Naming our son and a funny 80's reference

We like the name [name]Theo[/name], but my husband’s name is [name]Clifton[/name] and he generally goes by [name]Cliff[/name]. Which means that we’ll have a big Cosby show reference with [name]Cliff[/name] and [name]Theo[/name]. Can we do that or will we never live it down? We would likely go with [name]Theodore[/name] for a full first name and call him [name]Theo[/name].

I think it’s great - makes me love the name even more! (who doesn’t love the Cosby Show?!?!)
For those of us in the “parent” generation, it will make us smile, and for those in your son’s generation, they will never have even heard of the show . . . and besides, [name]Theo[/name] was a well-loved character so there’s not much teasing potential anyway.
(Of course, I would shy away from naming a daughter [name]Vanessa[/name] or [name]Rudy[/name] if you want people to think you have even an ounce of originality :)).

I don’t think it’s such a big deal, I mean, it’s not like anyone of them was psycho or something…
I personally love [name]Theo[/name]!

I would go for it. [name]Love[/name] [name]Theodore[/name] nn [name]Theo[/name]!

Agree. His generation won’t have a clue. It will also make good party conversation for you and your husband :slight_smile:

I’m an [name]Olivia[/name] who grew up in the eighties with a sister named [name]Vanessa[/name]! We thought it was cool that both of our names were on the Cosby show. Very few people even noticed, and that was during the CS heyday. I say go for it :slight_smile:

I love The Cosby Show! (Last night, I watched the one in which [name]Rudy[/name] has a sleepover and [name]Cliff[/name] entertains the kids.) :slight_smile: With such a wholesome association, I agree that [name]Cliff[/name] and [name]Theo[/name] isn’t a big deal, and I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Theodore[/name]!

Like JLM said, just don’t name future kids [name]Claire[/name], [name]Vanessa[/name], [name]Rudy[/name], [name]Sondra[/name], etc. :slight_smile:

Good luck! :slight_smile:

I think it’s okay, because the Cosby Show was a great show and a very positive association. If it had been a controversial show I’d advise against it, but in this case I don’t think it’s a problem at all.

I love it! [name]Theo[/name]'s a great name and agree that the Cosby Show is positive so it’s ok :slight_smile:
Also, I think for people who were arund for the Cosby show will appreciate it and smile. His generation may not even know what the Cosby Show is. I know this because I ran into some high school kids the other day who didn’t know what “Fresh [name]Prince[/name] of BelAir” was…I all of a sudden felt old haha

But back to the name…love [name]Theo[/name] and think the Cosby relation is cute!