Naming twins

This might be a bit of a silly question, but it’s really bothering me.
I am expecting twin girls and we are getting close to picking out two names. What I’m worried about is, when they are born, will I know which baby to give each name to?
Is it something you just know? [name]Do[/name] I just randomly pick who gets which name? What if they both seem more suited to the same name?
Can anyone provide some insight?

I’m going to be having twin boys, and I’m just planning on naming the older one [name]Henry[/name] and the younger one [name]Theodore[/name] just because H comes before T alphabetically. I’m sure both boys will grow into their names. I think if you try to figure out which infant fits which name better, I really think you’ll just drive yourself crazy.

My best friend has twins. Once they picked out the names, they waited for both girls to be born, then looked to see which one looked more like [name]Claire[/name] and [name]Paige[/name].

[name]Hi[/name] abriella,

I’m expecting twin boys (who are most likely identical…) and I wonder about that all the time! Think will just name the first one out [name]William[/name] then the second will be [name]Oliver[/name]! [name]William[/name] and [name]Oliver[/name] is easier to say than [name]Oliver[/name] and [name]William[/name] to my ear possibly?! Also worry that won’t be able to tell them apart! I think we may resort to putting a splodge of marker on [name]Ollie[/name]'s foot!! We’ll see… What are your names? - one may sound like the older one possibly?

[name]Dahlia[/name]

I’m expecting twins as well.
Ours are b and ?, but most likely girl. If we turned out to have same sex twins, we would wait and see which name “fit”… I know that’s kind of silly, but I do think names can fit babies. I have two friends with twins. [name]Both[/name] named their babies based on birth order (as in, [name]Baby[/name] A was __ and B was __) I think either way you choose is fine!

We’re having twin girls and I have the same question. I like calling them their names while I am pregnant so I decided who would be who now. I used ABC order- A is [name]Eloise[/name] and B is [name]Fiona[/name]. (or first born if they somehow switch positions) Since I’ve had a few ultrasounds and have a general idea of where and how they are positioned, I can refer to them by name based on who I feel moving or kicking. I am sure they will “grow into” their names as well, but I guess if I had a crazy urge or huge feeling when they were born that their names don’t fit, I’m ok switching them.

triceratops- I missed your news that you are having two boys (I think or I don’t remember- lol!) congrats! love their names

Im not having twins bu incase i ever do this is what i want to do…

Ex.
Names: [name]Jasper[/name] and [name]Greyson[/name].
Whatever name you say first in the 2 names (such as [name]JASPER[/name] and [name]Greyson[/name])will be the eldest boy’s name and the second name (such as [name]Jasper[/name] and [name]GREYSON[/name]) will be the second boy’s name :D.
I hope this helps you!

GL!

• [name]Jenn[/name]

Take my input for what it’s worth (not much) as I’ve never had twins…but I would do alphabetical order with who came out first. Otherwise, I would second guess my decision on who looked like a certain name and I would drive myself crazy (probably for months as I can be a bit OCD :slight_smile:

I know twins named [name]Alexander[/name] and [name]Michael[/name]. [name]Michael[/name] is older, but his parents did it on purpose- they figured people would either line them up alphabetically or by age order, and this way they each got a turn being first.

Well, I am a twin, so I can tell you what my parents did! My mom had a favorite girl name picked out from the time they were expecting my older brother, so that naturally went to my sister - she was the firstborn twin. Then my name was just put together and, voila, we were named! But, I don’t think that’s really the situation for most people, and it sort of makes it sound like my name was a secondary thought to the favorite name, which went to my sister…

So, I think you either see if one name fits one baby more than another or you go with the alphabet, which is fool-proof. Either way, it’s more than likely that the child will become his or her name. So, if you love [name]Penelope[/name] and [name]Tallulah[/name] and your twin girls look basically the same, it might be best to call the firstborn [name]Penelope[/name] and the second-born [name]Tallulah[/name]!

Hello! I have twins boys, so here’s what I did - maybe it will help you out!

While I was expecting, my husband and I picked out our boys names: [name]Pax[/name] and [name]Milo[/name]. Like many of the previous posters have said, we were originally unsure of how we wanted to dish out the names. We feared that a name wouldn’t automatically fit with an infant (our boys are identical so that would have been really tough!), and so we just kind of put off deciding. Finally, a few days before they were born, we both realized that we had been saying [name]Pax[/name] and [name]Milo[/name], [name]Pax[/name] and [name]Milo[/name], but never really [name]Milo[/name] and [name]Pax[/name] when referring to the in utero boys. So, when they were born, we decided to give the first one the name [name]Pax[/name] and the second one the name [name]Milo[/name] just because that’s the order we tended to say them. I still say them that way (they are three and a half now!) and they have really grown into their names.

I honestly wouldn’t worry about it too much. You could try fitting a name to an infant to see which one just grabs which baby, but, it might be nice to have an order in mind (possibly correlating to their birth order) just in case that doesn’t happen.

[name]Hope[/name] this helps!

I don’t know how far along you are, but we named are twin boys in utero. They don’t really shift sides/positions, so [name]Baby[/name] A became [name]Jonathan[/name], and [name]Baby[/name] B became [name]Carlos[/name]. After four more months of feeling them move, knowing which one was more energetic, which got hiccups most often, I knew them and their personalities, and it went with their name. When delivery day came, I was waiting to see [name]Jonathan[/name] and [name]Carlos[/name], not baby strangers. For me, that was the beauty of knowing genders before delivery day.

Maybe it will help to pay attention to their movement patterns and what you can guess about their temperaments. It might help you decide which name fits.

My son just asked me what I was reading, and I said, “A mommy doesn’t know which twin to name which name.” He thought for a second and said, “Eenie meenie miney mo.” So, there’s that. Sorry, I’ve never been a mother of twins (even though I might because I have twin sisters, and both my parents are twins, so the whole multiple thing is in my blood or something.) so I don’t really know.

(sorry to butt in here!)
I’m a twin (two girls) and my parents only had my sister’s name, let’s call her H, picked out because they thought one was a boy. So my mom went under for the C section and all that, and was still kind if drowsy when my aunt handed her me and my sister. My aunt gave my mom me, and said, “This is H,” and then my sister, and said “and this is [name_u]Baby[/name_u] B.” My mom, still completely out of it, got angry with my aunt and kept arguing that no, THIS is H! So they just sort of went with it. Point being, I think you’ll know :slight_smile:
Sorry for being ramble-y and out of place… I’m very tired

I answered this question here: Nameberry - Welcome to the Nameberry Forums

<<We chose baby A (first born) and baby B (second’s) names before birth - we just assigned them like that. I actually did stress/worry about this both pregnancies because I wondered if we could possibly make a mistake and give the wrong name to the wrong girl! So we decided for simplicity, we would use the first name for the first born. I suppose if things felt VERY wrong after birth, we may have switched them, but I had no major feelings like that.

The first time, we had the names in abc order (Alice then Fiona), but our second set is actually out of alphabetical order (Lucille then Coraline) because that is how we chose the names and it seemed to work – flow-wise-- better for us that way as opposed to Coraline and Lucille. We also felt strongly that A was Lucille because it was a name we had chosen basically a year before they were conceived. Strangely, in the first case, Fiona was the name we settled on first and Alice’s name took soooo long to decide and wasn’t finalized until days before her arrival. So we have no real method to our decisions I guess

Sorry, that answer was probably not much help. >>

I’m so confused: you say in your post that you’ve never been a mother of twins, yet your signature says that you’re ‘proud to be the mother of blue-eyed twins, [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] [name_f]Joy[/name_f] and [name_f]Athena[/name_f] [name_f]Maya[/name_f], born Thursday, [name_u]August[/name_u] 4, 2011’?

Again I’m confused: you say in your post that you’re planning on naming your twin boys [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] and [name_m]Henry[/name_m], yet your signature says that you’re the ‘Mother of [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_m]Atlas[/name_m]’ ???

(Sorry to derail the thread. Back to the topic at hand).
I’m a twin (two girls) and the name story is slightly different: my parents both thought that they were having two boys (they wanted a surprise) so only picked out girls’ names about a week before we were born. Then my mum had to have an emergency c-section, so my dad got to see us while she was still out of it. He got to decide who was who: I apparently “looked” like a [name_f]Jemima[/name_f], and my sister just “looked” like a [name_f]Gretel[/name_f]. Apparently babies do “fit” names differently!