Naming bump to baby or waiting until the baby arrives

We won’t be finding out the sex of this baby so we won’t be naming our bump, though we have names picked out. When I can start feeling baby move around and kick, I’ll talk to them by calling them a nick name or just refer to them as bubba/bubs.
People are all different, some want to keep everything a surprise, others want to know sex and share it as it helps them to bond. No way is right.

1 Like

We picked out names while pregnant both times that we were pretty much one hundred percent settled on, and changed our minds both times while in the hospital after meeting them. Or we would have had a [name_m]Simon[/name_m] [name_m]Maxfield[/name_m] and a [name_m]Rafferty[/name_m] [name_m]Oisin[/name_m] :slight_smile:

2 Likes

For me, it depends on the gender. [name_f]My[/name_f] husband and I are very in sync when it comes to boy names so even though our boys list is short, it hardly changes. Thus, with our son, we settled on his name very early on in the pregnancy and told people we were 99% sure that’s what it was going to be (because I like to leave a little wiggle room just in case I change my mind at the last minute).
With girl names though, my husband and I have different tastes and I tend to change my mind every few weeks. So with our first daughter, we went to the hospital with a top three and made the decision after she was born. I’m currently pregnant with daughter #2 and we’ll probably be doing the same with this one. I just find it so hard to settle on a girl name so I need the entire nine months to decide. :yum:

2 Likes

I wish me and the husband were in sync lol! We disagree on every name!
I absolutely love [name_u]Gabriel[/name_u] or [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] but he said no to [name_u]Gabriel[/name_u] and said ok for [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] as a middle.
Our other sons names have contemporary biblical I would say. [name_m]Don[/name_m]’t know why either,as none of us are particularly religious, just happen to love the biblical names. So I want the third to have a similar name and not anything very different and he doesn’t get that lol. In the end we are toying around with these names.
[name_u]Noah[/name_u] [name_m]Findlay[/name_m] or [name_u]Noah[/name_u] [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u].
[name_m]Findlay[/name_m] to honour partners Scottish roots and [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] us a family name on my dad’s side
For a girl she is likely to be
[name_f]Tabitha[/name_f] [name_f]May[/name_f] or [name_f]Tabitha[/name_f] [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] but also like the middle names [name_f]Eve[/name_f] and [name_f]Iris[/name_f]. [name_f]May[/name_f] would be to honour the baby’s god mother, my partner and mother in law. Who are all born in [name_f]May[/name_f].
Husband really wanted [name_f]Felicity[/name_f] and my dad absolutely loves the name [name_f]Felicity[/name_f] as wanted to call me it! He actually offered my partner 2 grand to name our child [name_f]Felicity[/name_f]. Nuts I know! Anyway she isn’t being called [name_f]Felicity[/name_f] lol.

2 Likes

Our families are superstitious about naming a baby before they’re born. [name_f]My[/name_f] mother and his grandmother in particular would strongly oppose to us using a specific name for the baby bump, as they would say it attracts bad luck for the pregnancy. They don’t even like it that we share our baby names so openly!

I would say that we aren’t superstitious and this issue of bad luck isn’t a problem for us, but we stick by the cultural rules we’ve inherited, so we just refer to the child as the baby until they’re born. Plus, our children have all been delivery surprises (save for one who was screaming “I’m a boy” on the ultrasounds) so we cannot know which of the names we’ve picked is “the one”.

We chose our daughter’s name before she was born, but we only told a few close family/friends, so mostly we just referred to her as [name_u]Baby[/name_u] Girl. Thankfully, we’ve never felt her name didn’t fit her. It’s just always worked. For our next one, I imagine we’ll likely do the same. I’m too much of a planner to go Team [name_u]Green[/name_u] and just go into the birth with two names chosen, although there’s part of me that likes the idea. haha

1 Like

My baby is currently referred to as [name_u]Baby[/name_u] H. I know I’m having a girl, however that isn’t known by any of my friends or family yet, not sure when I’ll tell them.
I have a few names that I am considering, I would like to choose her name before I go into labor however I won’t be sharing her name until she is born.

2 Likes

Before we knew the gender, we just called my bump [name_u]Baby[/name_u] LastName. Hubby liked to tell people the baby’s name would be Spegg (Sperm + Egg).

Once we had the 20wk ultrasound and found out she’s a girl, we got down to the business of picking a real name! I think it took us about 3 weeks to choose. Now we call her by her name and share it with anyone who asks.

Initially, we were going to keep her name between us, but I wanted to tell my grandma since she is so ecstatic for her first great-grandbay and her health is not the greatest. She is bad at keeping secrets so we told everyone else shortly after.

3 Likes

My partner insists on waiting to see what the baby looks like, but honestly I don’t think that actually works for us. Our daughter came out looking like a cute little baby with a cute little baby face, she didn’t come out looking like any kind of name at all. So we just tossed around our 3 names we’d gone in with for days on end and then just picked one cause we had too. I’m worried the same will happen with our boy. We’re down to two names at least, but I know he’s just going to look like a baby. [name_f]May[/name_f] as well flip a coin?!

3 Likes

I actually find it hard to bond with my baby when they don’t have a name. Pregnancy just doesn’t feel real to me until I can call my baby by their name.

However I’m not dead set upon it. We’ve settled on a name for this baby, but we’re still open to our Other choices if, when this little girl comes out, our chosen name just doesn’t fit her.

So we name the bump, but don’t finalize anything until baby is here

1 Like