Naming our girl Lyra, could she be teased?

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] there everyone, hoping to get some opinions and advice!!
My husband and I love the name [name_f]Lyra[/name_f] (lie-ra) and we want to use it for our baby girl! We had been trying for 4years and we have always loved the name! Family and friends have said she will be teased and called liar and bullied… I don’t think it’s an issue but hubby is now doubting our choice! What do you guys think?
Her name will be [name_f]Lyra[/name_f] [name_f]Noelle[/name_f] [name_m]Smith[/name_m]
Thank you in advance

I love [name_f]Lyra[/name_f] and I love her name. Honestly, I think 1)adults fixate on the fear of getting teased. It might not happen. 2) Kids can find a way to tease about any name…even something plain like [name_f]Jane[/name_f]. Because of those two things, I don’t think you should let what might happen stop you from using a name you both love.

It’s a lovely name and I don’t see any higher potential of teasing than most other names. I think you should use it.

I don’t think it will lead to teasing. Your family is overreacting. It’s a great name - go with it!

[name_f]Lyra[/name_f] is a great name, and [name_f]Lyra[/name_f] [name_f]Noelle[/name_f] [name_m]Smith[/name_m] sounds lovely together, though a bit heavy on the Ls. (Not a problem really; her full name won’t be used that often.) I didn’t even see the similarity to “liar” until you pointed it out. So many common names are close to words that don’t have the greatest meanings. [name_f]Lyra[/name_f] is no more tease-worthy than any other name!

Name teasing isn’t really a thing. It’s something adults think about, but in my experience kids don’t really care what each other’s names are. [name_f]Lyra[/name_f] [name_f]Noelle[/name_f] is a beautiful name.

Please use it. It’s a beautiful name and you obviously love it and your combo is very lovely. I personally love [name_f]Lyra[/name_f]. I love the musical and astronomical connection. And for me, next to the stellar association, the teasing potential seems rather insignificance. People can always find a way to tease anyway, so no name is 100% safe from teasing.

I think the fixation on teasing is bizarre. Kids get teased for all kinds of reasons which usually don’t have to do with their name. The name would have to be pretty egregious, I think, to be focused on by kids. [name_f]Lyra[/name_f] is a great name and [name_f]Lyra[/name_f] [name_f]Noelle[/name_f] is very beautiful. I know a little [name_f]Lyra[/name_f] and it’s adorable. [name_m]Don[/name_m]'t listen to the haters!

[name_f]Lyra[/name_f] is beautiful and I agree with everyone else about teasing potential being everywhere. You and your DH found a name you both love and I really don’t think it’s a name that invites teasing. If you want to be sure, ask some kids what they think of it, but I think you should just use it.

They’re overreacting, there is no teasing potential in the name [name_f]Lyra[/name_f].

I’ve always thought it’s a beautiful name and I think you should use it. But I think you’re right to at least consider the teasing potential, and everyone here who says otherwise must not remember what it’s like being an adolescent. Name-teasing often isn’t even malicious, but it can still be traumatic when you’re a kid. But, hey, if it makes your daughter feel more pressure to not be associated with lying, that’s probably a benefit.

[name_f]Lyra[/name_f] [name_f]Noelle[/name_f] is a beautiful name! Kids can always find a way to tease someone for something. I wouldn’t assume that this name would provoke teasing any more than many other names. No name is 100% tease proof. I think your relatives are over-reacting. [name_m]Don[/name_m]'t listen to them! Use this lovely name for your daughter!

You know, I’ve always pronounced [name_f]Lyra[/name_f] like “leer-ah.” Am I wrong or are there just multiple ways to pronounce…?
Anyhow, I think parents focus too much on the whole teasing thing. I’ve never seen a kid get teased for their name, and trust me, I’ve known many people who’ve had names perfect for teasing. I absolutely love the name [name_f]Lyra[/name_f] (I think it’s even in my sig?), you should totally go with it!

I love [name_f]Lyra[/name_f], and I’d pronounce it the way you are. What would kids even tease [name_f]Lyra[/name_f] about? You tell a kid another kid’s name and they just think, “we’re friends now, let’s go play”
Good luck!

Kids will find anyway to tease.
If they want to tease, it will happen by any means.

If you love [name_f]Lyra[/name_f], which it seems you do, I say go for it!