Naming Patterns

Hi,

I have a question about naming patterns. I have three children and have a pattern to how we have named them. They all have three names, their first middle name is an honour name and begins with J and their second middle name is a guilty pleasure.

This was all fine and I spent the entire pregnancy each time agonising about the perfect name. Fast forward to today, I’m pregnant with number four. If it’s a boy we have no problem, we have found a name that fits the pattern we both like. If it’s a girl, it will be our third, there are no more J honour names for girls that both DH and I agree on (although there are two J names we both like). Also, I can’t help feeling that as it’s likely to be our last baby, I really want to use the name [name_f]Luna[/name_f] if it’s a girl. In terms of rhythm and flow it only really fits in that second spot in the combinations we have been looking at.

My question is, do you think that a child will feel left out if it is the only one in a sibset whose name does not fit the family pattern?

Thanks!

I would say go with the name you love! I really don’t think she would be left out.

I can’t speak to this personally, but I imagine if you put thought and love into the name, it would still feel significant to your daughter. Is there a possibility of putting an honor name in the second middle spot? That way they still have one honor name in the middle.

4 Likes

I agree with @ceryle Give this baby an honor first middle also, even tho it doesn’t start with a J.

Because you’re talking about middle names, I don’t think the breaking of the naming pattern would be noticable. It would be another ordeal if all your children’s first names started with J and then baby #4 didn’t. I think you should go with the names that you love and stop worrying about the pattern!

I think it’s very thoughtful of you to be thinking about the child’s feelings.

Since that’s what’s at play here, (and not just a concern about your own pattern style,) giving the new baby an honor name somewhere is important. That way, when they all learn about their namesakes one day, this kid will feel proud with the others.

Personally, I don’t think the pattern of how you do it matters much, and if there’s a name you love, throw it in there somewhere!