Names you wish you could love

What are the names you WISH you could love?

Maybe they are similar to another favorite but not close enough. Maybe you love it except for the weird association you can’t shake. Maybe you can’t even put your finger on it, but as much as you want to like it, you just can’t.

A few of mine:
[name_f]Zelda[/name_f]- I love Z-names, but this one goes less [name_m]Fitzgerald[/name_m] and more [name_u]Legend[/name_u] of, for me.
[name_f]Claire[/name_f]- I can’t get past that scene in The Breakfast Club where [name_m]Judd[/name_m] [name_m]Nelson[/name_m] balks at [name_f]Molly[/name_f] Ringwald’s name.
[name_m]Hugh[/name_m]- I really like [name_m]Hugo[/name_m], but I can’t get behind [name_m]Hugh[/name_m] for some reason

There are a lot more but those are a few that are coming to mind at the moment. Interested to hear what names fall in this category for others, and what the reasons are, if you have one.

[name_u]Brooke[/name_u]- My SO’s favourite name. It’s seems like I should like it, it’s a short nature name which I love many of! But I just can’t get completely on board woth [name_u]Brooke[/name_u]. I know at least two that are in their mid 20’s, so it feels a little dated to me.
[name_f]Stella[/name_f]/[name_f]Esther[/name_f]/other names that mean star- I absolutely adore the name [name_f]Star[/name_f], and hope to use it someday. My SO in not so into it, and would love something more common, but no other “[name_f]Star[/name_f]” names matches up to it for me!

[name_u]Dakota[/name_u]- This is one name my SO and me mostly agree on. It actually fits my style quite well, and it’s a bit of a surprising love for him, but I wish I could just fall completely in love with it. I hate that people say it “[name_u]Dakoda[/name_u]”, it sounds so lazy.

[name_m]Madden[/name_m]/[name_m]Madoc[/name_m]/[name_m]Maddox[/name_m]- These names seems perfect for me. But I can’t get past the Mad- part.
[name_u]Charlie[/name_u]- I really lik this for a girl, but since my SO loves [name_m]Charles[/name_m] for a boy, I’m trying out the idea of a little boy [name_u]Charlie[/name_u]. Not loving it yet. Too classic and common.
[name_u]Jet[/name_u]- This is another one that fits in my style, plus it has meaning for both my SO and me. It seems like a perfect middle for us, but somehow there’s names with less meaning that I still love more! Might be the sound that I don’t love?

[name_f]Esther[/name_f]. I love biblical names. I think the Biblical account of [name_f]Esther[/name_f] is very inspiring. I think the meaning is lovely. But there is something about the sound that turns me off no matter how many times I try to get it onto my short list. I think it is because it rhymes with so many unpleasant words.

[name_f]Mercy[/name_f]. Beautiful name and beautiful meaning. But my kids are [name_f]Mercy[/name_f] [name_m]Watson[/name_m] fans, and I think we are all stuck on thinking of [name_f]Mercy[/name_f] as a pig.

[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]. It is such a beautiful, elegant name. It is regal, biblical, old-fashioned, and yet totally usable. It has endless nicknames. But the enduring popularity of it makes it seem almost plain to me since my other kiddos have more unusual names. The same is true for [name_f]Mary[/name_f].

@jemberry Your reasoning on Elizabeth are exactly why my husband can’t get into Jane. And why I can’t get into Sarah.

I agree with you on the sound of Esther as well.

I don’t like [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] or [name_u]Juniper[/name_u] and I’m not really sure why. They both have elements that I like in a name and I feel like I should love them but I just can’t get myself on board with them.

I also really like [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] on paper, but when spoken out loud it just feels too heavy and awkward.

[name_f]Beatrix[/name_f], [name_f]Zelda[/name_f] and [name_f]Daisy[/name_f].