Natalia

Hello!
What do you think of the name [name_f]Natalia[/name_f]? I think it sounds much nicer than [name_f]Natalie[/name_f] anyway. I don’t really know were it originates from because different websites say different things (some say it comes from [name_f]Italy[/name_f] and others say it’s of a Slavic origin). Are there any variations of the name? Is [name_f]Natalya[/name_f] better? [name_f]Do[/name_f] you know any nice nicknames for [name_f]Natalia[/name_f]? Please tell me!

I quite like [name_f]Natalia[/name_f] after watching the BBC adaptation of War and [name_u]Peace[/name_u] (I love [name_f]Lily[/name_f] [name_u]James[/name_u]), but I only like it as Na-[name_m]TAH[/name_m]-lee-ə. My favourite spelling is just as [name_f]Natalia[/name_f], and I think [name_f]Talia[/name_f] ([name_m]TAH[/name_m]-lee-ə) would make a great nickname!

Very pretty! I also like [name_f]Natalie[/name_f].

I like [name_f]Natalia[/name_f], and I think it has great nickname potential ([name_f]Talia[/name_f], [name_u]Nat[/name_u], [name_u]Tallie[/name_u], etc.)

[name_f]Natalia[/name_f] is alright but I think [name_f]Natalie[/name_f] is nicer.

I’ve always had a soft spot for [name_f]Natalia[/name_f] and [name_f]Natalie[/name_f], I know a lovely [name_f]Natalia[/name_f] which probably helps. It’s quite common actually in Spain where I’m living, most of them go by [name_f]Nati[/name_f] or [name_u]Nata[/name_u] but I think [name_u]Tally[/name_u] is such a sweet nickname too. [name_f]Natalya[/name_f] is the Russian spelling as far as I know while in Slavic and Latin countries it’s spelled [name_f]Natalia[/name_f]. If I met a [name_f]Natalia[/name_f] I’d assume her family was from one of those countries, too.

It’s pretty, and I’d love to use it in honor of my grandpa ([name_m]Natalino[/name_m]) who got that name in the first place because he was born on [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] [name_f]Eve[/name_f] and our Italian heritage, but I have such a hard time pronouncing it. It just doesn’t roll off the tongue for me. I tend to say it different ways each time I attempt to say it, usually [name_m]Nuh[/name_m]-tall-ya (with the ‘a’ in tall being like the ‘a’ in apple) where it just blends together or [name_m]Nuh[/name_m]-tall-yee-uh (same ‘a’ as before). I love the nicknames [name_u]Tali[/name_u] or [name_f]Talia[/name_f]/[name_f]Tahlia[/name_f], but someone in my family, who actually still lives in [name_f]Italy[/name_f], goes by the nn [name_f]Lia[/name_f].

Honestly, as far as spelling, I’d stick to [name_f]Natalia[/name_f]. I recently met a 5-year-old [name_f]Natalya[/name_f], but the spelling just looks made up and odd to me.

I like [name_f]Natalie[/name_f] and [name_f]Natalia[/name_f]! I’d use [name_f]Tilly[/name_f] as a nickname for [name_f]Natalie[/name_f], so could work for [name_f]Natalia[/name_f] too?

I have a friend named [name_f]Natalia[/name_f]. I definitely prefer it over [name_f]Natalie[/name_f]. I’d stick to the conventional spelling.

I’m not really a fan of nicknames that aren’t intuitive. Meaning, I don’t like [name_f]Talia[/name_f] as a nickname for [name_f]Natalia[/name_f]; I think you might as well just name her [name_f]Talia[/name_f]. I like [name_u]Nat[/name_u] because it makes the most sense and it’s usually not used as a name on its own. It’s the go-to short version of [name_f]Natalie[/name_f]/[name_f]Natalia[/name_f]/[name_m]Nathan[/name_m]/etc. I personally only like nicknames if they serve the function of shortening a long name. Which [name_f]Talia[/name_f] does, but only by one syllable—the first syllable—which seems counterintuitive.

I don’t know if that made any sense. (Sorry that most of my sentences start with ‘I’. I’m not a narcissist, promise.)

I really like [name_f]Natalia[/name_f]! I think [name_f]Natalie[/name_f] is nice, too, but [name_f]Natalia[/name_f] is a little more unique! :slight_smile:

I think [name_f]Natalia[/name_f] is much prettier than [name_f]Natalie[/name_f].

I really like [name_f]Natalia[/name_f], I find it to be a more elegant alternative to [name_f]Natalie[/name_f] (though I have little against [name_f]Natalie[/name_f]). I like the nickname [name_u]Tali[/name_u] or [name_m]Natty[/name_m], and for some reason I feel as though [name_f]Nina[/name_f] could even work as a nickname. I would love to hear of more baby [name_f]Natalia[/name_f]'s. I don’t mind other spellings, but I think [name_f]Natalia[/name_f] looks the best. Best of luck!

I much prefer [name_f]Natalia[/name_f] to [name_f]Natalie[/name_f] as well–[name_f]Natalie[/name_f] makes me think of gnats, and [name_f]Natalia[/name_f] sounds more sophisticated. I knew a [name_f]Natalia[/name_f] who was Russian, but with this spelling, not [name_f]Natalya[/name_f].

I really like the name [name_f]Natalia[/name_f]. [name_f]Natalia[/name_f] has so many nickname choices like [name_f]Talia[/name_f], [name_u]Tali[/name_u], and [name_u]Nat[/name_u]. I think [name_f]Natalia[/name_f] is more fresh and versatile over [name_f]Natalie[/name_f], but both as nice.

I think [name_f]Natalia[/name_f] is quite nice but a bit too popular for my taste. All Natalias I know went by [name_u]Nata[/name_u], [name_f]Natasha[/name_f] or [name_f]Tasha[/name_f]. It reminds me of [name_f]Natasha[/name_f] Rostova a little.

hi!

My name is [name_f]Natalia[/name_f]! I am Polish, and I absolutely love my name. However I must warn you, 90% of the time, no one gets it right. I will introduce myself as “[name_f]Natalia[/name_f]” to people and I will get reffered to as “[name_f]Natalie[/name_f]” almost immediately. it’s like people completely don’t here the difference at the end of the name. The other common mispronunciation I get often is “[name_u]Nat[/name_u]-a-lee-ah”, basically like they said “[name_f]Natalie[/name_f]” and then just added an “ah” at the end of it. I mostly go by [name_f]Talia[/name_f] because for some reason no one has difficulty pronouncing that! It is a beautiful name, I get a lot of compliments on it when people actually do say it correctly, but just something to think about when deciding between [name_f]Natalia[/name_f] and [name_f]Natalie[/name_f]. I just think the states are so much more used to hearing [name_f]Natalie[/name_f] that [name_f]Natalia[/name_f] often gets changed to it.

I think [name_f]Natalia[/name_f] is lovely, as is [name_f]Talia[/name_f]. The only nickname I can think of that I don’t think has been mentioned (and it’s not the most intuitive nickname so I’ll show my work) is [name_u]Sasha[/name_u]. My logic is: [name_f]Natalia[/name_f] --> [name_f]Natasha[/name_f] --> [name_u]Sasha[/name_u].

I prefer [name_f]Natalia[/name_f] to [name_f]Natalie[/name_f]. As far as spellings go, I think I slightly prefer [name_f]Natalia[/name_f] to [name_f]Natalya[/name_f], but I don’t think [name_f]Natalya[/name_f] looks made-up or kree8tiv. W/regard to nns, [name_f]Talia[/name_f] or [name_u]Tali[/name_u] would be my choices. [name_u]Nat[/name_u] reminds me of the annoying insects. :slight_smile:

I would spell it [name_f]Natalia[/name_f] definitely. I’ve always liked both of those names. I do believe it is of Russian descent.

grt thgks.