Naming your child after your fav song.

If you had to name your child after your favorite song (and giving him/her the name of the singer(s)/Musician(s)/Band would not count), what would you name him or her?

And how?

Let’s use the song [name_f]Misty[/name_f] as an example:

Would you just give him/her the title of the song as a (nick)name (does not always work): [name_f]Misty[/name_f] or [name_u]Artemis[/name_u] nn [name_f]Misty[/name_f]
Would you give him/her a name that has a meaning related to the (title of the) song: [name_f]Noelani[/name_f] (meaning “heavenly mist”)
or would it be just impossibe to do this with your favorite song?

What I would do:

[name_u]Hayden[/name_u] [name_u]Jude[/name_u] - Hey [name_u]Jude[/name_u]

I actually know someone who did this:

A woman and her husband both loved the song [name_u]Penny[/name_u] [name_u]Lane[/name_u], and he loved it so much he wanted to name their daughter [name_u]Penny[/name_u] [name_u]Lane[/name_u]. But she did not feel comfortable naming her just after the song. So they compromised and gave her the family name [name_f]Seraphine[/name_f] and [name_f]Elena[/name_f] as a middle to still get [name_u]Penny[/name_u] [name_u]Lane[/name_u], but also a fall-back name.

And that is the story of how my niece [name_f]Seraphine[/name_f] nn [name_u]Penny[/name_u] [name_u]Lane[/name_u] got her name :wink:

For me it would probably be [name_m]Sayer[/name_m] [name_u]Wren[/name_u] or something ([name_m]Say[/name_m] When)

I am not exactly sure what my favourite song is, but these are a few of them that I could and would use:

[name_f]Prudence[/name_f]- Dear [name_f]Prudence[/name_f], The Beatles
[name_f]Peggy[/name_f]- [name_f]Peggy[/name_f]-O, [name_m]Simon[/name_m] and Garfunkel
[name_f]Susie[/name_f]- Wake Up [name_m]Little[/name_m] [name_f]Susie[/name_f], The [name_u]Everly[/name_u] Brothers
[name_f]Barbara[/name_f] / [name_f]Bunny[/name_f]- [name_f]Barbara[/name_f] [name_m]Allen[/name_m] (I really like the [name_m]Art[/name_m] Garfunkel version)
[name_f]Claudette[/name_f]- [name_f]Claudette[/name_f], [name_u]Everly[/name_u] Brothers

I would be pretty straight forward with it though. I love the idea of having a ‘song’ for my child. My sister’s is [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] [name_f]Tuesday[/name_f] (her middle name is [name_u]Ruby[/name_u]) and mine is [name_m]Brown[/name_m] Eyed Girl (hazel eyes, but close enough :)) as well as Are You Gonna Be My Girl, which is sort of our shared song.

My favourite song is the title song from The Sound of [name_f]Music[/name_f]. I would use [name_f]Maria[/name_f] as a middle name if I were to honour the song, as she is the character who sings it. Since [name_f]Maree[/name_f] is a family name, I would quite likely use one of those variations if I were to have another girl, covering both bases. I already have a daughter with a middle name after my favourite book character.

My favourite song is [name_f]Honey[/name_f] and the [name_f]Bee[/name_f] by Owl City, so possible options:
[name_f]Honey[/name_f]
[name_f]Bee[/name_f]
[name_f]Melissa[/name_f] ([name_f]Honey[/name_f]-bee)–> But I’m not the biggest fan on [name_f]Melissa[/name_f].

So my daughter would be [name_f]Honey[/name_f] [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] “[name_f]Honey[/name_f]-[name_f]Bee[/name_f]”. If I could use the artist/band name, she’d be [name_f]Honey[/name_f] [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] Owl.

Wow, that was easier than using family names! And I think I have a new combo crush!

I love the song “[name_f]Georgia[/name_f] on my mind.” I have considered this as a first name because of it. I could imagine expecting and humming it to myself. :slight_smile:

The closest I can come to picking a favorite song is my favorite [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] carol, “Oh, Holy [name_m]Night[/name_m].” I could use [name_f]Ariadne[/name_f] [name_f]Layla[/name_f]. Together, they mean “most holy night.”

This has been fun to read. My favorite songs change as time goes by. Currently it’s Oats in the Water by [name_m]Ben[/name_m] [name_u]Howard[/name_u]. Not sure what Icould do with that. He has another song I love called [name_f]Esmerelda[/name_f], so that would probably be my pick.

[name_f]Honey[/name_f] is one of my favourite names! I absolutely love it- [name_f]Honey[/name_f] [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] is very gorgeous. Owl is also one of my favourite middle names.

[name_f]Sarah[/name_f] McLachlan “[name_u]Angel[/name_u]”
boy: [name_m]Lachlan[/name_m] [name_u]Angel[/name_u]

[name_f]Jane[/name_f]'s Addiction “[name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_m]Said[/name_m]”
girl: [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_f]Calliope[/name_f]

The Cure: “Lovecats”
MN Lovecat

Myosotis reminded me: [name_f]Honey[/name_f], [name_u]Bobby[/name_u] Goldsboro

I would use [name_f]Honey[/name_f] [name_f]Roberta[/name_f] (hey- two of my favourite names :))

I really love “Lua” by [name_u]Bright[/name_u] Eyes. That said, [name_u]Bright[/name_u] Eyes is such a guilty pleasure band that I doubt I’d name a daughter Lua…though it would make a cute nn for [name_f]Louise[/name_f]!

[name_u]Taylor[/name_u] [name_m]Hanson[/name_m] (of the band [name_m]Hanson[/name_m]) and His wife [name_f]Natalie[/name_f] have done this with [name_m]Hanson[/name_m] songs. [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] [name_f]Ann[/name_f] and the song “[name_u]Penny[/name_u] and Me” it’s not clear which [name_u]Penny[/name_u] came first here although the song did appear just before her birth. [name_u]River[/name_u] [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] and the song “[name_u]River[/name_u]” written more than a decade before his son was born.

As far as pop songs, I’ve never had a favorite song. It never stays, at least. But I have a few favorite classical pieces on the piano. [name_f]Maple[/name_f] [name_u]Leaf[/name_u] Rag is a song I just recently mastered, and I’m so happy. I think [name_f]Maple[/name_f] would make a great reference to that. (I already have it as a middle for [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f], but i may have to consider [name_f]Maple[/name_f] [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f].

Anyway, there’s also [name_f]Claire[/name_f] de [name_f]Lune[/name_f] which I’m learning now. Obviously, it’s a straight shot to [name_f]Claire[/name_f] or [name_f]Luna[/name_f], both which I already love.

My friend would like to think that [name_f]Iris[/name_f] is after the song by the Goo Goo Dolls… Unfortunately for her that’s not the case. I don’t think I have a definite favorite song and I don’t have many favorite songs with names that I like in them

Since Fur [name_f]Elise[/name_f] is my all-time fave that’s easy… [name_f]Elise[/name_f]!

My current love is Somewhere Only We Know so I’m not sure what I could do with that…

My favourite songs change all the time and usually don’t have clear, usable namesakes. I will say, though, that I end up liking a name more if I know a song that contains it. My favourite girl names these days are [name_f]Maria[/name_f] and [name_f]Lila[/name_f], and I think the songs “[name_f]Maria[/name_f]” by Blondie and “[name_f]Lyla[/name_f]” by Oasis (different spelling but the same sound) add a certain appeal to the names. I like to picture singing a song to a little one that has their name in it, and I like that both of those songs are kind of upbeat and fun! Unfortunately my favourite boy names don’t work as easily, although [name_u]James[/name_u] [name_u]Taylor[/name_u]'s “Sweet [name_u]Baby[/name_u] [name_u]James[/name_u]” did make me appreciate [name_u]James[/name_u] a lot more and add it to my long list.

Two of my favourite songs are Vampire Weekend - [name_f]Hannah[/name_f] [name_m]Hunt[/name_m], and [name_f]Regina[/name_f] Spektor - [name_m]Samson[/name_m], hence my love for [name_f]Hannah[/name_f] and [name_m]Samson[/name_m]/[name_m]Samuel[/name_m].

My favorite songs vary from mood to mood. These will be based on my current favorites or names that come to mind straight away.

A boy would be [name_m]Samson[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m] after [name_m]Samson[/name_m] by [name_f]Regina[/name_f] Spektor and Beggar, Wiseman, Or Thief by [name_f]Isobel[/name_f] [name_u]Campbell[/name_u].

A girl would be [name_f]Azalea[/name_f] [name_f]Reverie[/name_f] after [name_f]Azalea[/name_f] by [name_m]Louis[/name_m] [name_m]Armstrong[/name_m] & [name_m]Duke[/name_m] [name_u]Ellington[/name_u] and [name_u]Dream[/name_u] by [name_f]Priscilla[/name_f] Ahn.

My daughter’s name ([name_f]Annabel[/name_f]) was actually inspired in part by one of my favorite songs - “Another [name_m]New[/name_m] World” by [name_m]Josh[/name_m] [name_m]Ritter[/name_m].

For another child, I would seriously consider [name_f]Emaline[/name_f] for the [name_m]Ben[/name_m] Folds song and [name_m]Samson[/name_m] for the [name_f]Regina[/name_f] Spektor tune.