Naming a Valkyrie!

Hello there!

My experience with my own name fueled my interest in names in general and has made searching for a girl name impossible. I have a name that was very trendy at the time of my birth and really focused on chastity and frills. It has never fit me and used to really bother me that the meaning for my first name is “purity” and my middle is “grace” because I never felt like either of those things. As I’ve been pouring over names on this site, a lot of the boys names have cool meanings like “fierce protector” and “wise leader”, but the girl names are all flowers and beauty, etc. Then I stumbled across [name_f]Matilda[/name_f], which means “battle-mighty” and [name_f]Marcella[/name_f], which means “warlike”. I like [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] for meaning “wisdom” but it is way too popular for my tastes(my name was trendy, remember?). I was hoping you guys could help me compile a list of potential girl names that either have a compelling meaning or strike you as fierce–basically, a name you could see belonging to a Valkyrie. Any ideas? Thanks!

[name_f]Melisende[/name_f] came to mind, meaning “strong in work,” which I appreciate, but isn’t perhaps as fierce as you might like.
[name_f]Hedwig[/name_f] means “war”
[name_u]Larkin[/name_u] means “fierce” and has the added benefit of being gender neutral
[name_f]Drucilla[/name_f] means “strong”
[name_f]Aminta[/name_f] means “defender”

I was also always partial to the “bear” and “wolf” names:
[name_f]Ursula[/name_f]
[name_f]Orsa[/name_f]
[name_u]Auberon[/name_u]
[name_f]Lupe[/name_f]
Ylve

Also

[name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f] means “resolute protection”
[name_f]Brunhilda[/name_f] means “armed for battle”
[name_f]Otthild[/name_f] means “prospers in battle”
[name_f]Philomena[/name_f], “lover of strength”
[name_f]Ramona[/name_f], “wise protector”

[name_f]Nanna[/name_f] - Means “daring, brave”.
[name_f]Iphigenia[/name_f] - “[name_m]Born[/name_m] strong”
[name_f]Valencia[/name_f] - “[name_m]Power[/name_m]”
[name_f]Minerva[/name_f] - “Intellect”. [name_m]Roman[/name_m] [name_f]Goddess[/name_f] of wisdom and strategic warfare.
[name_f]Ursula[/name_f] - “[name_m]Bear[/name_m]”
[name_u]Artemis[/name_u] - Could mean “safe” or “a butcher”. [name_f]Goddess[/name_f] of the hunt.
[name_f]Philomena[/name_f] - “[name_m]Friend[/name_m] of strength”, “lover of strength”
[name_u]Blair[/name_u] - “Battlefield”
[name_f]Clotilde[/name_f]/[name_f]Clothilde[/name_f] - “Famous battle”
[name_f]Edith[/name_f] - “Prosperous in war”
[name_f]Isolde[/name_f] - Possibly “ice battle”
[name_f]Romilda[/name_f] - “Famous battle”

Also for a bit of fun here are a few of the names of the valkyries from the Völuspá and Grímnismál:
Skuld - “debt” or “future”
Gunnr - “war”
Hildr - "battle
Reiginleif - “power-truce”
Herfjötur - “host-fetter”

If you like [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] but don’t want to use it because of popularity, how about [name_f]Sonja[/name_f]/[name_f]Sonia[/name_f]? It has the same meaning, but I think it sounds much more fierce than [name_f]Sophia[/name_f].

Other suggestions:

[name_u]Hero[/name_u] - I love this name and think that it is such a cool, strong name for a girl.
[name_f]Iolani[/name_f] (hawk of royalty)
Aurda (noble strength)
[name_f]Valerie[/name_f] (strength)
[name_f]Bridget[/name_f]/[name_f]Brigid[/name_f] (strength)
[name_f]Louisa[/name_f] (renowned warrior)
[name_u]Sasha[/name_u] (defending warrior)
[name_f]Bernadette[/name_f] (brave as a bear)

My first thought was [name_f]Edith[/name_f], it’s already been mentioned.
Also love the suggested Ylva, [name_f]Minerva[/name_f], [name_f]Valencia[/name_f], [name_u]Artemis[/name_u], [name_f]Clothilde[/name_f], [name_f]Isolde[/name_f], [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] and [name_u]Hero[/name_u].

My second thought was to direct you to this awesome list of names of actual Valkyries: link
My favourites are [name_f]Eir[/name_f], Hildr (or Hild or [name_f]Hilda[/name_f]), [name_f]Kara[/name_f], Sigrun, Svava and Mist.
The name element -hild means battle and is found in a lot of different names:
[name_f]Mathilda[/name_f]
Otthilde / [name_f]Ottilie[/name_f]
Everild / Everilda
Iselda / [name_f]Isolde[/name_f] / Ishilde
Adelhild
Audhild
Alvhild / Alvilde
Hildis
Eirhild / Eirill
Magnhild
[name_f]Griselda[/name_f]
[name_f]Romilda[/name_f]
Rohild
Roshild
Siril
Solhild
Sunilda
Vivil
Venil
Hillevi
Yngvild
Iril
(complete list found on the same site as all the valkyrie names!)

Another site I use that has lists of names sorted by meaning is 20000names.com, here’s a link to their special categories section: link
It’s not super reliable, but it gives you a starting point that you can check with more reliable sources.

[name_f]Seraphina[/name_f] “ardent, fiery”
[name_f]Thora[/name_f] “thunder goddess”
[name_f]Freya[/name_f] “a noble woman”
[name_f]Augusta[/name_f] “great, magnificent”
[name_f]Aria[/name_f] “lioness”
[name_f]Zosia[/name_f] “wisdom”
[name_f]Mira[/name_f] “admirable”
[name_f]Leona[/name_f]/[name_f]Leonie[/name_f] “lioness/lion”
[name_u]Sasha[/name_u]/[name_f]Alessia[/name_f] “defending warrior”
[name_f]Bellatrix[/name_f] “female warrior”
[name_f]Zelda[/name_f] “grey battle, female warrior”