naming twins

My husband and i are pregnant with twin girls, they will join an older brother and an older sister.

We have a tough time choosing names because we are blending very different cultures that we both want to represent in our childrens names. I am Italian and Spanish and my husband is Turkish and [name_m]French[/name_m]. We are both very close with our families and value thier input and want to make everyone happy. (i know, easier said then done)

Our sons name is [name_m]Mateo[/name_m] Demir ([name_m]Mateo[/name_m] is my great grandfathers name, and Demir is my husbands name) i don’t think we will ever hear the end of it from his family for not giving our son a Turkish first name.

Our Daughter is [name_f]Eloisa[/name_f] [name_u]Peri[/name_u] ([name_f]Eloisa[/name_f] is used in Italian, Spanish and [name_m]French[/name_m], and [name_u]Peri[/name_u] is used in Turkish) We had a very easy time picking this name.

What both of us are wanting:

I am more drawn towards Italian/ Spanish names- along the lines of:
[name_f]Violetta[/name_f]
[name_f]Alessandra[/name_f]
[name_f]Francesca[/name_f]
[name_f]Giovanna[/name_f]
[name_f]Nicoletta[/name_f]

What he is more drawn to: He likes Turkish names mostly, but some [name_m]French[/name_m] names as well, i am not a big fan of the Turkish names, but like some [name_m]French[/name_m] names. His list so far -
Alara
Cemre
[name_m]Esra[/name_m]
[name_f]Amalie[/name_f]
[name_f]Colette[/name_f]
[name_f]Leona[/name_f]
Meliha

Anyone have any ideas for us?!

Congratulations on your Pregnancy! :slight_smile: I am sorry to hear that Naming is so challenging for you but, honestly, you have done BRILLIANTLY with your first two Children! [name_m]Mateo[/name_m] Demir and [name_f]Eloisa[/name_f] [name_u]Peri[/name_u] are both EXQUISITE and work PERFECTLY together! Looking at your Lists there is actually quite a lot to work with if you are both willing to compromise a little. Here are three different ideas which might help I hope! (Apologies in advance if I repeat anyone else’s suggestions as when I started writing this no one else had answered yet, and I won’t know what they’ve written until I post!)

IDEA 1:

[name_f]Nicoletta[/name_f] and [name_f]Colette[/name_f] are very similar so maybe you might consider using something pretty like [name_f]Coletta[/name_f] as a compromise for one of your Twins, or Naming her [name_f]Nicoletta[/name_f] but calling her [name_f]Colette[/name_f]? [name_f]Alessandra[/name_f] actually contains Alara (such a beautiful Name I haven’t seen before), so maybe you could Name the Second Twin [name_f]Alessandra[/name_f] but call her Alara, thus giving you:

[name_f]Nicoletta[/name_f] “[name_f]Colette[/name_f]” and [name_f]Alessandra[/name_f] “Alara”.

Middle Names could then be chosen from one List each.

IDEA 2:

I’m really not a fan of the approach some people take where each Parent Names one Twin as it is possible that each Parent will unconsciously favour the Twin with the Names they chose! However, what if you each choose a First Name from the OTHER PARENT’S List for one Twin and then your Favourite Name from your own List for the other Twin’s Middle Name! For example:

Twin A: [name_f]Violetta[/name_f] (Daddy’s Choice from Mummy’s List) [name_f]Francesca[/name_f] (Mummy’s Choice from her own List)

Twin B: [name_f]Amalie[/name_f] (Mummy’s Choice from Daddy’s List) [name_m]Esra[/name_m] (Daddy’s Choice from his own List)

[name_f]Violetta[/name_f] [name_f]Francesca[/name_f] and [name_f]Amalie[/name_f] [name_m]Esra[/name_m].

IDEA 3:

You each choose your two Favourite Names and then work out which Combinations sound the best!

Personally my Favourite Combinations to match [name_m]Mateo[/name_m] Demir and [name_f]Eloisa[/name_f] [name_u]Peri[/name_u] are:

Alara [name_f]Violetta[/name_f]
&
[name_f]Amalie[/name_f] [name_f]Francesca[/name_f]

Or

[name_f]Violetta[/name_f] Meliha
&
[name_f]Amalie[/name_f] [name_f]Giovanna[/name_f]

All the VERY BEST! :slight_smile:

Thank you SO much. My inlaws hate my childrens names so its nice to get a great compliment about them :slight_smile: you just cheered a momma up big time!!!

We are both totally willing to comprimise, we just want names that fit, and we are having a hard time finding two that fit.

I ADRORE [name_f]Coletta[/name_f]… this is exactly the help we needed because we somehow didnt put together how similar the names were. I like names that end in A, [name_f]Colette[/name_f] is probably my favorite from his list, but the E ending sounds harsh and incomplete when i say it. I think [name_f]Coletta[/name_f] would be a great comprimise, though i think my inlaws would still hate it :frowning:

You are on a roll with this name thing, again we didnt realize how we could blend our lists, i love the idea of [name_f]Alessandra[/name_f], NN;Alara

We are also not a fan of the one parent picks one name, we want to have names we both adore, we also want to make our families happy, but thats not as easy. We were trying to go for the second idea you have, but just couldnt come up with combos we both liked.

We worry about giving one daughter a Turkish name, while all of our other children have names that are italian/ spanish in origin and easily pronounced where we live, with my accent i have a hard time pronouncing his names, and with his accent he has a hard time with mine. He is good with our current childrens names becasue they are fairly short.

I’m SO glad I could help and cheer you up! :smiley: Both [name_m]Matteo[/name_m] and [name_f]Eloisa[/name_f] are on my own List so I really do love them! Relations can be so demanding and they don’t seem to realise how much their harsh opinions can hurt or how much thought and effort you have put into your decisions! My Husband’s Family are never pleased with anything and I am finally at a place where I realise the problem truly is their attitude rather than anything which I have done or failed to do!

[name_f]Alessandra[/name_f] is lovely, so delicate but strong! I also love Names ending in A and my Husband actually came up with [name_f]Coletta[/name_f] years ago and I love it! [name_f]Alessandra[/name_f] and [name_f]Coletta[/name_f] would make a BEAUTIFUL Twin [name_m]Set[/name_m]!

I agree that it would be nice for all four Siblings to have Names which have a similar feel! You are doing a terrific job! :slight_smile: