Namesake dilemma

Dh and I were thinking to the future a bit this weekend and were discussing middle names for a boy (if we ever have one!). Anyways, I would really like to name our son after him because dh was named after his dad, his dad named after his, etc. But, there’s just one problem – dh’s name is [name]Jacob[/name].

While the name [name]Jacob[/name] is great, its wildly popular and doesn’t flow well with some of the boy names we like. We are pretty dead set on Finneas or [name]Cale[/name]. Finneas [name]Jacob[/name] and [name]Cale[/name] [name]Jacob[/name] just don’t sound quite right to me. We also dislike [name]Jacoby[/name] and [name]Jake[/name] is too much of a nn to be a real middle name. I really like shortening it to [name]Jack[/name], but [name]Cale[/name] [name]Jack[/name] isn’t right and we’d probably shorten Finneas to [name]Finn[/name]. So, berries, are there any other variations of [name]Jacob[/name] that would sound good with [name]Finn[/name]/eas or [name]Cale[/name]? [name]Jacob[/name]'s middle name is [name]Scott[/name] but we would rather use some form of [name]Jacob[/name] for a middle name. Thanks guys!

[name]James[/name] is a lovely varient of [name]Jacob[/name]. :slight_smile: And while it’s still popular, it remains a classic just like [name]Margaret[/name]. Finneas [name]James[/name] has a better flow than [name]Cale[/name] [name]James[/name], but both are very nice.

I think this could be one of those situations where you have two middle names. My sister had the same dilemma and ended up naming her son [name]William[/name] [name]Patrick[/name] [name]Lee[/name] (last name has two long syllables). [name]William[/name] was the name they loved, [name]Patrick[/name] is for one grandfather and [name]Lee[/name] is for a much loved uncle.

So you could do something like:
[name]Cale[/name] [name]Andrew[/name] [name]Jacob[/name]
[name]Cale[/name] [name]Jamison[/name] [name]Jacob[/name]
[name]Cale[/name] [name]Cooper[/name] [name]Jacob[/name]

or

Finneas [name]Caleb[/name] [name]Jacob[/name]
Finneas [name]Jamison[/name] [name]Jacob[/name]
Finneas [name]Clay[/name] [name]Jacob[/name]

Those are just examples - first names that popped into my head - but you get the idea.

BTW - love the name Finneas - too cool!

What about [name]Jay[/name]?
I love the sound of Finneas [name]Jay[/name]. It may not be a true variant but I think it could work. If not I think Finneas [name]Jacob[/name] is nice as well.

I am one of those namesake purists. I think, if you want to honor someone, you honor them. The name [name]Jacob[/name] is very important to your family, and will call to mind many of the beloved men in your ds’s life. You are already sticking it in the middle, so I say keep it [name]Jacob[/name]. Finneas [name]Jacob[/name] and [name]Cale[/name] [name]Jacob[/name] sound perfectly nice together.

I agree 100% with this!

I agree 100% with this![/quote]

I’ll third this suggestion, thought I do like the idea of two middle names if the flow bothers you that much. Also, I love your daughter’s name; my sister’s name is [name]Margaret[/name] [name]Cara[/name] ([name]Maggie[/name]) and her birthday is 9.18. :slight_smile:

[name]Alexis[/name]

[name]Add[/name] me to the pile that think Finneas [name]Jacob[/name] and [name]Cale[/name] [name]Jacob[/name] are wonderful options, for a host of reasons. Everyone’s ear is different, but I like the sound of [name]Jacob[/name] as a mn with [name]BOTH[/name] those names.

Definitely agree. I like the flow of Finneas [name]Jacob[/name] slightly more than [name]Cale[/name] [name]Jacob[/name] but I think [name]Jacob[/name] works well with both names.