Naming my girls for my grandmothers?

I was named for my mother’s father’s mother, [name]Marguerite[/name] [name]Faith[/name], who passed a few months before I was born. I am/was very close with both of my grandmothers and one of my great-grandmothers (who passed about 8 years ago), and would love to use my grandmother’s names or middle names as my daughters’ middle names, if/when I have any; however, I’m having difficulty choosing names/sounds/syllables that actually sound right with the names. Here’s what I’m working with:

[name]Olive[/name] Averial (pat. g-ma)
[name]Patricia[/name] [name]Ann[/name] (mat. g-ma)
[name]Blanche[/name] [name]Arlene[/name] (mat. gg-ma)

[name]Olive[/name]: Adorable and I have always loved it, but the last few years its grown rapidly in popularity, and I can’t see it working very well as a middle name.

Averial: [name]Just[/name] a doozy. She pronounces it AY-vree-all, like [name]Avery[/name]. I think it’s beautiful but a difficult pairing.

[name]Patricia[/name]: It’s not my cup of tea, and I’m not fond of the nicknames [name]Pat[/name] or [name]Patty[/name].

[name]Ann[/name]: I love [name]Ann[/name] as a middle name to ground more ‘out-there’ first names.

[name]Blanche[/name]: just lost.

[name]Arlene[/name]: see [name]Blanche[/name].

I like the names [name]Beatrix[/name], [name]Louisa[/name], [name]Winter[/name], [name]Clementine[/name], [name]Mathilda[/name], [name]Lyra[/name], [name]Imogen[/name], [name]Iris[/name], [name]Georgianna[/name], [name]Freya[/name], [name]Laurel[/name], [name]Greta[/name], and [name]Meena[/name], just to pick a few. My last name has two syllables. Any ideas???

[name]Olive[/name] Averial all the way! [name]Love[/name] it :slight_smile:

[name]Olive[/name] is a strong style statement, and I personally don’t care for its aesthetics, but you are right that it is gaining more and more acceptance. I do not think, outside certain urban havens, it will ever be widespread or popular. The current trend for girls’ names are much more flowery, ornate, lighter names (i.e. [name]Isabella[/name], [name]Olivia[/name], [name]Liliana[/name]), so [name]Olive[/name] is a little out of step.

Averial should revert back to its lovely original, [name]Averill[/name]. [name]Averill[/name] is an old saints name from northern [name]England[/name] (originally Everild), and has been given since the 6th c. It’ pronounced in two syllables or three ([name]AVE[/name]-rill, or AV-er-ill) and it’s very nice.

[name]Patricia[/name] can become the much more elegant and light [name]Patrice[/name].

[name]Ann[/name], or [name]Anne[/name], or [name]Anna[/name], or any of its myriad forms, is excellent as-is.

[name]Blanche[/name] can become [name]Bianca[/name], or [name]Alba[/name], or even [name]Gwen[/name]. All mean ‘white, fair.’

[name]Arlene[/name] is an invented name from last century, so no roots or variants, unfortunately. Why not borrow the sounds, and do [name]Arden[/name] (as in the Shakesperean forest), [name]Ariana[/name], [name]Araminta[/name], Arienne, [name]Arwen[/name], [name]Arielle[/name], or [name]Arabel[/name].

• something like [name]Arianwen[/name] (a Welsh name meaning, roughly, ‘holy silver’) would honor [name]Blanche[/name] (via [name]Gwen[/name]) and [name]Arlene[/name].

[name]Bianca[/name] [name]Patrice[/name]
[name]Olive[/name] [name]Arielle[/name]
[name]Averill[/name] [name]Anne[/name]
[name]Averill[/name] [name]Patrice[/name]
[name]Arden[/name] [name]Olivia[/name]

[name]How[/name] about pairing a first name you love with one of the Grandmother’s names for a middle name. For example, you like the name [name]Mathilda[/name] so how about [name]Mathilda[/name] Averial. Or since you like [name]Louisa[/name], you could use [name]Louisa[/name] [name]Ann[/name].

So you want to use the grandmothers names in the middle section then?

I could see

[name]Clementine[/name] [name]Patricia[/name]
[name]Louisa[/name] [name]Blanche[/name]
[name]Clementine[/name] [name]Olive[/name] (although then you have 2 food names…but they do sound nice together)
[name]Greta[/name] [name]Ann[/name]
[name]Iris[/name] [name]Arlene[/name]