Naming help

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] I recently came across the name [name_u]Kai[/name_u] and fell in love with the short and sweet sound of it, in addition to the multiple meanings of the name. When I approached my other half with the name idea he responded with he liked it but his mothers best friends, grandson is named [name_u]Kai[/name_u]. On one hand they are nothing to do with myself and my husband, on the other hand my mother in law would have to constantly talk to her best friend and her grandson with the same name as hers. Am I thinking about it too much? Or is it too close to home and we need to pick another name?

1 Like

I think that if you truly love it, you should use it! I don’t see it causing any major issues.

1 Like

If it’s your favorite name, I think you should go for it, since it sounds like you have no direct relationship with this other family (unless I’m misreading the situation, of course!). If you don’t like the idea of the overlap–or if it bothers your mother-in-law enough to bother you by extension–what about:

[name_u]Ash[/name_u]
[name_u]Jude[/name_u]
[name_u]Nico[/name_u]
[name_m]Milo[/name_m]
[name_u]Miles[/name_u]
[name_m]Silas[/name_m]
[name_u]Kyler[/name_u] (nn [name_m]Ky[/name_m])
[name_u]Reid[/name_u]/[name_u]Reed[/name_u]
[name_u]Finn[/name_u]
[name_m]Leo[/name_m]
[name_u]Arlo[/name_u]
[name_m]Levi[/name_m]
[name_u]Tyler[/name_u] (nn [name_m]Ty[/name_m])
[name_u]Hayes[/name_u]
[name_u]Flynn[/name_u]
[name_m]Jack[/name_m]
[name_u]Rhys[/name_u]

Ultimately, though, if [name_u]Kai[/name_u] is the name that makes your heart sing–I see no major issue with using it!

1 Like

[name_f]Welcome[/name_f] to Nameberry, @SavannahTaylor1993! :wave:

I really don’t think this is an issue at all. You said yourself that

You can’t rule out every name of every person that has a connection to someone you know. Generally speaking, I would only rule out the names of immediate family members and very close friends, on the grounds that it could get confusing or cause ill will among people close to you.

I’d also like to throw out [name_m]Koa[/name_m], though, just in case you really want to keep looking. It’s much more unusual than [name_u]Kai[/name_u] but equally cool and simple, and has a lovely nature connection. You can read more about it here.

Good luck!

2 Likes

It doesn’t seem like it’s an issue. I think you can just use [name_u]Kai[/name_u]!

2 Likes

I don’t think it a problem at all. If you love that name, please use it! You’re not close friends with the other family and probably the boys will not see each other often.

I agree with everything @katinka said. [name_m]Don[/name_m]'t give up on the name you love!

1 Like

Wow, you guys are so thoughtful and sensitive about your MIL!

It’s the name you love, and you have nothing to actually do with them. It’s likely that his mom will actually think its fun to chat with her friend about Big [name_u]Kai[/name_u] and [name_m]Little[/name_m] [name_u]Kai[/name_u].

If you love it, go for it.

1 Like

I think it’s fine to use. We all know multiple people with the same name and, youre not close with thr other [name_u]Kai[/name_u] so i don’t think it’s too much of a problem

1 Like