Naming boys is hard....

I have tried to come up with an uncommon boys name that my new son won’t hate when he gets older. The problem is that everyone in my family hates the names I come up with and says my friends are just being polite when they say they like my names. The middle name was already picked by daddy after his deceased brother… please help. Here are some I’ve come up with… but I’m open to suggestions. Please be honest.

Ayson [name]Ezequiel[/name]
[name]Slater[/name] [name]Ezequiel[/name]
[name]Paxton[/name] [name]Ezequiel[/name]
[name]London[/name] [name]Ezequiel[/name]
[name]Fabian[/name] [name]Ezequiel[/name]

I really like [name]Paxton[/name] and [name]London[/name]. They very much fit within today’s trends, and I love the nn [name]Pax[/name] (meaning “peace”) for [name]Paxton[/name]. [name]London[/name] seems to be used quite a lot on girls lately, but I think it’s refreshing on boys, and with its similarity to [name]Landon[/name], I don’t think it’s too hard for a boy to pull off. :slight_smile: The other three aren’t really my style–I want to like [name]Slater[/name], but there’s just something about it that bothers me. I’m not sure what. I think [name]Paxton[/name] [name]Ezequiel[/name] or [name]London[/name] [name]Ezequiel[/name] would be lovely, though.

Have you considered [name]Eamon[/name] (AY-muhn) instead of Ayson? Or [name]Grayson[/name]? I think [name]Grayson[/name] [name]Ezequiel[/name] or [name]Eamon[/name] [name]Ezequiel[/name] would be lovely, as well!

Good luck!

[name]Hi[/name]! Hmm, let’s see. First off let me say I love [name]Ezequiel[/name], it’s very handsome, has family meaning and it’s Biblical history grounds some of the more modern names you’re considering. That looks like a Spanish spelling, is it? Would you and husband consider it in front? [name]Ezekiel[/name] is coming back “in” and [name]Zeke[/name] is really cool. Second let me say if you [name]LOVE[/name] a name enough, you probably shouldn’t let the reactions sway you. People will adapt when they meet the baby. While most of these aren’t my style, I don’t think they’d cause a boy major difficulty (with the possible exception of [name]London[/name] - see below).

Ayson [name]Ezequiel[/name] - I think you’re getting negative reaction because it looks/sounds incomplete, and looks/sounds like so many other names out there (which your friends probably like) - it’s like the “uncanny valley”. Change the s to d, and you’ve got [name]Aiden[/name] by sound. [name]Add[/name] a J, Gr, or M, and you’ve got [name]Jason[/name], [name]Grayson[/name], or [name]Mason[/name]. Also the spelling looks invented. Aeson is a historical Greek name. I don’t like this name, but I do think the nickname [name]Ace[/name] will be cool and I think he will “fit in”. My suggestions are: [name]Aidan[/name], Aeson, and [name]Grayson[/name]. [name]Aidan[/name] because it’s the historical spelling of [name]Aiden[/name] (BUT it’s like the #1 name practically, and people will probably guess it’s spelled [name]Aiden[/name] - keep those things in mind. [name]Aidan[/name] could have the nn [name]Dan[/name]), Aeson because it’s a spelling with history, and [name]Grayson[/name] because it’s in and familiar right now, kind of trendy, but not super popular and the nn [name]Gray[/name] is great. [name]Jason[/name] and [name]Mason[/name] are OK but [name]Jason[/name] is dated and [name]Mason[/name] is over-the-top trendy to my ear. If this is a family name, stand your ground, and never mind : D. That goes for all of these.

[name]Slater[/name] [name]Ezequiel[/name] - this is OK. It sounds very aggressive to me and I wonder if that’s why your friends don’t care for it. There was a lesbian punk-rock band in the 1990s, Sleater-[name]Kenney[/name] (I may be spelling that wrong but it’s pronounced like [name]Slater[/name]) and that’s not the best association for a little boy, although it’s also not that widely known. I don’t care for it, but I like it more than Ayson. It doesn’t offer tons of nicknames. [name]Slate[/name] - like the rock. It’s OK. Your friends might prefer: [name]Sawyer[/name], [name]Carter[/name], [name]Hunter[/name], [name]Connor[/name], [name]Gunnar[/name].

[name]Paxton[/name] [name]Ezequiel[/name] - this is OK, I think it may be the most wearable of the bunch. I’m a little surprised your friends don’t like it. [name]Pax[/name] as a nn is pretty cool, if a little Brangelina. It might be getting a negative reaction because it’s close to [name]Peyton[/name] (et al, many spellings), which while getting plenty of boy use (because of Mr. [name]Manning[/name]) is also bounding up the charts for girls. Some names your friends might like more (and keep in mind I could be wrong on all of these!): [name]Ashton[/name], [name]Dexter[/name].

[name]London[/name] [name]Ezequiel[/name] - OK, you can double check the stats for me, but I think [name]London[/name] right now is getting TONS of use for girls and much less use for boys. I would advise against this one for that reason, and that almost definitely explains your friend’s negative reactions right there. I think these names are similar and much easier on a boy (though some are getting some uni use): [name]Lennox[/name], [name]Landon[/name], [name]Linden[/name], [name]Lennon[/name], [name]Lachlan[/name], [name]Logan[/name], [name]Duncan[/name], [name]Donovan[/name].

[name]Fabian[/name] [name]Ezequiel[/name] - I think this is really handsome! HOWEVER, NB taste and real-world taste often differ : D. My first thought is that people are reminded of [name]Fabio[/name]. That might be too much for some. My second thought is that although this is a traditionally masculine name, it never took off in the Anglosphere, and that -ian ending rings feminine to some people because of [name]Vivian[/name] and [name]Jillian[/name] and [name]Lillian[/name], even though there are also lots of boys names that end in -ian. Maybe since this one starts with “[name]Faye[/name]” (the sounds of it), that reinforces the feminine feel. Some names with a similar feel that might get a better reaction: [name]Finnian[/name], [name]Finnegan[/name], [name]Christian[/name], [name]Felix[/name], [name]Philip[/name], [name]Julian[/name]. I think [name]Dorian[/name] and [name]Florian[/name] have a similar feel too, but I think they’d get more similar reactions to [name]Fabian[/name].

I really hope this helps! Good luck as you decide among your initial picks (my vote goes to [name]Paxton[/name] first and [name]Slater[/name] second), or consider some of the many alternates.

First off, I like your middle name choice, though I think that the [name]Ezekiel[/name] spelling is nicer and more clear when it comes to pronunciation, though if you’re honouring a loved one, I understand keeping the spelling you have. As for your first names, [name]Fabian[/name] is my favourite by far. The others seem a little trendy/made-up. [name]Slater[/name] is alright too - I like that it’s a lesser-used occupational name.

[name]Fabian[/name] [name]Ezequiel[/name] is a great name. Great flow, lots of history and substance, handsome and unique without being unheard of.

Here are a few other names you might like:
[name]Gray[/name] or [name]Grayson[/name]
[name]Cooper[/name]
[name]Carter[/name]
[name]Sawyer[/name]
[name]Fletcher[/name]
[name]Archer[/name]
[name]Maverick[/name]
[name]Wyatt[/name]
[name]Linden[/name]
[name]Dorian[/name]
[name]Kai[/name]
[name]Sebastian[/name]
[name]Connor[/name]
[name]Felix[/name]
[name]Tobias[/name] nn [name]Toby[/name]
[name]Baxter[/name]
[name]Forest[/name]
[name]Desmond[/name]

[name]Just[/name] thought of this–you also might consider [name]Asa[/name] [name]Ezequiel[/name] as an alternative to Ayson/Aeson. I think that’d be a great choice, personally!

I vote for [name]Fabian[/name] because in my eyes its the only real name

I like the suggestions of:
[name]Sebastian[/name]
[name]Eamon[/name]
[name]Grayson[/name]

I would add:
[name]Quentin[/name]
[name]Zane[/name]
[name]Angus[/name]
[name]Drake[/name]
[name]Rafael[/name]
[name]Weston[/name]
[name]Griffin[/name]

I think [name]Slater[/name], [name]Paxton[/name], and [name]Fabian[/name] are your best options!

You might also like:
[name]Carson[/name]
[name]Gable[/name]
[name]Shale[/name]
[name]Weston[/name]

Can you picture those first names on an adult, average [name]Joe[/name], dad type, business man? NO When the cute little fella grows up and is in the real world and realizes he’s not a movie star/celebrity football player but has the name of one of those guys, he is going to feel silly!

I would find this comment extremely offensive if I were the original poster. While not my style, all the names are legitimate names. [name]Fabian[/name] is very widely used in the Hispanic community, I’ve met 2 or 3 kids of each gender named [name]London[/name] and [name]Paxton[/name]. [name]Ezekiel[/name] is a Biblical name with a lot of use in history. She came here for advice and suggestions, not to be ridiculed.

I misread Ayson as [name]Alyson[/name] twice, so that’s out for me.

[name]Slater[/name] reminds me a lot of AC [name]Slater[/name] from Saved By the [name]Bell[/name] but I know that won’t be an issue for his generation. It would bug me tho. Otherwise, I like the name and it’s one of my faves from your bunch.

[name]Paxton[/name] is ok and I think maybe the most usable so it gets my vote.

[name]London[/name] is all girl to me.

I used to tutor a [name]Fabian[/name] but it was pronounced Fah-bee-ahn so that throws me off a little.

My suggestions would be:

[name]Dorian[/name]
[name]Quinlan[/name]
[name]Alban[/name] / [name]Albin[/name]
[name]Crispin[/name]
[name]Corbin[/name]

This isn’t ridicule, this is my opinion and my advice would be to pick a more distinguished name. And she isn’t using Ezekial, she is wanting to use [name]Ezequiel[/name], which isn’t the same thing. I am trying to have her look at the name from the perspective of her future adult son, who may be “offended” that his parents chose a fluffy name for him… just my opinion but people come here for opinions. Poor babe isn’t here to speak up for himself!

[name]London[/name] - has most definitely gone to the girls and is never coming back. It just entered the top 100.
[name]Fabian[/name] - only makes me think of the singer.
[name]Slater[/name] - I can not hear this and not think of “Saved by the [name]Bell[/name]”
[name]Paxton[/name] - Strikes me as extremely trendy. #273
Ayson - Looks dangerously close to [name]Alyson[/name].

I loved a previous poster’s suggestion of [name]Dorian[/name]. Ditto for [name]Asa[/name]. [name]Both[/name] are popular enough to be known, and both spelled and pronounced correctly (except for the occasional issue with [name]Asa[/name]) They’re also similar to your aesthetic, and strongly masculine. Good luck!

[name]Ezequiel[/name] is a Spanish variation of [name]Ezekiel[/name], so it is a legitimate name. I’m sure her son will like the fact that she used a name with cultural significance. I don’t find any of the names “fluffy,” they’re just a tad trendy but the baby is not going to have a bad childhood or something due to a trendy name, when more than likely there would be another [name]Paxton[/name] or [name]London[/name] in his class. That’s like saying giving a child the name [name]Jason[/name] in the 80’s would “ruin his life” when we all know by now that is not the case. There’s just a million guys in their late 20’s named [name]Jason[/name], no biggie.

I like [name]Paxton[/name] best from your choices. The only one that’s hard for me to like for a boy is [name]London[/name]…only because I know two little girls with this name. Also, I love your mn choice!

I think both [name]Paxton[/name] and [name]Fabian[/name] are handsome names, and love the significance of the MN. I do agree with the other PP’s that [name]London[/name] is getting a lot of use for girls, which would be a problem for me. BUT, as [name]Ash[/name] pointed out, it is very similar to [name]Landon[/name], which might save it. I still think it’s out for boys though, sorry.

First of all, I don’t really care for the [name]Ezequiel[/name] spelling. I think [name]Ezekiel[/name] is great, though. I also don’t find any of your names particularly nice sounding. [name]How[/name] about [name]Asa[/name] or [name]Dexter[/name]?