Narrowed Down to 7 Names - Sister to Griffin Turner

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] friends! You were all such a huge help to us as we narrowed down a huge list of girl names last month. We’re expecting our first daughter in [name_f]October[/name_f], sister to [name_u]Griffin[/name_u] [name_m]Turner[/name_m]. I’ll write out a few thoughts that we’re considering with each name—would love to hear your favorites and anything you notice. Our last name is Scottish and starts with an E if that’s helpful. Open to any middle name suggestions as well!

Names we’re considering:
[name_f]Pippa[/name_f]
[name_u]Willow[/name_u]
[name_f]Alette[/name_f]
[name_f]Aurora[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilia[/name_f]
[name_f]Cecily[/name_f]
[name_f]Clover[/name_f]

[name_u]Griffin[/name_u] and [name_f]Pippa[/name_f]
[name_u]Griffin[/name_u] and [name_u]Willow[/name_u]
[name_u]Griffin[/name_u] and [name_f]Alette[/name_f]
[name_u]Griffin[/name_u] and [name_f]Aurora[/name_f]
[name_u]Griffin[/name_u] and [name_f]Lilia[/name_f]
[name_u]Griffin[/name_u] and [name_f]Cecily[/name_f]
[name_u]Griffin[/name_u] and [name_f]Clover[/name_f]

A few notes on these names:

[name_f]Pippa[/name_f] - We love that this name is both whimsical and classy at the same time. It has a UK feel to it, and lots of sweet nicknames. I know the name from a character in the book, The Goldfinch, and we think it works well for a little girl and an adult woman. However, from our research, it seems very divisive. Lots of people see it as a pet name more than a person name, and we know it has some vulgar meanings in other languages. These considerations are throwing us for a loop!

[name_u]Willow[/name_u] - We think this is a beautiful, peaceful name. It’s soft and magical. Our neighbors have a willow tree in their yard, and it could be a sweet memory from our time living at this house. We can’t really think of any great nicknames for this one outside of [name_f]Lo[/name_f], which is actually my nickname.

[name_f]Alette[/name_f] - We like that it’s pretty and means “truth” in Greek or small-winged one. Sounds like the word “alight.” It may be too girly for us? We also don’t love the possibility of the nickname [name_f]Ally[/name_f].

[name_f]Aurora[/name_f] - We think this name is really versatile. It’s beautiful and feminine yet majestic at the same time and means “dawn.” The biggest con for me is that [name_u]Rory[/name_u] is the only nickname that makes sense to me, and while I like that name, it seems a bit too obviously [name_m]Gilmore[/name_m] Girls.

[name_f]Lilia[/name_f] - We love that this is a way to do [name_f]Lily[/name_f] or [name_f]Lila[/name_f] in a unique way. It’s pretty and rolls off the tongue. [name_f]My[/name_f] husband feels like it’s a bit overcomplicated?

[name_f]Cecily[/name_f] - We’ve always liked this name and that it sounds vintage and Latin. It’s pretty, and we think it pairs well with [name_u]Griffin[/name_u]. We can’t get past that it means “blind,” though, and we really dislike the nickname [name_f]Cece[/name_f]. I think we could do nicknames like [name_f]Celie[/name_f] or [name_f]Cilla[/name_f] but maybe that’s a stretch.

[name_f]Clover[/name_f] - We like that this is future world sounding yet also botanical. [name_u]Clove[/name_u] as a nickname is warm and makes us think of spices and autumn, but the name also has a summery feel. It’s just a cool name! Our cons are that it sort of makes us think of bunnies? :slight_smile:

Thank you for listening! I know everyone has different associations with these names, and they will probably fall on everyone’s ears differently. We appreciate your feedback!

Pippa is my favourite. I also like [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] and [name_f]Clover[/name_f]. [name_f]Clover[/name_f] seems closer to the unique style of [name_u]Griffin[/name_u].

1 Like

Ooh, great list! I like [name_f]Pippa[/name_f], [name_u]Willow[/name_u] and [name_f]Clover[/name_f] the best. I’m not aware of any bad associations with [name_f]Pippa[/name_f], and it definitely feels like a full name to me. At a push [name_u]Willow[/name_u] could be called [name_m]Will[/name_m], [name_f]Willa[/name_f], [name_f]Lolo[/name_f], [name_f]Lola[/name_f]… Or just [name_u]Willow[/name_u]! And [name_f]Clover[/name_f] has the word “love” in the middle of it!

Middle name suggestions…
[name_f]Pippa[/name_f] [name_u]Willow[/name_u]
[name_f]Pippa[/name_f] [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f]
[name_f]Pippa[/name_f] [name_f]Alouette[/name_f]
[name_f]Pippa[/name_f] [name_u]Sage[/name_u]

Willow [name_f]Cecily[/name_f]
[name_u]Willow[/name_u] [name_f]Amelie[/name_f]
[name_u]Willow[/name_u] [name_f]Freya[/name_f]
[name_u]Willow[/name_u] [name_u]Cove[/name_u]

Clover [name_u]Willow[/name_u]
[name_f]Clover[/name_f] [name_u]June[/name_u]
[name_f]Clover[/name_f] [name_f]Faye[/name_f]
[name_f]Clover[/name_f] [name_f]Lillian[/name_f]

I like [name_f]Aurora[/name_f], [name_f]Cecily[/name_f], [name_f]Clover[/name_f], and [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] the best off your list.

My personal favorites with [name_u]Griffin[/name_u] are [name_f]Pippa[/name_f], [name_u]Willow[/name_u], and [name_f]Cecily[/name_f]. I really like [name_u]Willow[/name_u] for you though because it sounds like the name has such a beautiful image and connection for you. I don’t think it needs a nickname but [name_f]Lola[/name_f] or [name_f]Willa[/name_f] could work for a pet name around the house.

Pippa feels perfect. I like how it shares the double letters of [name_u]Griffin[/name_u] and it just feels so sweet yet sophisticated

Definitely [name_f]Pippa[/name_f] or [name_f]Cecily[/name_f]!

I vote for [name_u]Willow[/name_u]. Nicknames options… [name_f]Willa[/name_f], [name_f]Lili[/name_f], Lowy, [name_f]Lilo[/name_f]
I think it goes great with [name_u]Griffin[/name_u]. It’s elegant and spunky. It’s a winner.
[name_u]Willow[/name_u] [name_f]Cecily[/name_f]
[name_u]Willow[/name_u] [name_f]Lilia[/name_f]
[name_u]Willow[/name_u] [name_u]Jean[/name_u]
[name_u]Willow[/name_u] [name_f]Cate[/name_f]
[name_u]Willow[/name_u] [name_f]Naomi[/name_f]

I love [name_f]Lilia[/name_f]. I do see the point about over complicating [name_f]Lily[/name_f], because [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] will likely get shortened to [name_f]Lily[/name_f] at some point in her life. But if you love the sound of it and it makes you happy then I say go for it!
[name_f]Lilia[/name_f] [name_u]Willow[/name_u] / [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] / [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] [name_f]Margot[/name_f] / [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] [name_f]Clover[/name_f] / [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] [name_f]Frances[/name_f]

I like the idea of [name_f]Pippa[/name_f]. It’s very bright and spritely. But it does remind me of Peppa Pig, who is a beloved character, but also a pig. Maybe by the time she’s in school Peppa won’t be as relevant. What about [name_u]Piper[/name_u] or [name_f]Philippa[/name_f] nn [name_f]Pippa[/name_f] ?
[name_f]Pippa[/name_f] [name_f]Delphine[/name_f] / [name_f]Pippa[/name_f] [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] / [name_f]Pippa[/name_f] [name_f]Fern[/name_f]

Alette is pretty and light but also has strength to it. It sort of sounds like [name_f]Colette[/name_f] but cut in half.

Cecily is sweet, but I agree that nicknames are complicated with this one. Cecy (sessy)? Ceely? [name_f]Cece[/name_f]? It’s a tough one if you’re nickname people.

With [name_u]Griffin[/name_u] I really like [name_u]Willow[/name_u]! [name_f]Clover[/name_f] and [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] are great choices too.

I think [name_f]Pippa[/name_f] and [name_u]Willow[/name_u] compliment [name_u]Griffin[/name_u] the best!

I love [name_f]Clover[/name_f]! So reminiscent of a pleasant day spent near a river bed on a summer afternoon.

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] there.

Here are my thoughts on your list-

[name_f]Pippa[/name_f]-I am not familiar w/the vulgar meanings in other languages, so I think it’s cute. I don’t see why it’s more of a pet name than anything else either. I’m kind of more into [name_f]Philippa[/name_f] nn [name_f]Pippa[/name_f], since it seems more official. But just [name_f]Pippa[/name_f] isn’t a problem. You seem to love it, & I agree that it’s whimsical and classy at the same time . It’s nice w/Griffin too.

[name_u]Willow[/name_u]-I don’t mind this name. I agree that it has a peaceful sound. I think that I’m just put off by it because it’s kind of very trendy right now.

[name_f]Alette[/name_f]-This is probably going to get mispronounced & misspelled a lot. It is too close to the word alright to me, which seems weird as a name. And I don’t personally care for [name_f]Ally[/name_f] either.

[name_f]Aurora[/name_f]-I agree that it’s a nice classic, feminine & slightly majestic name. And I also agree that [name_u]Rory[/name_u] is meh.

[name_f]Lilia[/name_f]-I love it! It’s one of my favorite girl names. And my mom named her cat [name_f]Lilia[/name_f]. :grin: :cat: It’s a more unique [name_f]Lily[/name_f] name, plus has a super feminine exotic sound. It goes nice w/Griffin too, & I don’t think that it’s complicated.

[name_f]Cecily[/name_f]-This has a very sweet sound. It’s very unique w/out being weird & goes well w/Griffin. I get you on the meaning. It is a little off putting, but maybe not a deal breaker? I don’t like [name_f]Cece[/name_f] either. It’s kind of popular in my area! Mostly Cecilias. [name_f]Cece[/name_f] could be somewhat unavoidable.

[name_f]Clover[/name_f]-This is a great choice. Simple, unique & beautiful imagery. The botanical imagery & I like that it reminds you of a bunny!

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I love [name_f]Cecily[/name_f], [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] and then [name_f]Pippa[/name_f] in that order.

You can definitely avoid [name_f]Cece[/name_f] as a nickname for [name_f]Cecily[/name_f] and, whilst [name_f]Cilla[/name_f] and [name_f]Celie[/name_f] both work, you can just go by the full name or Ceci. Cec could just be the call-name!

I don’t think [name_u]Rory[/name_u] is too [name_m]Gilmore[/name_m] Girls as her full name is [name_f]Lorelei[/name_f], but what about [name_f]Aura[/name_f]?

1 Like

I like [name_f]Clover[/name_f], [name_u]Willow[/name_u] and [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] best! [name_f]My[/name_f] reasoning: I knew a [name_f]Clover[/name_f] who fit her name perfectly and never made me specifically think of bunnies, though on one hand bunnies are sweet and can give the name a extra smiley feeling to it. [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] is really cheerful and I can imagine on basically any age person. It is not overdone unless you originally wanted [name_f]Lila[/name_f] or [name_f]Liliana[/name_f], then I can see it being slightly overdone but still nice. [name_u]Willow[/name_u] in general just gives off a breezy, cheerful feel and as long as you like the neighbors with the willow tree, I think it is great! And nickname could be [name_m]Will[/name_m] or [name_m]Willy[/name_m]. And a long stretch but [name_f]Cecily[/name_f] could become [name_f]Lily[/name_f].

How about:
[name_u]Willow[/name_u] [name_f]Cecily[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilia[/name_f] [name_f]Cecily[/name_f]
[name_f]Clover[/name_f] [name_f]Alette[/name_f]
[name_u]Willow[/name_u] [name_f]Alette[/name_f]
[name_f]Clover[/name_f] [name_f]Aurora[/name_f]
[name_u]Willow[/name_u] [name_f]Aurora[/name_f]
[name_f]Clover[/name_f] [name_f]Pippa[/name_f]

[name_f]Clover[/name_f] and [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] are absolutely stunning with [name_u]Griffin[/name_u]!

Lilia [name_f]Clover[/name_f] does have a nice ring to it!

All of the names are lovely, but I definitely like [name_u]Willow[/name_u] best with [name_u]Griffin[/name_u]! :smiley:

We have a [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] and love the name. She’s seven, spunky, into mechanical things (most likely to be bent over the bonnet/hood of her grandad’s car trying to work out what’s up with the engine).

BUT my first choice with [name_u]Griffin[/name_u] is actually [name_f]Cecily[/name_f]. [name_u]Griffin[/name_u] and [name_f]Cecily[/name_f] sounds like an awesome pair to my ears, evoking slightly the quirky early 2000s epistolary novels about [name_u]Griffin[/name_u] and [name_f]Sabine[/name_f].

1 Like

I really love [name_f]Cecily[/name_f] and don’t hear it very often. That’s my top pick

1 Like

I love [name_u]Willow[/name_u] [name_f]Pippa[/name_f] or [name_f]Pippa[/name_f] [name_u]Willow[/name_u]! It goes wonderfully with [name_u]Griffin[/name_u]!