Narrowing it Down

I definitely have less possible boys’ names than girls, but I still have too many. It would be greatly appreciated if you could say what you think of each name, and then give your top five. If you want you can do just one and not the other. Thanks so much! Here they are:

[name]August[/name] nn [name]Gus[/name]
[name]Clancy[/name]
[name]Declan[/name]
[name]Breccan[/name]
[name]Finn[/name]
[name]Tristan[/name]
[name]Heath[/name]
[name]Darcy[/name]
[name]Graeme[/name]
[name]Bennett[/name]
[name]Callum[/name]
[name]Valentine[/name]
[name]Grey[/name]
[name]William[/name] nn [name]Will[/name]
[name]Hart[/name]
[name]Simon[/name]
[name]Nicholas[/name]
[name]Jasper[/name]

[name]August[/name] nn [name]Gus[/name] - handsome and distinquished with a majestic air of authority.

[name]Clancy[/name] - I’m hearing this more on girls lately. It does sound spunky though.

[name]Declan[/name] - I’ve gone off this Irish saint name. I’ve heard it being used for girls with horrible spellings like [name]Declyn[/name]/Decklyn.

[name]Breccan[/name] - A little abrupt but it’s better and more unusual than [name]Declan[/name].

[name]Finn[/name] - I like most of the [name]Finn[/name] names but I prefer longer versions ([name]Finnegan[/name], [name]Finnian[/name], [name]Fintan[/name], [name]Fingal[/name]).

[name]Tristan[/name] - I find “softer” sounding boys name to be more appealing and that’s why I love [name]Tristan[/name].

[name]Heath[/name] - A strong nature name with a tragic legacy ([name]Heath[/name] Ledger and fictional [name]Heathcliff[/name])

[name]Darcy[/name] - a dark, brooding and romantic hero name. I’m thinking of you Mr [name]Darcy[/name] (aka [name]Colin[/name] [name]Firth[/name])

[name]Graeme[/name] - Not a fave but a solid choice.

[name]Bennett[/name] - This sounds just like another surname but it’s actually a medieval form of the name [name]Benedict[/name]. I like it a lot.

[name]Callum[/name]- I’m over this name. I used to like it until I kept hearing it everywhere.

[name]Valentine[/name] - Better as a quirky choice for a middle name.

[name]Grey[/name]- See [name]Valentine[/name].

[name]William[/name] nn [name]Will[/name] - I like [name]Will[/name] more than his full name but I know I’m in the minority here on Nameberry. This name gets a lot of love which accounts for its popularity.

[name]Hart[/name] - Not too crazy about the meaning “stag” but when I was younger I had a crush on Canadian-born actor [name]Hart[/name] Bochner so I have a soft spot for this name.

[name]Simon[/name] - A fine Biblical name that has become somewhat tainted of late (shame on you , [name]Simon[/name] Cowell).

[name]Nicholas[/name] - I prefer more exotic versions of this name: the Russian [name]Nikolai[/name] or just [name]Nico[/name]. There’s nothing wrong with [name]Nicholas[/name] though.

[name]Jasper[/name] - [name]Love[/name] the Three Wise Men connection. It has a lot going for it: a nature name and a place name ([name]Jasper[/name] National [name]Park[/name] in [name]Alberta[/name] [name]Canada[/name] is a gorgeous natural wonder of the world). I love the sound and look of the name!

Top Five:

[name]Jasper[/name]
[name]August[/name]
[name]Tristan[/name]
[name]Bennett[/name]
[name]Darcy[/name]

[name]August[/name] nn [name]Gus[/name] - there isn’t anything to dislike about this one. It has a sophisticated full name and a strong nickname.
[name]Clancy[/name] - ehh
[name]Declan[/name] - I love Irish names so I might be biased on this one. Thumbs up!
[name]Breccan[/name] - See above but it is my least favorite of the Irish names listed
[name]Finn[/name] - Another Irish name. I have loved this name for ever and am so mad it is now really popular. I do prefer the longer versions though with this as a nn.
[name]Tristan[/name] - Something about this names turns me off. I have the same feeling for [name]Brent[/name], [name]Brett[/name], [name]Brant[/name]. I feel like I should like it but something I can’t put my finger on stops me.
[name]Heath[/name] - Nice one syllable name. Thumbs up!
[name]Darcy[/name] - This is on my girls list as a name I really like. I don’t like it for a boy but that is just my preference.
[name]Graeme[/name] - I don’t like the spelling but I guess it depends on where you live.
[name]Bennett[/name] - Like it but don’t love it. This may be due to the fact that I have a friend with this last name.
[name]Callum[/name] - Irish again see above.
[name]Valentine[/name] - ehh
[name]Grey[/name] - [name]Love[/name] it but I’m worried of the popularity it will get with the unisex name [name]Greyson[/name]/[name]Grayson[/name]
[name]William[/name] nn [name]Will[/name] - Classic. Great name.
[name]Hart[/name] - ehh
[name]Simon[/name] - Classic. Great name.
[name]Nicholas[/name] - [name]Don[/name]'t like the nn [name]Nick[/name] but like it with the nn [name]Cole[/name]. Classic can’t go wrong.
[name]Jasper[/name] - Like but have a hard time picturing a kid with this name. Also too Twilighty for me.

Top 5
[name]August[/name] nn [name]Gus[/name]
[name]Declan[/name]
[name]Finn[/name]
[name]Simon[/name]
[name]Heath[/name]

It was hard picking because you have a lot of great names. Good [name]Luck[/name]!

[name]August[/name] is gorgeous but I think I prefer it as a middle name these days because I really dislike the nickname [name]Gus[/name].
[name]Clancy[/name] is more of a last name to me, and I think it sounds weak and feminine but that might be because it’s so close to [name]Nancy[/name].
[name]Declan[/name] is a favourite of mine, don’t love it enough to make my top 10 but I do think it’s gorgeous.
[name]Breccan[/name] is one I keep seeing more and more, maybe because of the popular -an ending for boy’s. It’s nice enough though.
[name]Finn[/name] is gorgeous but pretty popular right now with the whole Glee association. I slightly prefer [name]Finlay[/name] nn [name]Finn[/name].
[name]Tristan[/name] is lovely, and I’d consider this more if it weren’t on my friends list. Fits in with the popular boy’s names with that -an ending.
[name]Heath[/name] is too [name]Heath[/name] Ledger for me as I was a big fan of his. I can’t imagine [name]Heath[/name] being used [name]IRL[/name].
[name]Darcy[/name] is lovely but way too popular on girls in the UK (If all spellings were added together it would easily be top 50!)
[name]Graeme[/name] is an old man’s name in the UK, a baby named [name]Graeme[/name] would get some funny looks here.
[name]Bennett[/name] is great, it’s on my list but I’m just worried he’d end up being called [name]Ben[/name] all the time, which I dislike?!
[name]Callum[/name] is very popular and almost a little bit dated in the UK.
[name]Valentine[/name] would be a hard one to pull off, I think you need the right kinda guy and if your son isn’t that the name would be odd.
[name]Grey[/name] is fine but makes a better middle name.
[name]William[/name] is another handsome choice, but too traditional for me.
[name]Hart[/name] is a last name. I quite like [name]Hartley[/name].
[name]Simon[/name] is a middle aged man’s name too here, as a teacher I couldn’t ever imagine meeting a young [name]Simon[/name].
[name]Nicholas[/name] has never been a name I’ve liked.
[name]Jasper[/name] is lovely but seems like it will be one to jump in popularity.

Top 5…
[name]Bennett[/name]
[name]August[/name]
[name]Declan[/name]
[name]Darcy[/name]
[name]Tristan[/name]/[name]Finn[/name] (I can’t decide!)

Something like [name]Finlay[/name] [name]August[/name], [name]August[/name] [name]Jasper[/name] or [name]Bennett[/name] [name]Valentine[/name] would be lovely!

Tough choice…great list!

1. [name]Graeme[/name]
  2. [name]August[/name]
  3. [name]Darcy[/name]
  4. [name]Breccan[/name]
  5. [name]Callum[/name]

[name]Hart[/name] is a name I haven’t seen in years! I like it.

I also like [name]August[/name], [name]Jasper[/name], [name]Nicholas[/name], and [name]William[/name].

Haha! And thanks for your input. :slight_smile:

[name]August[/name]- [name]Love[/name] this name, it’s very mysterious and [name]Gus[/name] is a cute nm.
[name]Clancy[/name]- It has a snobbyish and girlyish air, and rhymes with [name]Fancy[/name].
[name]Declan[/name]- Adorable name.
[name]Breccan[/name]- Kind of brittle sounding, but maybe that’s just me.
[name]Finn[/name]- I absolutely love this name!
[name]Tristan[/name]- Not a fan. And it’s somewhat popular.
[name]Heath[/name]- Seems kind of outdated to me, rhymes with [name]Keith[/name].
[name]Darcy[/name]- [name]Love[/name] the name but Pride and Prejudice aside, it works better on a girl.
[name]Graeme[/name]- I prefer [name]Graham[/name].
[name]Bennett[/name]- Very classy and polished.
[name]Callum[/name]- [name]One[/name] of my favorites! Excellent name.
[name]Valentine[/name]- [name]Valentine[/name]'s [name]Day[/name] associations would make this name a little feminine, and could result in teasing for your child.
[name]Grey[/name]- I’ve always thought this name seemed somewhat morbid, plus [name]Grey[/name] is a gross color.
[name]William[/name]- Great name but [name]WAY[/name] too popular!
[name]Hart[/name]- See [name]Valentine[/name].
[name]Simon[/name]- I love this name. It sounds very smart.
[name]Nicholas[/name]- It’s just sooo overused.
[name]Jasper[/name]- Such a great choice.

[name]Bennett[/name], [name]August[/name], [name]Jasper[/name], [name]Callum[/name], [name]Finn[/name]

Top five: [name]Jasper[/name], [name]Simon[/name], [name]Graeme[/name], [name]August[/name] and [name]William[/name].

Top 5:

[name]August[/name]
[name]Finn[/name]
[name]Bennett[/name]
[name]Callum[/name]
[name]Nicholas[/name]

[name]August[/name] nn [name]Gus[/name] – [name]Love[/name] [name]August[/name]. It’s handsome and distinguished, but [name]Gus[/name] is just so old to me.
[name]Clancy[/name] – This seems really like a stuffy old British name.
[name]Declan[/name] – I like the sound, but I’m tired of seeing it. It is handsome though.
[name]Breccan[/name] – I love this one too. It’s very handsome and cool and I’ve only met one.
[name]Finn[/name] – So tired of seeing and hearing about this one. It’s nice, but boring to me.
[name]Tristan[/name] – I like it. Romantic and handsome.
[name]Heath[/name] – I like that it’s naturey, but I don’t like the sound.
[name]Darcy[/name] – [name]Love[/name] this on a boy! I think it’s handsome.
[name]Graeme[/name] – This isn’t my preferred spelling (unless you want the gray-um pronunciation) but I do love it.
[name]Bennett[/name] – Surnames aren’t my style. The only thing I really like about this one is the nn [name]Ben[/name].
[name]Callum[/name] – I just can’t like this one. I don’t know why, but I think it’s something about the sound.
[name]Valentine[/name] – While I like it and admire your boldness, I think it would be better for a middle.
[name]Grey[/name] – [name]Love[/name] it, handsome, better for a middle to me.
[name]William[/name] nn [name]Will[/name] – Handsome and regal.
[name]Hart[/name] – This is interesting. I think it’s sort of cool, like it for a middle.
[name]Simon[/name] – I adore this. I wish more people would use it. It’s handsome, intellectual sounding, and [name]Si[/name]/[name]Sim[/name] is a cool nickname.
[name]Nicholas[/name] – Overdone [name]IMO[/name]
[name]Jasper[/name] – I like it, but at the same time the sound annoys me for some reason.

My top 5:

1. [name]Simon[/name]
  2. [name]Breccan[/name]
  3. [name]August[/name]
  4. [name]William[/name]
  5. [name]Tristan[/name]

With [name]Graeme[/name] as the runner up.

My top 5 in order

1. [name]Hart[/name] - I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]LOVE[/name] [name]LOVE[/name] this name. It’s in my top 2.
  2. [name]Heath[/name] - swoon
  3. [name]Grey[/name] - super cool. I also love it on a girl.
  4. [name]Declan[/name]
  5. [name]Bennett[/name]

My favourites:

1. [name]Jasper[/name] - so spunky and fun and handsome at the same time! And it’s a gem stone for the boys…
  2. [name]Darcy[/name] - handsome and romantic. Mr [name]Darcy[/name]…
  3. [name]Finn[/name] - cute adoreable and epic.
  4. [name]William[/name] nn [name]Will[/name] - My boyfriend’s name, so I love it. It’s a classic!
  5. [name]Heath[/name] - You need to be wild with this name, a little wild.
  6. [name]Bennett[/name] - serious and stong.
  7. [name]Tristan[/name] - Romantic medieval hero, I’m a sucker for [name]Tristan[/name] and [name]Isolde[/name]. Very handsome.
  8. [name]Hart[/name] - Cool, I’ve never thought of this as a first name.

like:

[name]August[/name] nn [name]Gus[/name] - a fine name, handsome and a bit boring.
[name]Graeme[/name] - prefer [name]Graham[/name] by a thousand miles.
[name]Callum[/name] - a little hard, but it’s nice-
[name]Valentine[/name] - So romantic! Too romantic for my taste…
[name]Simon[/name] - Classic, handsome and a bit boring, but it will never go out of style.
[name]Nicholas[/name] - I really like [name]Nicholas[/name]. It almost made my top 8.
[name]Grey[/name] - I don’t care eitehr way on this name, it’s okay.

[name]Don[/name]'t like:
[name]Clancy[/name] - sounds clunky and silly.
[name]Declan[/name] - I don’t like this at all, it’s too hard for my taste.
[name]Breccan[/name] - Same as above.

[name]August[/name] nn [name]Gus[/name]- I like [name]August[/name], but I prefer other “[name]Gus[/name]” names. [name]Gustav[/name] is my favorite.
[name]Clancy[/name]- [name]Tom[/name] [name]Clancy[/name] novels bore all hell out of me.
[name]Declan[/name]- Never liked the sound of this name.
[name]Breccan[/name]- A little refreshing compared to [name]Declan[/name], but still not really a fan.
[name]Finn[/name]- I love this! Such a cute and playful name.
[name]Tristan[/name]- This works for me :slight_smile:
[name]Heath[/name]- I want to like [name]Heath[/name], but [name]Keith[/name] is one of the least attractive male names I can think of, and they rhyme.
[name]Darcy[/name]- Never really liked this. I see it too often on girls.
[name]Graeme[/name]- Preferable to [name]Grey[/name]. Maybe this with [name]Gray[/name] as a nn?
[name]Bennett[/name]- I liked this name for awhile, but it got boring to me.
[name]Callum[/name]- A really unattractive name, to me.
[name]Valentine[/name]- A bit cheesy, I think.
[name]Grey[/name]- A little dreary. Could work as a mn.
[name]William[/name] nn [name]Will[/name]- Classic and nice
[name]Hart[/name]- Not a fan at all.
[name]Simon[/name]- [name]One[/name] of my least favorite biblical names. It has an unsavory sound to me.
[name]Nicholas[/name]- A bit overdone in my region. It has gotten boring to me.
[name]Jasper[/name]- I like this name in sound and theory, but I have only ever seen it on villains in tv shows and movies.

Three I like…
[name]August[/name]
[name]Finn[/name]
[name]Tristan[/name]

Great names!!

1. [name]William[/name]
  2. [name]Simon[/name]
  3. [name]Finn[/name]
  4. [name]Heath[/name]
  5. [name]Graeme[/name]

[name]August[/name] nn [name]Gus[/name] - [name]Love[/name]. makes me think of [name]August[/name] [name]Rush[/name], and the way the movie awakens you to the possibilities of music all around you. Not a fan of the nickname [name]Gus[/name] though…makes me think of the fat mouse from [name]Cinderella[/name].
[name]Clancy[/name] - Not my favorite. [name]Tom[/name] [name]Clancy[/name] is an amazing author, if not my personal taste, but unless you’re a die-hard fan I would not choose this one because the association is so widespread.
[name]Declan[/name] - Charming, with a hint of ruggedness. My only note is that there is no legitimate meaning to this name.
[name]Breccan[/name] - I’m not a fan of the spelling; it sort of looks like [name]Rebecca[/name] scrambled. I prefer Bracken.
[name]Finn[/name] - Cute and spunky. Makes me think of [name]Tom[/name] [name]Sawyer[/name] and [name]Huckleberry[/name] [name]Finn[/name].
[name]Tristan[/name] - Another favorite, [name]Tristan[/name] and [name]Isolde[/name] is such an epic tale.
[name]Heath[/name] - Perhaps it’s the fact that I’ve just come off reading Wuthering Heights, but this is a no for me.
[name]Darcy[/name] - I’m torn. I’ve heard [name]Darcy[/name] on a girl before, but I do prefer it to [name]Clancy[/name] and there is the fabulous Mr. [name]Darcy[/name] from Pride and Prejudice.
[name]Graeme[/name] - I see pronunciation issues for this one. Grammy? [name]Graham[/name]? Graym? Hrm.
[name]Bennett[/name] - I feel sort of neutral towards this one. Not fabulous, but not an immediate veto either.
[name]Callum[/name] - I do like this one…in the same family as [name]Declan[/name], but with a more established history.
[name]Valentine[/name] - I’m a huge fan of [name]Vincent[/name] [name]Valentine[/name], but that is not enough to redeem this one for me. It’s going to be so widely associated with the [name]Cupid[/name] and hearts filled holiday that I fear he would never catch a break from the teasing.
[name]Grey[/name] - [name]Love[/name] this, but how do you feel about the Fifty Shades mania?
[name]William[/name] nn [name]Will[/name] - too traditional for my taste
[name]Hart[/name] - Not a fan…I’m not sure how to explain why, so I suppose it just comes down to personal taste
[name]Simon[/name] - A good solid name, and a great alternative to [name]Peter[/name]. Not my most favorite, but a strong choice.
[name]Nicholas[/name] - I have a soft spot in my heart for this name. I love the combination of sounds and the anticipatory feel that comes with the [name]Christmas[/name] associations
[name]Jasper[/name] - [name]LOVE[/name]. The rugged nature connection and classic vintage feel put this one at the top of the list for me!

Top five (in order of awesome):
[name]Jasper[/name]
[name]Nicholas[/name]
[name]Declan[/name] ([name]Callum[/name] may be more substantial, but I like the sound of [name]Declan[/name] better)
[name]Tristan[/name]
[name]August[/name]

[name]Declan[/name], [name]William[/name], [name]Simon[/name] & [name]Darcy[/name]

You’ve already gotten a lot of feedback so I’ll just list the order in which I most like your choices.
Top 5: [name]Tristan[/name], [name]Jasper[/name], [name]Heath[/name], [name]Finn[/name], [name]August[/name] (but I dislike nn [name]Gus[/name]). These are some of my favorites as well.

Middle 5: [name]Nicholas[/name], [name]William[/name] (especially with nn [name]Will[/name]), [name]Darcy[/name], [name]Bennett[/name], [name]Graeme[/name] (but spelled [name]Graham[/name]). I like these but I don’t love them.

Bottom 5: [name]Declan[/name], [name]Callum[/name], [name]Simon[/name], [name]Clancy[/name], [name]Breccan[/name]. None of these are my style, sorry.

(Like as middle names only: [name]Grey[/name], [name]Valentine[/name], [name]Hart[/name]. [name]Just[/name] don’t seem substantial enough as a first for a boy.) [name]Hope[/name] that helps! =]

You’ve already gotten a lot of feedback so I’ll just list the order in which I most like your choices.

Top 5: [name]Tristan[/name], [name]Jasper[/name], [name]Heath[/name], [name]Finn[/name], [name]August[/name] (but I dislike nn [name]Gus[/name]). These are some of my favorites as well.
Middle 5: [name]Nicholas[/name], [name]William[/name] (especially with nn [name]Will[/name]), [name]Darcy[/name], [name]Bennett[/name], [name]Graeme[/name] (but spelled [name]Graham[/name]). I like these but I don’t love them.
Bottom 5: [name]Declan[/name], [name]Callum[/name], [name]Simon[/name], [name]Clancy[/name], [name]Breccan[/name]. None of these are my style, sorry.

(Like as middle names only: [name]Grey[/name], [name]Valentine[/name], [name]Hart[/name]. [name]Just[/name] don’t seem substantial enough as a first for a boy.) [name]Hope[/name] that helps! =]

You’ve already gotten a lot of feedback so I’ll just list the order in which I would put your choices. [name]Hope[/name] this helps. =]

Top 5: [name]Tristan[/name], [name]Jasper[/name], [name]Heath[/name], [name]Finn[/name], [name]August[/name] (but I dislike nn [name]Gus[/name]). I love this list, some of these are my favorites as well.

As MN only: [name]Grey[/name], [name]Valentine[/name], [name]Hart[/name]. They just don’t seem substantial enough as a first for a boy.