Names you'd love to use but can't

I’m a [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] tell your hubby to reconsider :smile::smile:

1 Like

I love [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f], but you just single-handedly upped my love for just [name_f]Rose[/name_f] by, like, 50 points. I’m so sorry you can’t use it.

I would totally do this if I were you. Prim is a great nickname.

[name_f]My[/name_f] initial instinct was to add an extra syllable to that name when I first read it! I read it as Felicitita! :rofl: Not an easy one at all

1 Like

Bee! I absolutely love the name [name_f]Bee[/name_f] for a girl. However, I know that being named [name_f]Bee[/name_f] would caused her trouble in adulthood, so I switched the spelling to [name_f]Bea[/name_f]. It is a shame though. [name_f]Bee[/name_f] itself is so perfect.

Atticus: Go [name_m]Set[/name_m] A Watchman kind of ruined it and I’m worried it could be perceived as pretentious
[name_m]Bastian[/name_m]: partner vetoed it
[name_u]Remy[/name_u]: partner vetoed it

Matilda: too popular in Australia for my liking
[name_f]Juno[/name_f]: my partner vetoed it
[name_f]Beatrix[/name_f]: partner vetoed it

There’s quite a theme as you can see!

1 Like

Modesty-I really like the Puritan-y virtue names. I think modesty is more than just clothes it also has a lot to do with your heart and attitude, being humble, patient and selfless. I love Maude, and Dessy, and especially Mo, as nicknames. But I worry that everyone will think I’m pushing a virtue on my daughter. My mother also, sadly, thinks that it’s too out there.

Beatrice-This is such a classic! The meaning of “she who brings happiness” is darling. Beatrice is feminine, royal, and literary. There are Bea and Tris as nickname options, perhaps even Beata the latin word for blessed. It perfectly suits my style. The only downfall and the reason I’ll never be able to use it or Beatrix (which I might like even more) is because it will be seen as an honour name for someone I definitely do not want to honour.

Cassiopeia, Andromeda, Ariadne, Athena, Persephone, Minerva, Calliope-I’m Catholic so as much as I love these names, their roots in ancient Greek and Roman religion is a no. There are very obscure saints named Ariadne and Calliope but since more people would recognize them for their mythological origins instead of any saintly associations I sadly won’t be using them either.

Any Italian, Russian/Slavic names (ex Lorenzo, Lucrezia, Yeva, Vasilisa, Dimitri)-my ancestry is very very French and I live in a very very French-Canadian town. Unless I marry someone from one of these cultures it would probably feel to weird to use these names.

Christmas nn Kit-a pure guilty pleasure, I think my child would grow to hate me if I gave her this name. There would be no end of Christmas themed jokes.

1 Like

I’ve always loooved [name_m]Leo[/name_m] but not [name_m]Leonardo[/name_m], [name_m]Leonard[/name_m], or [name_m]Leon[/name_m]! Good idea!

ugh I love Prim! Plus I’m huuuge on the Hunger Games so I get to double it. I’m debating on it being my main middle name choice rn for [name_u]Aspen[/name_u] but the double p is throwing me off.

I love [name_f]Modesty[/name_f] too, and like you, I think of it as humility rather than conservative clothing. I am a [name_u]Christian[/name_u] though and while I don’t believe in purity culture, others would likely see it as pushing that kind of thing. I never thought of [name_f]Maude[/name_f] for a nn and I LOVE that! I’ve also thought of [name_f]Esti[/name_f] (ESS-tee), a bit basic but kind of cute. I like [name_f]Mercy[/name_f] as virtue name too, and it doesn’t have the connotations that [name_f]Modesty[/name_f] has, but I honestly like [name_f]Modesty[/name_f] more…

1 Like

We love the names [name_u]Finley[/name_u], [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] and [name_u]Aubrey[/name_u] but they are all getting too popular. I love the name [name_m]Quillan[/name_m] but our last name is [name_m]Williams[/name_m] which is a bit of a mouth full. And my husband vetoed [name_m]Barnaby[/name_m], and [name_f]Hetty[/name_f] :frowning:

Esti would be such a cute nickname! I totally agree with you on purity culture, I’d also hate for the name [name_f]Modesty[/name_f] to be seen as pushing that, it’s sadly very harmful. [name_f]Mercy[/name_f] is definitely another favourite of mine too, which is probably more usable.

1 Like