Names You Used to Hate and Now Love

Hey! Not sure if this thread exists or not already but I thought it would be fun to talk about names you used to hate but now love!

I used to hate [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] and think it was way too old ladyish but now I just love it and adore the nn [name_f]Dot[/name_f]! I used to also dislike [name_u]Frankie[/name_u] on a girl but now I love it.

Those are the only two I can think of off the top of my head but I bet there are more! :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I have a few! [name_f]Sybil[/name_f], [name_f]Frances[/name_f] and [name_u]Artemis[/name_u] comes to mind for girls and [name_m]Ezekiel[/name_m], [name_m]Joshua[/name_m] and [name_m]Cole[/name_m] for boys

2 Likes

[name_f]Josephine[/name_f] and [name_f]Clementine[/name_f] come to mind. Used to despise both of them and now they’re some of my favourites :smile: I know there’s several more (NB really changes your taste in names!), but I can’t remember what they are lol

2 Likes

A big one for me was [name_m]Diego[/name_m]! Was supposed to be my little sister’s name if she was a boy and I thought it was horrible! Then I saw it on The Umbrella Academy and grew to love it! It’s on my list now!!

1 Like

Let’s see…
[name_f]Edith[/name_f]
[name_f]Sylvie[/name_f]
[name_f]Flora[/name_f]
[name_u]Louise[/name_u]
[name_f]Harriet[/name_f]
[name_f]Nell[/name_f]
[name_f]Dorothy[/name_f]
[name_f]Constance[/name_f]
[name_f]Petronella[/name_f]
[name_f]Sabine[/name_f]

All of those come to mind as names I used to dislike but now absolutely love! Generally, they seem to be old-fashioned choices that I have just really come around to over time. :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

[name_f]Winifred[/name_f]
[name_f]Prudence[/name_f]
[name_f]Constance[/name_f]

[name_m]Edmund[/name_m]
[name_u]Flynn[/name_u]
[name_u]Rudy[/name_u]

1 Like

Mabel and [name_m]Edmund[/name_m]! I use to dislike them but now I think they’re adorable

2 Likes

Dorothea, [name_u]August[/name_u], [name_m]Clarence[/name_m], [name_f]Constance[/name_f], [name_f]Harriet[/name_f], [name_f]Isadora[/name_f], and [name_f]Maeve[/name_f].

1 Like

I used to absolutely hate Ks in names, and often even names starting with K. McKenzie, McKayla etc were all the rage when I was born so I grew up with way too many of them + the Kardashians were also very popular so I knew many Kaylas, Kaylees, Kylies, etc. Throwing a ‘k’ in the middle of a name instantly made me think “kreaytive spelling.” If it could be spelled with a C, I couldn’t see it any other way.

So I’m very surprised that I am now loving [name_m]Klaus[/name_m], [name_m]Aksel[/name_m] & [name_m]Aleksei[/name_m], and am not revolted by the sight of [name_f]Leokadia[/name_f] (it’s even in my current signature as it goes better in that theme than [name_f]Leocadia[/name_f] does.) I’ve also softened up to [name_m]Konrad[/name_m], [name_f]Karlotta[/name_f], Kasimira, and [name_f]Kallista[/name_f]. If you told 2017 me that I’d prefer [name_m]Luka[/name_m] over [name_u]Luca[/name_u] I’d have laughed.

2 Likes

Use to really dislike [name_u]Elliot[/name_u], [name_f]Agnes[/name_f], [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] etc. names that I thought were too old, now I love a “vintage” name :joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

August ([name_u]Gus[/name_u])
[name_u]Cameron[/name_u] (B or G)
[name_u]Delaney[/name_u]
[name_m]Edward[/name_m] ([name_m]Ward[/name_m])
[name_f]Odessa[/name_f]

2 Likes

Girl

1 Like

Girl

Never used to like [name_f]Helena[/name_f] much but really like it now.

1 Like

I used to see no appeal whatsoever in [name_f]Georgia[/name_f], [name_f]Olivia[/name_f], [name_f]Amy[/name_f], [name_f]Becca[/name_f], or [name_f]Diana[/name_f], but now I really like them.

1 Like

Ines
[name_f]Inez[/name_f]
[name_u]Palmer[/name_u]
[name_u]Parker[/name_u]
[name_u]Liam[/name_u]
[name_m]Wesley[/name_m]
[name_f]Sadie[/name_f]
[name_f]Chloe[/name_f]
[name_f]Calliope[/name_f]
[name_f]Kiersten[/name_f]
[name_u]Mallory[/name_u]
[name_m]Craig[/name_m]
[name_m]Harris[/name_m]
[name_f]Althea[/name_f]

1 Like

There are surely lots, but the one that’s really obvious in my mind is [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f]. What did I have against her? She’s lovely!

1 Like

My most recent addition is [name_f]Arabella[/name_f], I used to hate it but now I’ve absolutely fallen in love!

I also never really liked [name_f]Margot[/name_f], [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] and [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u] but now they are some of my favorites.

1 Like

Astrid and [name_m]Albert[/name_m]

1 Like

I used to really dislike [name_m]Tobias[/name_m], especially the nickname [name_u]Toby[/name_u], but now [name_m]Tobias[/name_m] is one of my top names, and I’ve even started to like cute little [name_u]Toby[/name_u] too.

I also used to dislike word or place names that weren’t in widespread use ([name_f]Hope[/name_f] or [name_u]Dakota[/name_u] were okay, but names like [name_f]Blossom[/name_f] or [name_u]London[/name_u] were out). Now I’ve come to like/love some, especially [name_m]Oslo[/name_m], [name_u]River[/name_u], [name_u]Fox[/name_u], [name_u]Wren[/name_u], and [name_u]Rain[/name_u].

1 Like