Names you view as neutral

What are some names that are not typically or currently considered gender-neutral that you personally view or would like to see as neutral?

Since names becoming more neutral so often starts with a name considered masculine, I’m especially interested in names that either transitioned far into being viewed as feminine (Meredith, [name_u]Leslie[/name_u], etc) or names that have been traditionally feminine. For example, I would like to see [name_f]Dawn[/name_f] get use as a gender neutral name.

1 Like

nothing “traditional” is coming to mind at the moment, but every english word name is gender-neutral to me! willow is one of my favourite names for a boy, for example

3 Likes

[name_u]Willow[/name_u] & [name_u]Hazel[/name_u]!

2 Likes

I’m loving Waverley/Waverly for either gender right now - along with [name_u]Merritt[/name_u], [name_u]Scout[/name_u], [name_u]Sloane[/name_u], [name_u]Vyvyan[/name_u] (why this spelling :person_shrugging: who knows?), Indy/Indie, [name_u]Sandy[/name_u], and [name_u]Bryn[/name_u]!

Some others include [name_f]Delta[/name_f], [name_u]Sailor[/name_u], [name_u]Onyx[/name_u], [name_u]Forest[/name_u], [name_u]August[/name_u], [name_u]Jude[/name_u], [name_u]Sky[/name_u], [name_u]Nev[/name_u], [name_u]Sol[/name_u], [name_u]Storm[/name_u], [name_u]Franklin[/name_u], [name_u]Everett[/name_u], [name_u]Tay[/name_u], [name_u]Joss[/name_u], [name_u]Murphy[/name_u], [name_u]Quincey[/name_u] and [name_u]Shay[/name_u].

Maybe some more ‘unexpected’ ones - ones that aren’t really popular enough to really lean one way or the other but would still probably feel gendered to some: [name_u]Cove[/name_u], [name_u]Breeze[/name_u], [name_u]Kestrel[/name_u], [name_u]Hero[/name_u], [name_u]Harbor[/name_u], [name_u]Haven[/name_u], [name_u]Harvest[/name_u], [name_u]Quill[/name_u], [name_u]Brighton[/name_u] and [name_u]Camber[/name_u].

1 Like

Originally masculine/neutr, very much femm only now:
Meredith
Evelyn
Florence

Originally feminine/neutr, very much masc only now
Douglas
Joss

Some virtue names:
Joy

Other names:
James
Evan (the only Evan I know is a girl, and it is the romanisation of the Chinese name 依凡 Ifan. Could also be spelled Yifan, Ivane / Evane or Ifanne in her lol I guess.)
Elliott
Paulie
Emelin

1 Like

Technically [name_u]Evan[/name_u] is gender neutral, but I have only met one girl [name_u]Evan[/name_u]. I know a few male Evan’s, but I am CRUSHING on it on a girl right now. I knew a girl named [name_u]Mason[/name_u] in college and I like it for both as well.

2 Likes

I view [name_u]Val[/name_u] as neutral. There are some famous male Vals (actor [name_u]Val[/name_u] [name_u]Kilmer[/name_u], author [name_u]Val[/name_u] Emmich) but I also know a lot of women named [name_f]Valerie[/name_f] who go by [name_u]Val[/name_u].

[name_f]Valentina[/name_f] is becoming pretty popular for baby girls, and I’d love to see [name_m]Valentino[/name_m] nn [name_u]Val[/name_u] (or other iterations: [name_m]Valentin[/name_m] & Valentine) move up in the ranks for boys too!

1 Like

I view [name_u]Leslie[/name_u] and [name_u]Lonnie[/name_u] as neutral because i have both female and male relatives who had that name. Also peternell

1 Like

[name_u]Laurie[/name_u] / [name_u]Lauren[/name_u] (i think [name_u]Lauren[/name_u] was originally a masculine name, though now it’s changed a bit :blush:)

1 Like

[name_u]Hazel[/name_u], [name_u]Sage[/name_u], [name_u]Sloane[/name_u], [name_u]Blythe[/name_u], [name_u]Kit[/name_u], and [name_u]Leith[/name_u]

1 Like

Names I would like to see as neutral:
[name_u]Vivian[/name_u]
[name_f]Lilian[/name_f]

1 Like

According to Wikipedia, my favorite name of all time – [name_u]Ivy[/name_u] – is unisex.

I’d love to change my name to it, but unfortunately I doubt my government will agree with Wikipedia, so I probably can’t.

1 Like

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you live somewhere where you can only use “approved” names (and [name_u]Ivy[/name_u] would not work for your legal gender)?

That really stinks that the government limits your name in that way. :frowning:

[name_u]Jordan[/name_u], [name_u]Emerson[/name_u], [name_u]Jaden[/name_u], [name_u]Quinn[/name_u], [name_u]Rowan[/name_u], [name_u]Jesse[/name_u], [name_u]Cameron[/name_u], [name_u]Hayden[/name_u], [name_u]Charlie[/name_u], and all those name’s alternate spellings

1 Like

[name_u]Paris[/name_u] is widely used for females but I love this name for a boy. This is one of my top two contenders for males but I wouldn’t like this on a girl.

Adley-I heard this first several years ago on a boy in a horror movie but it could be feminine also. This is my number one pick for a girl, but if I reached my child limit and didn’t have any girls I’d name my last son this.

1 Like

[name_f]Kinneret[/name_f] nn [name_u]Kit[/name_u], [name_u]Kahlo[/name_u], [name_u]Shiloh[/name_u], [name_u]August[/name_u], [name_u]Cedar[/name_u], [name_m]Elio[/name_m], [name_u]Jasper[/name_u], & [name_m]Rainier[/name_m] are all on my list for any gender!

1 Like

[name_m]Franklyn[/name_m]

I wish [name_f]Rose[/name_f] were used more often for first or second boys’ name. [name_f]My[/name_f] great grandmother’s middle name was Roses which I think could make a cool boys’ name too.

2 Likes

Same! And I think [name_u]Henry[/name_u] and [name_u]James[/name_u] and [name_f]Mary[/name_f] regardless of gender could be cool MIDDLE names.

1 Like