Narrowed down to the final five - vote on your favourite!

We have narrowed down our girl’s names to these “finalists” (in no particular order) and I need your help! The middle name will 100% be Grey in honour of a family member who recently passed away. Our last name is three syllables and starts with H.

• Liv Grey
  • Olivia Grey
  • Claire Grey
  • Clara Grey
  • Ella Grey

0 voters

1 Like

With mn [name_u]Grey[/name_u] I’m hesitant with [name_f]Liv[/name_f]. Because then it sounds like a verb and a color as opposed to a name. Picked [name_f]Clara[/name_f] [name_u]Grey[/name_u] as I felt it had the best flow! :purple_heart:

2 Likes

[name_f]Clara[/name_f] and [name_f]Ella[/name_f] are stunning with the middle name [name_u]Grey[/name_u] !

I’m hesitant with [name_f]Oliva[/name_f] and [name_f]Liv[/name_f] that it will sound very descriptive . However if [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] nicknames [name_f]Liv[/name_f] is where your heart is at I totally get it !

1 Like

I love [name_f]Clara[/name_f]! [name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_f]Claire[/name_f], too, but not with the middle name [name_u]Grey[/name_u]. I agree that [name_f]Liv[/name_f] [name_u]Grey[/name_u] sounds more like a verb and an adjective and don’t personally care for the flow or Liv’s informality. [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] and [name_f]Ella[/name_f] are both nice, but they pale in comparison to [name_f]Clara[/name_f] for me. Good luck!

1 Like

[name_f]Clara[/name_f] [name_u]Grey[/name_u] us my favorite. [name_f]Beautiful[/name_f]!

1 Like

[name_m]Even[/name_m] though I adore [name_f]Liv[/name_f], I also love [name_f]Clara[/name_f] and think it flows better with [name_u]Grey[/name_u]. In saying that, I do still like [name_f]Liv[/name_f] [name_u]Grey[/name_u] and think it’s a lovely options if you decide [name_f]Liv[/name_f] is your top choice. [name_f]Ella[/name_f] would be my third choice, then [name_f]Claire[/name_f], then [name_f]Olivia[/name_f].

2 Likes

[name_f]Clara[/name_f] [name_u]Grey[/name_u] is a delight!!

2 Likes

[name_f]Clara[/name_f] [name_u]Grey[/name_u] is my husband’s favourite so he’s happy to see it’s in the lead haha!

[name_f]My[/name_f] hesitation with [name_f]Clara[/name_f] is that while I personally love the sound of it and like that it’s a bit different (I don’t know any Clara’s), I heard that it is a “cow” name?? Does anyone else think of the cow association when they see/hear the name [name_f]Clara[/name_f]?

I made the mistake of Googling this and apparently there is a Disney character called [name_f]Clarabelle[/name_f] the cow :frowning: I have to admit, it sadly took away from the name for me a little. I definitely don’t want to give my daughter a “cow name” or put her in a position where there will be teasing because of her name.

1 Like

I know several little Claras and, even though I’ve heard of [name_f]Clarabelle[/name_f] the cow, that reference has never crossed my mind. Don’t worry about it!

3 Likes

I like [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_u]Grey[/name_u]. I love [name_f]Olivia[/name_f]! You could always still call her [name_f]Liv[/name_f] if you do [name_f]Olivia[/name_f].

1 Like

[name_f]Olivia[/name_f] nn [name_f]Liv[/name_f]!

1 Like

[name_f]Clarabelle[/name_f] is all Disney cow to me, but [name_f]Clara[/name_f] makes me think of the Nutcracker and the late 1800s– early 1900s. It’s too elegant to seem bovine!

3 Likes

I like [name_f]Clara[/name_f] [name_u]Grey[/name_u], because it flows best.

Personally I prefer the name [name_f]Claire[/name_f] over [name_f]Clara[/name_f]. It seems less frilly / more tailored.

Nicknames develop when names are shortened. I say shorten [name_f]Clara[/name_f] to [name_u]Clare[/name_u] and see if it sticks. The spelling is a little different and a natural spelling for Clara’s nickname. That way you don’t have to worry about your association with [name_f]Clarabelle[/name_f] the Cow, yet it flows better and sounds more elegant as a formal name with the middle name [name_u]Grey[/name_u].

1 Like

Honestly [name_f]Clara[/name_f] and [name_f]Clarabelle[/name_f] are two completely different names to me - and I’d bet to most people. [name_f]Clarabelle[/name_f] is Minnies best friend (next to [name_f]Daisy[/name_f], [name_u]Penny[/name_u], and [name_f]Lily[/name_f]- Inhabe a three year old daughter :wink: so I hear [name_f]Clarabelle[/name_f] and I get instant imagery of her and yes she is a cow. BUT it’s a bit of a stretch to make that cow
Connection with [name_f]Clara[/name_f] / [name_f]Claire[/name_f] so I’d say it’s safe💜

2 Likes

We have a [name_f]Clara[/name_f] and haven’t had any cow associations and I have 2 friends with little Claras and the issue hasn’t come up!
[name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_f]Clara[/name_f] [name_u]Grey[/name_u], but really all the names are wonderful and just follow your heart and you can’t go wrong!

2 Likes

[name_f]Ella[/name_f] [name_u]Grey[/name_u] is my favourite combo for flow and feel — very spunky and jazzy.

But I adore the name [name_f]Liv[/name_f] and even though it feels a little abrupt with a single-syllable middle, I still voted for it because the first-middle combo is barely used in comparison to the first-surname. And it sounds like simple, chic [name_f]Liv[/name_f] would flow beautifully with your longer surname.

1 Like

[name_f]Liv[/name_f] is my favorite name out of all of your choices but I chose [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] since it flows better with [name_u]Grey[/name_u]!

1 Like

Thank you for all your responses so far! They are really helping us out!

Some of you have mentioned that you love the name [name_f]Liv[/name_f] but not so much the abruptness of the one syllable “Liv” and “Grey” together (which I do agree that it sounds harsher than the others).

Does it change anything to know that “Liv Grey” actually contains a hidden message for my husband and I? I may not be articulating this properly, but here’s the gist … The past 2 years brought several challenges for us as a family (my husband was hospitalized, we lost a close family member, we are now getting our rainbow baby after a loss, etc.). We often say to each other that life is not black and white and we have to embrace “Living in the grey” and that life is really just one beautiful shade of grey.

This may not make a lot of sense to other people haha but I thought I’d add in this context. I don’t think we would actually share this sentiment with other people, but it makes the abruptness of the name [name_f]Liv[/name_f] [name_u]Grey[/name_u] a little more usable to us I think.

1 Like

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] there! I really love both [name_f]Clara[/name_f] & [name_f]Olivia[/name_f]. Both are light, timeless, elegant yet full of strength.

[name_f]My[/name_f] husband and I really wanted to name our youngest daughter [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] but chose not to due to rankings in popularity. We also have a very common surname so thought she might often meet other Olivia’s with the exact full name. However, our oldest is in Kinder this year at a small private school (185 students) and there is ONE [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] in the entire school! This might not be the norm, but this has at times made me wish that we would have gone with the name we loved, [name_f]Olivia[/name_f], for our youngest and not worried too much about popularity. I do regret not choosing [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] as it has the built in nicknames [name_f]Livi[/name_f] and [name_f]Liv[/name_f] which are incredibly charming.
As for [name_f]Clara[/name_f], it is equally beautiful. It has the extra spark and class above [name_f]Claire[/name_f], without being over the top. I find [name_f]Clara[/name_f] stylish and chic. I imagine she would receive compliments often on her name.

You have perfect options but wanted to also suggest both [name_f]Sofie[/name_f] & [name_f]Heidi[/name_f]. There is a small boutique nearby called [name_f]Sofie[/name_f] [name_u]Grey[/name_u] and I’ve always thought that combination could not be prettier. [name_f]Heidi[/name_f] also seems like your style and wondered if the alliteration with your surname would be incredibly charming.
Best of luck!

1 Like