Naming baby after family.

I have posted on here before about how I would love to name my first daughter after my mother (she passed away when I was 16). Her middle name was [name]Jean[/name], and I love it. I would use it as a middle name as well. For the longest time, I have been stuck on the name Ailey as a first name (nickname AJ). We recently found out my boyfriend’s Godmother has breast cancer, but it’s still very early. Her name is [name]Aileen[/name], and I think it’s awesome how Ailey is just a shortened version. What do you think of Ailey [name]Jean[/name]?

I also love my boyfriend’s mother’s name, [name]Kathryn[/name] [name]Ann[/name] (she goes by [name]Kathy[/name]). I would use [name]Kate[/name] as a name (or mn), but my boyfriend’s sister in law’s name is [name]Caitlin[/name] ([name]Cait[/name]), do you think it would be a big deal to use [name]Kate[/name]? I’m not saying I would do Ailey [name]Kate[/name], but just in case I decided on a different name. We both seem to like the name [name]Jovie[/name] right now as well. It is the only one he has ever said he wouldn’t mind using.

Any suggestions for names to go with [name]Jean[/name], [name]Kate[/name] or [name]Ann[/name]?

Although Ailey [name]Jean[/name] has a playful, tomboyish and Southern vibe to it, I personally wouldn’t use Ailey as a first name. Sorry, but to my ears, it’s just a nickname and lacks substance . Other alternatives for [name]Aileen[/name] is the lovely Scottish name [name]Ailsa[/name] (ayl-sah) or the Irish names [name]Ailis[/name] (ay-[name]LISH[/name]) . I think [name]Ailsa[/name] [name]Jean[/name] or [name]Ailis[/name] [name]Jean[/name] sound pretty. You can always use Ailey as a nn for [name]Ailsa[/name] and [name]Ailis[/name] if you wanted. If you prefer surnames for girls, [name]Ainsley[/name] would be another option you could use. The nn AJ has usually been used for boys as it has a more masculine sound. [name]Jovie[/name] sounds like a nickname too and is too cutesy for my taste. It would work as a nn for [name]Jovita[/name] or [name]Jovana[/name] but I wouldn’t use is a proper name. [name]Jovie[/name] would be cute on a little girl but I can’t visualize a grown up with this name [name]Jovie[/name]. In general, I think it’s best to have a “proper” name for a child so he or she can revert back to this name when they cuter nn is no longer appropriate in adulthood. Ultimately, the final decision is up to you.

I do like [name]Ainsley[/name], but I don’t think my boyfriend would go for the other names. [name]Jovie[/name] we like because it’s [name]Zooey[/name] Deschanel’s character in Elf. It’s kind of our movie, and we both love her as an actress. I do like some classic names like [name]Charlotte[/name], [name]Alexandra[/name], [name]Cadence[/name], [name]Amelia[/name], [name]Norah[/name], [name]Audrey[/name]… but he seems to like different names. We can never just agree. We won’t be having children for a while, but it’s something I want to think about now since we can never agree… it’s aggravating. I love the sound of [name]Audrey[/name] [name]Kate[/name], or [name]Norah[/name] [name]Jean[/name].

I like Ailey [name]Jean[/name]. It does sound like a nickname to me but I like long elaborate names. It’s a little cutesy for my taste but it’s still a great choice. It’s wonderful that you want to honor family members and with that driving you, you can never go wrong. Go for it!

If you love Ailey then I think you’ll regret it if you do not use it. If you want something that is a bit more “substantial” (not quite the word I want but hopefully you understand what I mean) than Ailey [name]Jean[/name] you could try Ailey RaJean/Ailey RaJeanne. RaJean is pronounced just like it looks - [name]Rae[/name] [name]Jeane[/name].

I love it that you’re honoring your mom this way.

As for [name]Kate[/name] - I do think it’s a bit too much like [name]Caitlin[/name].

Thanks for all the input. I do agree Ailey seems kind of like a nickname since that was mentioned, and it worries me. What about [name]Ainsley[/name]? Is that too popular??

I love Ailey [name]Jean[/name]. And Ailey could be after [name]Alvin[/name] Ailey too!

MY FIRST THOUGHT TOO! [name]Alvin[/name] Ailey was amazing. However; I do think Ailey as a FN is very young. [name]Ainsley[/name] isn’t really that popular at all. Makes the top 500, but that’s not really a bad thing. [name]Ainsley[/name] [name]Jean[/name] is very cute, and I feel it would age better.

Thanks everyone!!! :smiley:

So funny that you mentioned Ailey [name]Kate[/name]… my name is [name]Kaitlin[/name] [name]Aileen[/name] and I go by [name]Kate[/name]! Out of curiosity, how does she pronounce [name]Aileen[/name] and how are you pronouncing Ailey? AY-lee or EYE-lee? Because I’ve always pron. my middle name EYE-leen, but some people say it AY-leen.

Anyway, I think Ailey [name]Jean[/name] is nice. I would prefer Ailey [name]Kate[/name], because I like the double A sound, and it sounds more “grown up” to me than Ailey [name]Jean[/name]. Ailey [name]Jean[/name] sounds more nicknamey to me.

[name]Jovie[/name] I don’t really care for, but if it’s got meaning for you, you should use it! Ailey [name]Jean[/name] and [name]Jovie[/name] [name]Kate[/name] would be good sisters. And I don’t think your [name]SIL[/name] being named [name]Caitlin[/name] should put you off at all. Use [name]Kate[/name] if you want to honor [name]Kathryn[/name]!

She pronounces it as AY-leen and that’s how I have been pronouncing Ailey. I do have family members on my side who are named [name]Eileen[/name] (Eye-leen) though. I was thinking I could do Ailey [name]Kathryn[/name], and just call her Ailey [name]Kate[/name] for short… my luck my boyfriend won’t like any of these names anyway besides [name]Jovie[/name]. [name]Jovie[/name] [name]Kate[/name]/[name]Kathryn[/name] is really nice too. I just always told myself I would [name]Jean[/name] as a middle name, I’d feel horrible if I backed out of it… but [name]Kate[/name] is just really so gorgeous to me.

My 2nd favorite name is [name]Riley[/name] [name]Jean[/name]. [name]How[/name] does that sound?