Names you wish were unisex.

I just started a thread over in the boys name section about some good friends who are seriously considering the name [name_f]Savannah[/name_f] for their new son. They love the name and the nickname ‘[name_u]Van[/name_u]’, but for some reason don’t like it on girls.

Personally I don’t think [name_f]Savannah[/name_f] is all that feminine, and even if it was it’s not a bad thing.

Either way, It got me thinking, are there names you wish you could use on either gender without needing to explain?

[name_m]Elijah[/name_m] and [name_m]Nehemiah[/name_m], are both names we would love to use for girls…
[name_m]Landon[/name_m], and [name_m]Scott[/name_m] would be cute on girl’s too…

Friends of ours named their daughter [name_m]Jacob[/name_m], call her [name_m]Jake[/name_m]. I don’t like that for a girl, but to his or her own…

[name_m]Maximilian[/name_m], most actual boy names for girls like [name_m]Elijah[/name_m], etc. Some more feminine names like [name_f]Scarlet[/name_f], [name_f]Trinity[/name_f], etc for boys. I think pretty much all words/places/gems/nature names are unisex, but some "work’ better on others but to say for example [name_f]Rose[/name_f] is a girl name really isn’t true it’s by default unisex. It might work better on a girl, and used more often on girls yes.

Others I love are [name_f]Saoirse[/name_f] for a boy, as well as [name_f]Autumn[/name_f], [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] for a girl.

[name_f]Payson[/name_f] for a boy!

Not sure if this is what you mean, but I wish there was a girl’s name with the obvious nickname [name_u]Drew[/name_u].

WDYT of [name_f]Alexandrina[/name_f] nn [name_u]Drew[/name_u]? :slight_smile:

If you use all the boys names in the world on girls, there will no boys names left!
When I thought opened this thread, I was expecting to see names like [name_u]Madison[/name_u] which are unisex but have gone almost entirely to girls. Or vice versa.
I think [name_m]Elijah[/name_m] and [name_m]Maximilian[/name_m]! are better on boys. Leave the boys something! [name_m]Landon[/name_m] could be spelled [name_m]Landyn[/name_m] and be right on trend with a lot of girls names.

[name_m]Edward[/name_m],[name_m]Ryder[/name_m], [name_u]Hunter[/name_u], [name_m]Beau[/name_m], [name_m]Gideon[/name_m], [name_m]Wolf[/name_m].

I will propably think more later :stuck_out_tongue:

I’d love to see a little girl named [name_m]Connor[/name_m].

I’d love to see all the boys names that have become girls names get reclaimed (at least partially).

I’m not sure on this. [name_f]Savannah[/name_f], [name_f]Scarlet[/name_f], [name_f]Rose[/name_f] and [name_f]Saoirse[/name_f] are so historically female, any boy named those would DEFINITELY have a hard time in school. The same for girls named [name_u]Mason[/name_u] and [name_u]Hayden[/name_u]. However, I do know a female [name_m]Connor[/name_m], and I don’t mind that. Mine are mostly for boys, though.

[name_u]Hayden[/name_u] (boy)
[name_u]Leighton[/name_u] (boy)
[name_u]Addison[/name_u] (boy)
[name_u]Mackenzie[/name_u] (boy)

[name_u]Hadley[/name_u] (girl)
[name_u]Fallon[/name_u] (girl)
[name_u]Peyton[/name_u] (girl)
[name_f]McKenna[/name_f] (girl)

[name_f]Drusilla[/name_f]?
[name_u]Andrea[/name_u] apparently can have drew as a nn.

Or like Cruella… [name_f]Druella[/name_f]

:slight_smile:

I agree with [name_u]Peyton[/name_u] on here its DEFO all girl to me…:slight_smile:

It’s weird how it’s more common to see traditional boys’ names become unisex than the other way round. I’m thinking of names like [name_u]Elliott[/name_u], [name_u]Rowan[/name_u], [name_u]Rory[/name_u] etc which have made quite a comfortable transition to being unisex. The same just doesn’t seem to happen to girls’ names.

Month names are weird ones. [name_u]November[/name_u] is unisex, [name_u]August[/name_u] is to some extent but usually male, yet [name_u]January[/name_u], [name_f]April[/name_f], [name_f]May[/name_f] and [name_u]June[/name_u] are very much female. I’d like to see an emergence of male ‘month’ babies to redress the balance - how about [name_u]March[/name_u]?

PS: Thanks to this thread, I now have [name_m]Johnny[/name_m] [name_m]Cash[/name_m]'s song ‘A boy named [name_f]Sue[/name_f]’ stuck in my head…

I like [name_u]Douglas[/name_u], [name_m]Forrest[/name_m], and [name_u]Micah[/name_u] for girls and [name_u]Cary[/name_u], [name_u]Kelly[/name_u], and [name_f]Greer[/name_f] for boys.

I suppose [name_u]Cary[/name_u], [name_u]Kelly[/name_u], and [name_f]Greer[/name_f] are already considered unisex, but there are names that are unisex in theory and those that are unisex in practice, and lists of the two often have few names in common.

[name_f]Johanna[/name_f] for a boy.

[name_f]Indigo[/name_f] for a boy. I made an appeal on the Names We’ve Missed thread, but I don’t think it’s got through. :frowning:

There’s the very similar feminine forms Maximiliane and Maximilienne.

For boys, I love the names [name_u]Eden[/name_u], [name_u]Ruby[/name_u], [name_f]Jade[/name_f], [name_f]Nova[/name_f], [name_u]Dove[/name_u], [name_u]Wynn[/name_u], [name_u]Ariel[/name_u] (traditionally masculine), [name_u]Aubrey[/name_u] (ditto), [name_u]Morgan[/name_u] (ditto), [name_u]Jules[/name_u] (ditto), [name_u]Robin[/name_u] (ditto), [name_u]Shiloh[/name_u] (ditto), [name_u]Paris[/name_u] (think myth, not city), and [name_f]Tesla[/name_f] (I still consider this a masculine name). [name_u]Marlowe[/name_u] is also a front-runner on my boy’s list, even though it’s given to more girls in the US. And I must admit that the character [name_f]Jayne[/name_f] in Firefly gave me a real love for this name on a guy.

However, I absolutely detest boy’s names on girls.