naming after family...

So. I always knew I wanted my kids to be named in a way that honors family. My daughter’s first name is a play on my mom’s, and her middle is after one of my husband’s grandmothers.

Because I got the first name, I told him our second could be the other way around - his family first, then mine. Problem is, his family he wants to honor has AWFUL names. [name_u]Lucky[/name_u] for me, in his culture you only need to use the first letter, but they’re still letters I dislike and I find myself compromising on names I really am only "okay"with to honor them. (Which… Kills name nerds.)

What do I do?? They have no middle names. And no real meanings we can duplicate elsewhere. [name_m]How[/name_m] else do we name after them but open up to more options??

PS… I was SO hoping one of their middle names would be [name_m]Joseph[/name_m] because I [name_f]LOVE[/name_f] [name_f]Josephine[/name_f]… No such luck! :wink:

Hmm. Could you tell us some letters and maybe we can help find a name that you haven’t thought of?

Well, the two names in question he wanted to name off of are [name_m]Walter[/name_m] and [name_m]Norman[/name_m]. I am not a fan. The berries on here have listed some amazing names that start with W and N for me, but the girl ones just don’t quite strike the right note.

For boys I really like [name_m]William[/name_m] (W for [name_m]Walter[/name_m], plus my grandmother [name_u]Vivian[/name_u] was nicknamed “[name_m]Bill[/name_m]” because she was a tomboy!!) and [name_m]Wesley[/name_m] (W for [name_m]Walter[/name_m] and a “direction” name that means “[name_u]West[/name_u],” like how [name_m]Norman[/name_m] means “[name_u]North[/name_u]”).

For girls I am leaning towards [name_f]Willa[/name_f] or [name_f]Neve[/name_f], and they’re both beautiful names, but I just don’t love them the way I love [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] or [name_f]Marietta[/name_f] or [name_f]Seraphina[/name_f]. And I definitely don’t love them the way I love [name_m]William[/name_m] and [name_m]Wesley[/name_m].

Maybe I just better cross my fingers for a boy? :slight_smile:

[name_m]William[/name_m] and [name_m]Wesley[/name_m] seem like two really good options for your family.

As for the ladies, there are some names in your style that use Ws and Ns.

W: [name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f], [name_f]Wisteria[/name_f]
N: [name_f]Natalia[/name_f], [name_f]Naomi[/name_f], [name_f]Nanette[/name_f], [name_f]Nadine[/name_f]

I love the name [name_f]Neve[/name_f] :slight_smile: I say it like “Neev”
I also love [name_f]Willow[/name_f] and [name_f]Nora[/name_f]. Could you just use a W or N name as the first but call your daughter a nickname based off her middle? My step mum was the one who named her son and she still calls him a variation of his middle name :stuck_out_tongue:

Hmm. No [name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f]? Nn [name_u]Billie[/name_u] for grandma? :wink: That would be my top pick. [name_f]Nina[/name_f]? [name_f]Nell[/name_f]? So many nice “N” names…