Narrowed it down to 4 names, please help, we are stuck!

[name]Hi[/name] everyone. I posted on this site for the first time a while ago in an effort to find a name for my baby girl due in [name]May[/name]. My husband and I have narrowed down our list to four names. I’ve written some pros and cons about each name below that are making our decision difficult. We would love some feedback about which name sounds the best. We also have a son named [name]Nicholas[/name] and with him we decided really easily and with our daughter we are having a real difficult time. I have my own paranoid fear that I’m going to decide on a name now and then find in future that I’m not going to like it and regret naming my daughter that. I’m not sure why I think these things, I’m just much more indecisive and unsure than I was with [name]Nicholas[/name]. Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated :slight_smile:

[name]Angelina[/name] [name]Vivian[/name] - Pros: Really like the nicknames Ang and [name]Angie[/name]. Also, [name]Gia[/name] was on my original list as a first name and a friend suggested [name]Gia[/name] as a nickname for [name]Angelina[/name] which I love. [name]Vivian[/name] is to honor my late Aunt.

Cons: Everyone keeps telling me that people will automatically think I named her after [name]Angelina[/name] [name]Jolie[/name], which I’m not obviously. This really doesn’t bother me, however, in the same way that it bothers people around me.

I also originally loved [name]Angelica[/name] but hubby hates it so [name]Angelina[/name] would be our compromise, yet I’ve actually started to like [name]Angelina[/name] better than [name]Angelica[/name] lately.

[name]Lydia[/name] [name]Claire[/name] : Pros: Really like the way the name [name]Lydia[/name] sounds and looks when written. Nothing too much to say about it, I just like it and find that it sounds kind of mysterious, but in a good way.

Cons: My husband doesn’t like it or dislike it, he just thinks its ok. When I hear characters on tv and such named [name]Lydia[/name] I’m not as crazy about the way it sounds as opposed to when I say it out loud, but then again I will most likely be hearing myself say it more than anybody so I don’t know if that’s a big deal or not. Also, I can’t think of any nicknames because I’m really not a fan of Lyd or Lyddy.

[name]Olivia[/name] [name]Meredith[/name]- Pros: [name]LOVE[/name] the nickname [name]Liv[/name]. Again, just like the way it sounds. [name]Meredith[/name] is to honor my mother.

Cons: A friend of a friend is named [name]Olivia[/name] and I’m not crazy about her, but again shes not a close friend of mine and I barely see her so I don’t know how concerned I should be of that. Like [name]Lydia[/name], my husband does not love or hate it.

[name]Eliana[/name] [name]Brooke[/name]: Pros: I learned from this site that [name]Eliana[/name] is another form of [name]Helena[/name], which is my grandmother’s name. I’m not as crazy about [name]Helena[/name] as I am about [name]Eliana[/name] so I thought this would be a different way to honor her. I also like the exotic feel of the name [name]Eliana[/name].

Cons: My mother says it sounds too foreign and that people will find it too different. I worry that its too long, even though [name]Angelina[/name] is just as long but for some reason sounds shorter when I say it out loud and also for some reason I have trouble picturing it on a baby and see it as more of a woman’s name.

Also, I would love to know, if we don’t end up using [name]Lydia[/name] or [name]Olivia[/name] for this child and I end up using one for a future child, which one do you prefer? Because they basically rhyme so I could never use both. Thank you so much!!

P.S. Sorry this is so long!

First of all, I [name]LOVE[/name] (!!!) the name [name]Nicholas[/name]. It is my all-time favorite boys’ name and I’m so excited to have one of my own. :slight_smile:

As far as your girls’ name woes go, (wow, that’s hard to say), anyway, don’t worry. My husband is always telling me that no matter what associations you have with a name now, if you decide it will be your child’s name, within a few months, those associations will go away and you will love the name because it is your child’s.

From your list, [name]Lydia[/name] [name]Claire[/name] is far and beyond my favorite. It is so beautiful and works beautifully with [name]Nicholas[/name]. It does have a wonderful sound to it, and I just think it is fun to say. Also, if you’re worried about nicknames, [name]Lia[/name] isn’t much of a stretch, if you like it.

I can understand your concerns with all of your other names. I’m worried that [name]Angelina[/name] is, for a very long time hence, only to be associated with [name]Jolie[/name]… so sorry.

[name]Eliana[/name] does sound foreign and [name]IMO[/name] doesn’t go with the very classic [name]Nicholas[/name].

Finally, [name]Olivia[/name]. I really can see the appeal of this name, though that’s probably why it is in the top 10. Its popularity is something that might bother you. If not, there is no reason not to use it… except for the fact that I like [name]Lydia[/name] better. :slight_smile: (jk)

Good luck with everything!

I love [name]Lydia[/name] [name]Claire[/name]! It’s definitely my favorite on your list!

[name]Hi[/name]! I love your son’s name! :slight_smile:

[name]Angelina[/name] [name]Vivian[/name]: I think that [name]Angelina[/name] is a very pretty name. Like you mentioned, I think that some people may automatically think of [name]Angelina[/name] [name]Jolie[/name] at first, because she’s the only [name]Angelina[/name] of whom a lot of people know. I admit that I do think of [name]Jolie[/name] when I hear the name, but I don’t think of it as a bad thing. Plus, if I met a little [name]Angelina[/name], I’d associate the name with her, not the actress.

I love the name [name]Vivian[/name], by the way, and am very sorry that your aunt passed away. [name]Do[/name] you like Vivan as a first name?

Another name that could get you [name]Ange[/name] or, even [name]Gia[/name], is [name]Evangeline[/name]. From your list, I think that [name]Evangeline[/name] [name]Claire[/name] is really pretty!

[name]Lydia[/name] [name]Claire[/name]: Oh, I think this is gorgeous! If it’s only so-so to you and your husband though, it doesn’t sound like it’s the perfect name for you.

[name]Olivia[/name] [name]Meredith[/name]: I think that both names are very pretty. If popularity is an issue, though, [name]Olivia[/name] may not be the best choice on your list.

[name]Eliana[/name] [name]Brooke[/name]: I love [name]Eliana[/name], but from what I know (and according to Nameberry’s definition), [name]Eliana[/name] is a Hebrew name that isn’t related to [name]Helena[/name]. [name]Elena[/name] and [name]Eleanor[/name] are related to [name]Helena[/name], though. (I could be wrong, but I just checked on another site, and [name]Eliana[/name] wasn’t related to [name]Helena[/name] there, either.)

You may also like [name]Livia[/name] or [name]Lilia[/name], which sound close to [name]Lydia[/name] and [name]Olivia[/name].

I’m wondering if it’s possible that none of these names are the right name for you. On the off chance that this is the case, I thought I’d list some names you may like. (And if I’m wrong and you don’t want to see any more names, I apologize.)

If none of the above are the perfect name for you, there’s also:

[name]Amelia[/name]
[name]Annabel[/name]
[name]Annelise[/name]
[name]Anna[/name]
[name]Cora[/name]
[name]Celia[/name]
[name]Cecilia[/name]
[name]Clara[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name]
[name]Diana[/name]
[name]Evangeline[/name]
[name]Eleanor[/name]
[name]Eliza[/name]
[name]Emmeline[/name]
[name]Genevieve[/name] (nn [name]Evie[/name])
[name]Georgia[/name]
[name]Julia[/name]
[name]Lucy[/name]
[name]Louisa[/name]
[name]Miranda[/name]
[name]Rosalie[/name]
[name]Susannah[/name] (nn [name]Annie[/name])
[name]Stella[/name]
[name]Tessa[/name]
[name]Violet[/name]

Names that feel exotic to me like [name]Angelina[/name] and [name]Eliana[/name]:

[name]Aurora[/name]
[name]Arabella[/name]
[name]Camille[/name]
[name]Dahlia[/name]
[name]Evelina[/name]
[name]Francesca[/name]
[name]Juliana[/name]
[name]Liliana[/name]
[name]Lilia[/name]
[name]Seraphina[/name]
[name]Viviana[/name]

[name]Lydia[/name] [name]Claire[/name] is my favorite from your list, but I hope you choose the name that makes you happiest.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

Thank you all for your opinions! And [name]Jill[/name] thank you for your kind condolences about my aunt. As for [name]Eliana[/name], maybe I’m wrong, I’m not sure I just remember clicking a one of the lists on this site and it said other variations of [name]Helena[/name] or something like that and [name]Eliana[/name] was listed, but maybe I misread it or something. As far as the thought that maybe none of these names are for me, I kind of agree with that assessment although I’m not sure its just these names, I just feel that I can’t find the perfect name for my daughter like I did with my son, it’s just frustrating. But I really appreciate the fact that you listed other names, I’ll have to look over the with my husband. Thank you for everything!

[name]Hi[/name]! I went the International Variations of [name]Helen[/name] thread, and did see [name]Eliana[/name]! Cool! Maybe [name]Eliana[/name] means different things in different languages? Hmm…

I’m so sorry you’ve been having such a tough time choosing a name, and I hope you find the perfect name for you! ([name]Don[/name]'t worry–you’ll find it, and we’ll all have fun helping you.) :slight_smile:

Take care!

[name]Hi[/name] there. I love both [name]Lydia[/name] [name]Claire[/name] and [name]Eliana[/name] [name]Brooke[/name]. In my opinion I feel [name]Olivia[/name] is too popular and [name]Angelina[/name] does conjure up [name]Angelina[/name] [name]Jolie[/name], but if you love them that’s all that matters. But personally I prefer the two I mentioned. [name]Lydia[/name] [name]Claire[/name] is a total classic while [name]Eliana[/name] [name]Brooke[/name] is more exotic. They’re both totally different but both are beautiful. Good luck with whatever you decide!

[name]Lidia[/name] [name]Claire[/name] (like this spelling too - Italian) BEAUTIFUL!!
I also really love the name [name]Meredith[/name]. Have you thought of using that for a first name?

It seems from your post that [name]Angelina[/name] is your top name, but you are worried about the [name]Jolie[/name] association. I think that if you truly love this name and will be happy each time your hear it r say it to your daughter, this is the name to go for! Your other names are also beautiful, my favourite being [name]Olivia[/name], do you car about popularity? Also, I don’t thenk [name]Eliana[/name] is to unusual! I think it is very pretty and not long at all! If you can’t imagine this on your baby girl, how about a cute nn? Nicknames for [name]Eliana[/name] - [name]Lia[/name], [name]Ana[/name], [name]Annie[/name], [name]Ellie[/name], [name]Elia[/name] etc. Good luck!

[name]Angelina[/name] [name]Vivian[/name] - I love [name]Angeline[/name]/[name]Angelina[/name]! when you have the baby the [name]Jolie[/name] connotations will disappear! It will just be her name. I love [name]Vivi[/name] more than vivian and I love [name]Vivienne[/name] spelling.

[name]Lydia[/name] [name]Claire[/name] : [name]Lydia[/name] isn’t my favourite, but I like it for those who like it. [name]How[/name] about [name]Clara[/name], Clairesse, or [name]Clarette[/name]? [name]How[/name] about [name]Clara[/name] [name]Lydia[/name]? You could then use [name]Claire[/name] as a nn

[name]Olivia[/name] [name]Meredith[/name]- I love both these names as well as the combo and I would pick this over [name]Lydia[/name].

[name]Eliana[/name] [name]Brooke[/name]: I’m just not a fan, I agree with the cons.

I love [name]Angeline[/name] [name]Lydia[/name], [name]Vivienne[/name] [name]Claire[/name] and [name]Olivia[/name] [name]Meredith[/name]

I second pp’s suggestion of vivienne claire, I find it stunning!

Have you considered [name]Linnea[/name]? It sort of reminds me of a mix between [name]Lydia[/name] and [name]Eliana[/name]

I think you could absolutely name your daughter [name]Angelina[/name] - yes the [name]Jolie[/name] association is strong, but it’s just an association (and a pretty positive one at that!), I highly doubt people will think you used [name]Angelina[/name] [name]Jolie[/name] as a namesake.

I think, though, that if you were to use [name]Angelina[/name], you should maybe use a different middle name. I COMPLETELY understand your desire to honor your aunt, however [name]Angelina[/name] [name]Jolie[/name]'s youngest daughter is named [name]Vivienne[/name] and, in this way, the association becomes too close (this could just be me).

To sum up, I would use one or the other but if it doesn’t bother you [name]Angelina[/name] [name]Vivian[/name] certainly is beautiful

Wow, you have great taste in names!

I agree with [name]Maj[/name] (and hey, we have almost the same username :)) that the [name]Angelina[/name] [name]Jolie[/name] association isn’t too close with [name]Angelina[/name] used alone, but with [name]Vivian[/name] it starts to look a bit strange. [name]Angelina[/name] [name]Claire[/name] or [name]Angelina[/name] [name]Meredith[/name] might be better (although [name]Angelina[/name] [name]Meredith[/name] is a bit of a mouthful). If you want to use [name]Vivian[/name] as a mn, [name]Eliana[/name] [name]Vivian[/name] or [name]Meredith[/name] [name]Vivian[/name] are both really nice. I actually like [name]Eliana[/name] [name]Vivian[/name] a lot better than [name]Eliana[/name] [name]Brooke[/name]–[name]Brooke[/name] feels like one of those “filler” middle names that isn’t very special.

[name]Jill[/name] is right about the derivation of [name]Eliana[/name] (it’s Hebrew, all the [name]Helen[/name]-based names are Greek), but honestly, I think it’s justifiable to fudge it as an elaboration of [name]Elena[/name]. They’re close in sound and feel, and that may matter more to you in honoring your grandmother than the history and etymology. Or not, but I wouldn’t reject it as unworkable out of hand.

[name]Olivia[/name] [name]Meredith[/name] and [name]Lydia[/name] [name]Claire[/name] are both nice combos, definitely nothing wrong with them, but I think some combo of [name]Angelina[/name], [name]Vivian[/name], [name]Eliana[/name], and/or [name]Meredith[/name] would be most distinctive and best for honoring your relatives.

Good luck!

[name]Angelina[/name] is very pretty. With the middle name [name]Vivian[/name] as well however this does seem enhance the connection to her. Did you know one of her daughter’s names is [name]Vivienne[/name]?
[name]Evangeline[/name] is another suggestion. To me it has the same feel as [name]Angelina[/name]. Another actress, but she doesnt seem to be a favorite with the paparazzi…
[name]Lydia[/name] [name]Claire[/name] is perfect. Gorgeous name. I love the nn [name]Lydie[/name]…sounds french to me.
[name]Olivia[/name]. I love, love this name. I dont think I can get over the popularity though. If you can, this is a beautiful and classic name.

Great taste! Good luck (:

So, While I love all the names on your list, [name]Angelina[/name] [name]Vivian[/name] is the one I like the most…
[name]Lydia[/name] [name]Claire[/name] is pretty, but classic bordering on boring. I actually think she drags [name]Nicholas[/name] down, since I think of [name]Nicholas[/name] as somewhat exotic despite his popularity. He reminds me of [name]Russia[/name]/Eastern Europe, st. [name]Nicholas[/name], the nn [name]Nico[/name] or [name]Claus[/name]/[name]Klaus[/name], snow and ghostlike villages while [name]Lydia[/name] is just [name]Jane[/name] [name]Austen[/name] sweet with filler [name]Claire[/name] in the middle.
[name]Olivia[/name] [name]Meredith[/name] is my second favourite, but [name]Olivia[/name] is awfully popular and [name]Meredith[/name] is very heavy, so it’s a lot of name to carry.
[name]Eliana[/name] [name]Brooke[/name] has a very tryndee sound to it for some reason with the vowel heavy [name]Eliana[/name] and the ‘modern classic’ [name]Brooke[/name]. I also never liked [name]Brooke[/name] for some reason…

[name]Angelina[/name] [name]Vivian[/name] is [name]LOVELY[/name], but it does remind me a lot of Anglina [name]Jolie[/name], especially with [name]Vivian[/name] in the middle due to [name]Vivienne[/name]
I have a solution though, but you may not like it…
While [name]Angela[/name] is boring, [name]Angelica[/name] is too sugary sweet and [name]Angelina[/name] is [name]Jolie[/name], the ‘obscure’ form [name]Angelia[/name] is AWESOME and has no [name]Jolie[/name] ties at all which means you could keep the [name]Vivian[/name] middle name as well… (and you like names ending in -ia, you have both [name]Olivia[/name] and [name]Lydia[/name] on your list!)
Think about it: [name]Angelia[/name]. It’s just one letter less than [name]Angelina[/name] and the same amount of syllables but still a whole other name!
[name]Angelia[/name], [name]Angelia[/name], [name]Angelia[/name]. Not [name]Angelina[/name], but [name]Angelia[/name]!
[name]Lovely[/name] :slight_smile:

For the other ones I’d change [name]Claire[/name] to [name]Clara[/name] (nn [name]Claire[/name]), put [name]Meredith[/name] in the front or with something with less syllables, change [name]Eliana[/name] to [name]Elena[/name] or [name]Helena[/name]/[name]Helen[/name] to make it more classic and less of a mouthful and leave [name]Brooke[/name] out of the equation.
These sound lovely:
[name]Lydia[/name] [name]Meredith[/name]
[name]Clara[/name] [name]Olivia[/name] nn [name]Claire[/name]
[name]Elena[/name] [name]Vivian[/name]
[name]Clara[/name] [name]Vivian[/name] nn [name]Claire[/name]
[name]Meredith[/name] [name]Claire[/name]
[name]Elena[/name] [name]Meredith[/name]
[name]Helena[/name] [name]Claire[/name]
[name]Elena[/name] [name]Lydia[/name]
[name]Clara[/name] [name]Lydia[/name] nn [name]Claire[/name]
[name]Olivia[/name] [name]Helen[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name] [name]Helen[/name]

I’d still go with [name]Angelia[/name] [name]Vivian[/name] (or something else in the middle like [name]Angelia[/name] [name]Claire[/name] or [name]Angelia[/name] [name]Clara[/name])
^^

I think [name]Angelina[/name] has the best nn’s. I like it with [name]Nicholas[/name] too. This would be my choice.

Hmmm I did forget about [name]Angelina[/name] [name]Jolie[/name]'s daughter [name]Vivienne[/name], I just didn’t think that [name]Vivian[/name] well with my other choices so I put it with [name]Angelina[/name] and completely forgot. Thank you all for your advice though and I do like the suggestion of [name]Angelia[/name] that was mentioned, I’ll run that by my husband. I also like [name]Lydia[/name] [name]Meredith[/name] that was suggested, thank you. I know someone mentioned using [name]Meredith[/name] as a first name, which I would love to do but my husband’s name is [name]Matthew[/name] and mine is [name]Madeline[/name] (even though most people call me by my middle name [name]Cara[/name]) so I feel like adding another M first name would be too much, especially considering my mother’s name is [name]Meredith[/name] as well, but I don’t know I really do love [name]Meredith[/name] though, but then I also feel like [name]Nicholas[/name] would be left out of the “M” names.

lydia claire is the best.

I love [name]Lydia[/name] [name]Claire[/name]!! [name]How[/name] about [name]Lia[/name] as a nn?

[name]Angelina[/name] [name]Vivian[/name] - I prefer [name]Angelica[/name] to [name]Angelina[/name], but they’re both nice names. [name]Vivian[/name] I love! It’s so pretty.

[name]Lydia[/name] [name]Claire[/name] : You could use LC as a nickname (kinda like [name]Elsie[/name]…) I like the name but if your husband hates it, I don’t think you should use it.

[name]Olivia[/name] [name]Meredith[/name] - I really love [name]Livia[/name] [name]Meredith[/name]! [name]Meredith[/name] is such an amazing name! [name]Olivia[/name] is too popular and I think [name]Livia[/name] is much prettier anyway!

[name]Eliana[/name] [name]Brooke[/name]: I don’t like [name]Brooke[/name]. [name]Eliana[/name] is nice. What about [name]Liana[/name] or [name]Elina[/name]?

I prefer [name]Lydia[/name] to [name]Olivia[/name]! Good luck