Narcissa: a realistic choice or not?

I love the way it sounds,but worry about the negative connotation. What do my fellow berries think?

I definitely would not use it due to the connotation.

The connotation is very strong for me too. I wouldn’t.

I [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] [name_f]Narcissa[/name_f]… but I think it’ll stay on my GP list. [name_u]Forever[/name_u].

I absolutely love it, I love to say it as well but unfortunately at this stage it has that negative attachment.

It would take a brave soul to use it, though I’m sure it would also attract some positive comments as it is so very lovely.

It’s VERY off-putting to me. I wouldn’t be eager to meet a child named [name_f]Narcissa[/name_f].

[name_f]Narcissa[/name_f] is pretty in theory but way too close to narcissistic for me. It might work as a middle name.

As just a name, with no strings attached, i like it very much.
In reality i would use it though, because yes, i dont think the meaning is very nice.

Well if you don’t mind the connection, why not? Although, your daughter might hate it later in her life, so I’d say no nevertheless.

As everyone knows, nameberry is not the same as the real world. I feel like a child named [name_f]Narcissa[/name_f] would get dirty looks and plenty of “your mother named you THAT?”

if you like it, use it. It is a beautiful flower name.

Not only does it have the association of “narcissism”, it is also the name of one of the Malfoys in [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] which adds another negative connotation for me. Like others have said, it may make a beautiful mn.

Thanks Berries, although I love the name, at the end of the day, I’d have to agree with most of you and say it is not really realistic. Also, as for the Malfoy connection, [name_m]Lucien[/name_m] is one of their names too and I think it’s a great name.

Other than narcissism, as a name [name_f]Narcissa[/name_f] makes me think of [name_f]Narcisa[/name_f] Tranca. She was a [name_u]Roma[/name_u] girl who had a series of articles published about her life and early marriage some years ago.

A nice alternative would be [name_f]Nerissa[/name_f]. I love its [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m] connection.

Than you bonfireazalea, great suggestion

The connotation is too strong for me as well. To make matters worse for the name, they gave it to a character in [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] who embodied the narcissism trait. I think it will be a long time before this name is usable.

Yeah, I wouldn’t want a name derived from the word narcissism or narcissistic. Plus, there’s the unfortunate nickname [name_f]Sissy[/name_f].

I think you’re thinking of [name_m]Lucius[/name_m], which is worlds away (read: way more snobby-sounding) from [name_m]Lucien[/name_m] [name_f]IMO[/name_f]. The Malfoys’ names were chosen to make them sound snooty and pretentious, so I wouldn’t use any of them in real life, [name_f]Narcissa[/name_f] least of all due to the narcissism thing.

I love the suggestion of [name_f]Nerissa[/name_f]! Similar sound without the negative connotations. Much better.

[name_f]My[/name_f] mind read narcissistic when I was skimming the forum. Personally I do not care for the name. Sorry.

I wouldn’t use it. It’s just asking for teasing.

Have you considered Nakisa (prn nuh-kees-uh)? It means “jewel.”