, but I secretly adore it!
[name]Winnie[/name] - I don`t even get why I like this name, I just do! The only thing, its the sound a horse makes.
[name]Kira[/name] - It goes against everything I say about too-trendy names, but I love it!
[name]Sorcha[/name]/[name]Saoirse[/name]/[name]Sasha[/name] - All the “sha” ending names. I find them a little too different for actual use, and [name]Sasha[/name] sounds a bit like a dog name, but I just love them!

Boys

[name]Romeo[/name] - For obvious reasons this isnt usable, but I love the way it sounds! [name]Jasper[/name] - I just cant get over this name, but at the same time I really don`t like it!

Funny! I love the name [name]Dusty[/name] for a girl. But has the same problems as [name]Stormy[/name]. I once knew a [name]Diane[/name] who’s nn was [name]Dusty[/name] as a child. At least she had a real name to fall back on.

I once knew a boy named [name]Shadow[/name]. Seriously, that was his whole real name!

[name]Just[/name] curious why you think [name]Kira[/name] is too-trendy? I have a [name]Kira[/name] and you wont hurt my feelings by saying anything bad about her name (it’s just a name), I just want to know if I’m missing something. Growing up, I only knew one [name]Kira[/name], She went to my high school (I graduated in '95) The name in the US was #251 last year. Clue me in :slight_smile: Seriously I’ll take no offense to anything you have to say. I still love [name]Kira[/name]'s name even after [name]Shakira[/name] (gag).
I am totally aware I dropped the ball with [name]Mia[/name]'s name. So my [name]Mia[/name] may forever be known as [name]Mia[/name] C.

Names I shouldn’t like but do -

Girls

[name]Ava[/name] - that’s right.
[name]Emily[/name] - Despite popularity I love saying this name.
[name]Brita[/name] - yep like the water filter.
[name]Coraline[/name] - I like this better than [name]Caroline[/name] (now I’ll duck from the throwing stones)
[name]Isabella[/name] - So how do we make a name unpopular?
[name]Sofia[/name]/[name]Sophia[/name] - ditto
[name]Adelyn[/name]
[name]Olivia[/name] - only because of it’s rise in popularity is it listed here.
[name]Indigo[/name]
[name]Samantha[/name]
[name]Shea[/name]/[name]Shae[/name]/[name]Shay[/name]
[name]Shannon[/name] - in the middle.

Boys

[name]Brady[/name] -very [name]Brayden[/name]
[name]Boden[/name]
[name]Christopher[/name] - is it really that uncool?
[name]Damien[/name] - like the evil child from The Omen.
[name]Indigo[/name]
[name]Hayden[/name] - I have a friend with this name but he’s 30.
[name]Michael[/name] - #2 for what 40 years?
[name]Ollie[/name] - as a whole name.
[name]Shane[/name]
[name]Nixon[/name]

[name]Ava[/name]
[name]Isabella[/name]
[name]Sophia[/name]
[name]Emma[/name]

No need for explanation- it’s obviously why I can’t like these. I had them all on a list from about 6 years ago and thought I was way ahead of the curve. Wrong. I named my car [name]Sophia[/name] to mourn its loss.

I’m with disa_lan— [name]How[/name] do we “unpopularize” [name]Isabella[/name]? I [name]LOVE[/name] it, but it is way too popular =( As well as [name]Emma[/name], [name]Audrey[/name], and [name]Abigail[/name]!

Boys…[name]Noah[/name], [name]Jacob[/name], [name]Eli[/name] names, [name]Andrew[/name]…sigh poor, poor names.

Call me crazy (and I’m sure you will) but I’m loving me some [name]RENESMEE[/name]!!!

I didn’t post it, but maybe because there’s so many K names like [name]Kayla[/name], [name]Kylie[/name], [name]Korey[/name], etc… There’s also the actress [name]Keira[/name], so maybe that’s where the trendiness comes in?