naming from different origins

Would you give a baby a name from a distinct heritage that they don’t have? For example, I love [name]Nala[/name] for a girl but it’s really African which she wouldn’t be. Same for a boy, I love the name [name]Ivan[/name] but he wouldn’t be Russian whatsoever.

I think it depends on the name. If it screams a certain culture than I likely wouldn’t use it. For example, [name]Pierre[/name] on an American boy or [name]Aurora[/name] on an American girl might be too weird. I think the name [name]Ivan[/name] works for any boy. It’s similar to [name]Evan[/name]. [name]Ivan[/name] doesn’t scream Russian to me. [name]Nala[/name] for me I have trouble picturing on a human. Sorry but I think of the lion cub from [name]Lion[/name] [name]King[/name] when I think of that name.

For me as long as using the name wasn’t going to be offensive to people in that culture I would if I liked the name enough. And by offensive I really just mean if it is considered a sacred or a culturally significant name. I know there’s a handful of those but I don’t think they are extremely common. I love a lot of French names and I don’t have a drop of French blood in me, I will most likely still use these names when I have kids one day! I would just make sure that I had the pronunciation right and that it sounded alright with my last name if my last name had a very obvious heritage!

I don’t think of the origin when I hear either of those names! I think they’re perfect for a child of any ethnicity!

Alright thank you! Maybe the [name]Lion[/name] [name]King[/name] thing is part of the [name]Nala[/name] problem as well but I just absolutely love the name (pronounced Nal like the bal in ballence NAL-a)

I don’t see a problem with it, my daughter has an anglicised Greek name and a Finnish name. I am looking at names from lots of different countries for another child. The world is a much smaller place now, we should embrace it.

My son has a Spanish name, and he’s American ([name]German[/name]/English/Scottish/Swedish origins). If I stick with the name I like for my next baby, and it’s a girl, she will have a Hungarian middle name.

So yeah, I don’t see a problem with it. :slight_smile:

I don’t see a problem with it either. My name is very, very Greek, but my family is Portugese and French. No one has asked or assumed I’m Greek just by my name. I don’t think [name]Ivan[/name] is extremely Russian. I may think of [name]Ivan[/name] the Terrible but that’s because I"m a history nut, as well as a name-berry. [name]Nala[/name] makes me think of the [name]Lion[/name] [name]King[/name], but that’s no big deal.

• [name]Athena[/name]

I don’t see a problem with it. If I love a name and it’s remotely useable in English, whether I have direct ties to the origin is one of the last things I think about. (Although digging into my ancestry is always fun too)
[name]Ivan[/name] is a more (mainstream?) Russian name like [name]Tatiana[/name] and [name]Anastasia[/name] that is embraced by various cultures.
I agree with pp- to just do your research & be careful not to use names that are offensive to another culture.

thank you! so from everyone’s input…[name]Ivan[/name] is good. [name]Nala[/name] is just the [name]Lion[/name] [name]King[/name] problem?