Naming baby boy #2

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] everyone!

Our second baby is a boy due in [name_f]September[/name_f].
He will be little brother to big brother [name_u]Fox[/name_u].
We chose the name [name_u]Fox[/name_u] relatively easily and quickly and gave him 2 middle names, the middle names of both hisgranddad and pop.
This time round choosing a name is much harder!
[name_f]My[/name_f] husband has suggested [name_m]Eli[/name_m] which i do like but have (very mild) reservations.
Does it “match” the flare of [name_u]Fox[/name_u] ?

But mostly, my husband’s mum is [name_f]Elaine[/name_f] and I’m wondering if [name_m]Eli[/name_m] is too similar? I would be okay with choosing [name_m]Eli[/name_m] if we don’t come up with something we love more (funnily enough since he suggested it, even though i have also made some suggestions, it is the only name i seem to suddenly be referring to our little growing peanut in the privacy of my mind- it sorta almost feels “chosen” already if that makes sense?)
anyhow I feel that perhaps my mum needs to be honoured as such by choosing a name that is somehow similar to or even at least begins with the same letter/s. Her name is [name_u]Kerry[/name_u] (now- i know [name_u]Kerry[/name_u] is also a masculine name but i don’t want to outright use it!)

If we go with [name_m]Eli[/name_m] K, we will have one son who’s name honours both his granddad and pop and one who’s name honours his 2 nannas!

So after this long intro, are there any suggestions on what we could potentially use as a middle name to honour [name_u]Kerry[/name_u], without using [name_u]Kerry[/name_u]?

Thank you!

What about a different spelling of [name_u]Kerry[/name_u] – [name_u]Cary[/name_u] or [name_u]Carey[/name_u]?

Otherwise, here are some options:

• [name_u]Kerr[/name_u]
  • [name_m]Kern[/name_m]
  • [name_m]Kevin[/name_m]
  • [name_u]Kyle[/name_u]
  • [name_u]Keenan[/name_u]
  • [name_m]Kellan[/name_m]
  • [name_m]Kian[/name_m]
  • [name_u]Kieran[/name_u]
  • [name_m]Keiran[/name_m]

I think [name_u]Fox[/name_u] and [name_m]Eli[/name_m] sound great together! :blush:

I think this option would heavily depend on where you live. In Australia, these names are all pronounced differently.

@jonquils I really like [name_m]Eli[/name_m] [name_m]Ryker[/name_m] – a nice rearranging of [name_u]Kerry[/name_u].

@_thelittlefairywren I realise this, but as I don’t know where OP is from, I offered it up as an option.

[name_u]Fox[/name_u] and [name_m]Eli[/name_m] are great together!!

[name_m]Eli[/name_m] [name_u]Carey[/name_u]/[name_u]Cary[/name_u]
[name_m]Eli[/name_m] [name_m]Kester[/name_m]
[name_m]Eli[/name_m] [name_m]Kerrigan[/name_m]
[name_m]Eli[/name_m] [name_u]Keegan[/name_u]
[name_m]Eli[/name_m] [name_m]Kirk[/name_m]
[name_m]Eli[/name_m] [name_u]Kay[/name_u]
[name_m]Eli[/name_m] [name_u]Kolby[/name_u]
[name_m]Eli[/name_m] [name_m]Kendrick[/name_m]

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] there.

[name_u]Fox[/name_u] & [name_m]Eli[/name_m] are great for brothers! They’re both short, simple, & have an outdoorsy mountain guy vibe. I don’t think that [name_f]Elaine[/name_f] & [name_m]Eli[/name_m] are too close. It’s a lovely way to honor grandma. [name_m]Eli[/name_m] [name_u]Kieran[/name_u] is my vote to honor your mom. That’s beautiful! And if you want to do two middle names again, you could do something like [name_m]Eli[/name_m] [name_u]Kieran[/name_u] [name_u]Lane[/name_u]?

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps. :slight_smile:

I absolutely love [name_m]Eli[/name_m] and [name_u]Fox[/name_u] together! I don’t have any new suggestions right now, but I’m really loving previous posters’ ideas of [name_m]Ryker[/name_m] (the anagram is so cool!) or [name_u]Kieran[/name_u].

1 Like

thank you everyone it’s lovely to have so many suggestions to think on!

i love the idea of [name_m]Ryker[/name_m]- i wonder if my husband would go for that (i can see him shaking his head, no, ha)

we are Australian.
oh and if it makes any difference my MIL pronounces her name Ee-laine instead of Eh-laine if that makes sense. That’s why i associate Ee-li and Ee-laine :slight_smile:

i really like [name_u]Fox[/name_u] and [name_m]Eli[/name_m] but i am not 100% sold yet! there’s time to keep thinking yet :slight_smile:

thank you everyone!

1 Like

I love [name_u]Fox[/name_u] and [name_m]Eli[/name_m]! I think they’re very complimentary of each other. [name_m]Eli[/name_m] [name_m]Ryker[/name_m] is cute too!

If you arent 100% sold…
[name_u]Elias[/name_u]
[name_m]Levi[/name_m]
[name_u]Kai[/name_u]
[name_u]Rio[/name_u]
[name_m]Link[/name_m]
[name_m]Ames[/name_m]
[name_m]Ian[/name_m]
[name_m]Benji[/name_m]
[name_u]Ezra[/name_u]

I love [name_m]Eli[/name_m]! For middle names, I’ll make suggestions that keep a hard “k” sound: [name_m]Cedric[/name_m], [name_u]Cory[/name_u], and [name_m]Lucas[/name_m]/[name_m]Luke[/name_m].

Good luck!

I think [name_u]Fox[/name_u] is an absolutely outstanding name! And while I love the look, sound, and feel of [name_m]Eli[/name_m] - and I definitely think it’s close enough to honor [name_f]Elaine[/name_f] without being so close as to be confusing - I am one of those people who don’t think [name_m]Eli[/name_m] and [name_u]Fox[/name_u] are in the same ballpark, apart from the number of letters. Personally, I would be looking for another word or nature name for the first name slot and have [name_m]Eli[/name_m] be one of the middles.

Regarding the [name_u]Kerry[/name_u] dilemma, one of my favorite ways to incorporate an honor name, especially if I dislike the name itself, is to look up what the name means and find other names with the same meaning. [name_u]Kerry[/name_u] means “dusky, black, dark-haired,” so here are some names with the same meaning:

• [name_u]Blake[/name_u], [name_u]Blakely[/name_u] - “black”
  • [name_m]Ciar[/name_m], Ciardha, [name_m]Ciaran[/name_m] - “black;” the Irish name of which [name_u]Kerry[/name_u] is an Anglicized diminutive
  • Dubhán - “dark, black;” Anglicized [name_u]Davin[/name_u] or [name_u]Devin[/name_u]
  • [name_m]Ferrer[/name_m] - “blacksmith”
  • [name_u]Krishna[/name_u] - “black, dark;” a prominent Hindu god believed to be an incarnation of [name_m]Vishnu[/name_m]
  • Lonán - “little blackbird”
  • [name_u]Merle[/name_u], [name_u]Merrill[/name_u] - “blackbird”
  • [name_m]Nigel[/name_m] - “black;” a Latin variant of [name_u]Neil[/name_u]
  • [name_f]Sable[/name_f] - “black”
  • [name_m]Smith[/name_m] - meaning both “blacksmith, metalworker” and “to smite”
  • [name_u]Colby[/name_u] - “coal dark town”
  • [name_m]Dougal[/name_m] - “dark stranger”
  • [name_u]Douglas[/name_u] - “dark river”
  • [name_u]Duff[/name_u] - “dark”
  • [name_m]Dunstan[/name_m] - “dark stone;” name of a saint
  • [name_m]Gethin[/name_m] - “dark-skinned, swarthy”
  • Maurus - “dark-skinned, Moorish;” name of a saint
  • Moreno - “dark-skinned”
  • [name_f]Rajani[/name_f] - “the dark one;” another name for the Hindu god Durga
  • [name_u]Sam[/name_u] - a Persian name meaning “dark;” also spelled Saam, and pronounced like “sahm”
  • [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] - Anglicized version of the Irish surname Súileabhán which means “little dark eye”

I’m also going to suggest Rook for you as a potential first name option. It’s a word/nature/animal name like [name_u]Fox[/name_u], and since rooks are in the blackbird family, it would also be honoring [name_u]Kerry[/name_u]. You could then use [name_m]Eli[/name_m] and another name of your choosing for the middle.

I hope this was helpful feedback. Good luck on your naming journey! :heart: