Names you used to hate but now you love

What are some names you used to be really against but then fell in love with for whatever reason?

For me, it’s girls names with a harsh ‘G/r’ sound like [name_f]Greta[/name_f], [name_f]Greer[/name_f], etc. Now I love [name_f]Greta[/name_f]! I’ve also fallen for the name [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] which I never would have considered before.

As for boys, it has the be the classic [name_m]Peter[/name_m]! I just realized it sounds so sweet and energetic, and I love it paired with a more quirky middle. I believe there’s a user with the combo [name_m]Peter[/name_m] [name_f]Holiday[/name_f] which I love.

Let me know some of your favourite names that have changed your mind about.

[name_f]Kaia[/name_f] - I thought it sounded strange and incomplete, but now it’s one of my absolute favourites! I decided to use it on one of my characters and I think that helped change my mind.
[name_f]Anouk[/name_f] - just like [name_f]Kaia[/name_f], I thought it sounded a bit clunky and off, but having seen it in combos on here, I’ve grown to appreciate it
[name_m]Wilder[/name_m] - when I first saw it, I thought it was a bit odd and a little silly, because it’s a bit like describing someone as more wild? But now, I really like the adventurous, surnamey feel it has

Classic/place names Like [name_f]Georgia[/name_f] and [name_f]Virginia[/name_f]. I used to think they were very stuff and a bit silly because they were also names of states (not where they started but still) and variations like [name_f]Georgette[/name_f] felt clunky.

But over time names with place associations, vintage names, and clunky names have all grown on me and so when I meet a little [name_f]Georgia[/name_f] or [name_f]Virginia[/name_f] I find their name so charming. I hope to start hearing [name_f]Georgette[/name_f] more too.

[name_f]Matilda[/name_f] is another one I used to think of as a little clunky but honestly It’s so beautiful.

And then [name_f]Tabitha[/name_f] and [name_f]Jemima[/name_f]. When I was younger I thought they were sweet but a little silly sounding. Now I see them as mature names with a touch of whimsy, and the [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] association doesn’t hurt them either.

I used to not like [name_u]Elliott[/name_u] or any spelling variations, but now I’ve fallen for the [name_u]Eliot[/name_u] spelling due to the literary connections.

There are also the obscure feminine versions of masculine names that I wasn’t a fan of: names like [name_f]Ernestine[/name_f], [name_f]Alphonsine[/name_f], and [name_f]Leopoldine[/name_f]. They are still guilty pleasures, but I love them nevertheless.

[name_m]John[/name_m] - I used to think it was unbelievably boring, but it has really grown on me.
[name_f]Karolina[/name_f] - I hated [name_f]Caroline[/name_f] and all of its variations, but [name_f]Karolina[/name_f] has a nice sound to it and it looks nice. I still don’t like [name_f]Caroline[/name_f] though.

[name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] - I remember thinking as a child that this was a horrible, old-fashioned name. I like it now though.

[name_f]Imogen[/name_f]
[name_f]Edith[/name_f]
[name_m]Alfred[/name_m]
[name_m]Wilder[/name_m]

[name_m]Robert[/name_m]- I cannot stress how much I love this name now, but when I was younger it sounded way too old.
[name_m]Wyatt[/name_m]- I never liked it until it was one of the middle name options for my godson. I think hearing it out loud so much definitely helped me warm up to it, lol.
[name_m]Koa[/name_m]- I don’t even remember why I didn’t like this one.
[name_f]Nylah[/name_f]- It seemed maybe too trendy at first, but I’ve seen practically nobody else talk about it.
[name_f]Plum[/name_f]- I can’t remember why I didn’t like this one at first either because it’s so sweet. (Get it?)

If this thread was “Names you thought you loved but actually hated,” I would have another list a mile long lol :slight_smile:

Caroline
Rose
Bonnie
David/Dave
Kenneth/Kenny
Isabel
Julie
Rebecca
Rachel

[name_f]Edith[/name_f], [name_f]Marigold[/name_f], [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], [name_f]Trixie[/name_f], [name_f]Patience[/name_f], [name_f]Winifred[/name_f], [name_f]Ruth[/name_f], [name_f]Josephine[/name_f], [name_u]Ruby[/name_u], [name_f]Constance[/name_f], [name_f]Audrey[/name_f]

used to loathe them- now they’re all in my sig!

[name_f]Antonia[/name_f]

I used to really hate it. Like a lot. It was ugly and old-fashioned to me, but something changed few weeks ago, and now I’m feeling more and more comfortable with the name. And I love it because someone very special to me is called [name_f]Antonia[/name_f]. Plus, I find the nickname [name_f]Andie[/name_f] pretty cute and wearable.

I couldn’t imagine anyone naming a child any of these, but NOW I can…
[name_f]Georgia[/name_f]
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f]
[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]
[name_f]Clara[/name_f]
[name_f]Edith[/name_f]
[name_f]Claire[/name_f]
[name_f]Sibyl[/name_f]
[name_f]Victoria[/name_f]

[name_f]Natalie[/name_f] - I’ve never been a fan of [name_f]Natalia[/name_f], but I’ve slowly fallen in love with the [name_m]French[/name_m] version.

[name_f]Stephanie[/name_f] - I used to hate it due to the pink-haired girl in ‘Lazy Town’, but the association has slowly worn off. I still wouldn’t give it to my child, but I like it a little more now.

[name_m]Jonathan[/name_m] - I used to think it sounded too stuffy, especially as I didn’t like any of the nicknames, but now I love the full name!

[name_m]Christopher[/name_m] - I suppose I can thank [name_u]Chris[/name_u] [name_m]Evans[/name_m], [name_u]Chris[/name_u] [name_m]Pratt[/name_m], and [name_u]Chris[/name_u] Hemsworth for this. The [name_m]Christopher[/name_m] [name_u]Robin[/name_u] association of my childhood has slowly disappeared, replaced with [name_f]Marvel[/name_f] actors, so I love the name now!