Naming son after Grandmother

[name_m]Hi[/name_m]. I am about to have my third child, and all of my children have middle names after someone in our family who has passed away. My eldest daughter has the middle name [name_f]Christina[/name_f], after one of my brother in laws, [name_m]Christopher[/name_m] and my youngest daughter’s middle name is [name_u]Ryan[/name_u] after my other brother in law, [name_u]Ryan[/name_u]. My next child is a boy and I wanted his middle name to be after my grandmother [name_f]Isabel[/name_f]. I am having trouble thinking of what to use…Can anyone help give me ideas about any masculine alternatives, shortened versions, nicknames etc that come from the name [name_f]Isabel[/name_f]? Thank you!

[name_m]How[/name_m] about:
[name_m]Abel[/name_m]
[name_m]Isaiah[/name_m]
[name_m]Ismael[/name_m]
[name_u]Bellamy[/name_u]

What a lovely tribute to your grandmother!

My first thought was to use [name_f]Isabeau[/name_f]. Now, here’s the explanation of why I think this is a good choice: Although this form of [name_f]Isabel[/name_f] is usually given to girls, it’s super rare—last year only 25 girls in the whole country were named [name_f]Isabeau[/name_f], whereas more than 23,000 received some variation of [name_f]Isabel[/name_f] or [name_f]Isabella[/name_f]. Also, in [name_m]French[/name_m], “bel” and “beau” are the feminine and masculine forms, respectively, of the word for “beautiful.” Thus, the word [name_f]Isabeau[/name_f] itself looks like it has a masculine ending to me.

With that said, I don’t think there is a direct masculine form of [name_f]Isabel[/name_f]. So that leaves you two paths: names that sound similar or names that have similar meanings (or both). For example, [name_m]Isaiah[/name_m] comes pretty close. [name_f]Isabel[/name_f] is related to the name [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], which itself is similar to names like [name_m]Elijah[/name_m], [name_u]Elias[/name_u], [name_m]Eli[/name_m], etc., though that is farther afield from [name_f]Isabel[/name_f].

[name_m]Ismael[/name_m] is a great idea. Sounds the most similar.

I also thought [name_m]Abel[/name_m], and [name_m]Isaac[/name_m] and [name_m]Isaiah[/name_m] which at least start with [name_u]Isa[/name_u]. [name_m]How[/name_m] about [name_m]Isidore[/name_m]?

I think [name_m]Abel[/name_m] or [name_m]Isaac[/name_m] are your best choices. You don’t want to stray too far from [name_f]Isabel[/name_f]. Can you use her middle name or maiden name instead?

Thanks for the ideas…I want to to be as close as possible. I do like the idea of beau …from isabeau.

She doesnt have a middle name :confused:

I saw some where that said use the same letters but scramble…i like baisel …i just want everyone to know his middle name is after her

This may be too much of a stretch…

I know girls named [name_f]Isabel[/name_f] who go by [name_u]Isa[/name_u] (EEsa). That sounds roughly like the name [name_m]Esau[/name_m] (as in [name_m]Jacob[/name_m] and [name_m]Esau[/name_m]).

Also, looking at your post above, you could spell [name_m]Basile[/name_m] which looks like a chic french name.

[name_m]Beau[/name_m] is the masculine version of [name_f]Belle[/name_f]…[name_m]Beauregard[/name_m], [name_m]Boaz[/name_m], [name_m]Bodhi[/name_m]?

What about [name_m]Abel[/name_m]? [name_f]Isabel[/name_f] includes the male name [name_m]Abel[/name_m]. Or [name_u]Sabel[/name_u] ([name_f]Sable[/name_f]?). There’s also Israfel which is an angel name.

My first thoughts were:
[name_m]Isaac[/name_m]
[name_m]Isaiah[/name_m]
[name_m]Israel[/name_m]
[name_m]Abel[/name_m]
[name_m]Beau[/name_m]
[name_u]Sabel[/name_u]
[name_u]Issy[/name_u] (I know two boys who go by this but it may be hard to pair with something)
[name_u]Bell[/name_u] (like the surname to make it not as feminine)

I’d do [name_m]Abel[/name_m] or [name_m]Isidore[/name_m].

Isley
[name_m]Issey[/name_m]
[name_m]Abel[/name_m]
[name_u]Bellamy[/name_u]
[name_m]Belden[/name_m]
[name_m]Belcher[/name_m]

I love the suggestion of [name_m]Isaac[/name_m].

[name_m]Isidore[/name_m] was my first instinct as well!

I would use her maiden name. Isbell is a surname that could also work. Although, since you used your brother-in-law’s name for your daughter, it seems natural to also use the name of a female relative for a boy. [name_f]Isabeau[/name_f] on a boy would also be interesting.