Need a middle name for Maude!

We’re set on the name Maude for our second daughter, due in a month, but I’m really stuck on the middle name. I like middle names with some sort of personal/family meaning, but none of the available options are really working. I’m finding that a one-syllable first name is hard to match with a middle! Her last name will begin with M so that also makes middles beginning with vowels hard.

Here are a few options and the issues with them:

Maude Colette (honors a Colin and my middle name, but wondering if it flows and if it’s too French!)
Maude Dorian (this honors a Dory and is musical, would love it except for the 2 Ds together)
Maude Florence (honors my grandmother and our Italian honeymoon, but seems like two old-timey names together, and does it flow?)
Maude Golden (honors a first date place + Dory, but more modern than our usual taste)
Maude Roberta (honors a Robert, but seems too old-timey)

Any thoughts/variations? I know it’s hard to come up with a “meaningful” name for someone you don’t know, but any advice would be appreciated!

3 Likes

Absolutely adore [name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_f]Colette[/name_f] !

4 Likes

[name_f]Maude[/name_f] is gorgeous!

[name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f] (means gold)
[name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_f]Amethyst[/name_f]
[name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_f]Gardenia[/name_f]
[name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_f]Claudine[/name_f]
[name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_f]Lavender[/name_f]
[name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_f]Florella[/name_f] (honor Florence)
[name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_f]Florina[/name_f] (honor Florence)
[name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_f]Birdie[/name_f] (honor Robert)
[name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_f]Bernadine[/name_f] (honor Robert)

1 Like

I really love [name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_f]Colette[/name_f]!

2 Likes

[name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_f]Colette[/name_f] is lovely - flows well and feels international rather than too [name_u]French[/name_u].

[name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_u]Florence[/name_u] is charming and lovely - to me, [name_u]Florence[/name_u] is modern vintage, so it doesn’t feel too stuffy.

[name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_u]Golden[/name_u] is fun and distinctive - unexpected and cool.

A few ideas:

[name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_f]Cressida[/name_f] (means gold)
[name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f] (means gold)
[name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_u]Robin[/name_u] (for Roberta)
[name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_f]Flora[/name_f] (maybe more fresh than Florence?)
[name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_f]Flower[/name_f] (see above)
[name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_f]Isadora[/name_f] (for Dory)
[name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_f]Coralie[/name_f] (a nod to [name_m]Colin[/name_m] and Dory)
[name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_f]Orla[/name_f] (means golden princess, has sounds of Dory)
[name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_f]Colleen[/name_f] (for Colin)
[name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_f]Linnea[/name_f] (from [name_m]Colin[/name_m], also a flower name, link to Florence)
[name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] (nod to Roberta)
[name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_u]Amory[/name_u] (nod to [name_u]Dory[/name_u], means love - general honour?)

1 Like

Congratulations!

[name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_f]Colette[/name_f] ~ oh very pretty! I love [name_f]Colette[/name_f] she’s just gorgeous and sophisticated sounds perfect with [name_f]Maude[/name_f]. Definitely not to [name_u]French[/name_u]. Would you consider [name_u]Collins[/name_u]? I think [name_u]Collins[/name_u] is a fun unisex choice would honour [name_m]Colin[/name_m] and feels unexpected with [name_f]Maude[/name_f].

[name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_u]Dorian[/name_u] ~ I’m not a massive fan of [name_u]Dorian[/name_u] with [name_f]Maude[/name_f] I also don’t really like [name_u]Dorian[/name_u] on a girl. Some ‘dory’ ideas could be [name_f]Adora[/name_f], [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f], [name_f]Theodora[/name_f] or [name_f]Dorothea[/name_f]. I love the idea of [name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_f]Adora[/name_f]!

[name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_u]Florence[/name_u] ~ stunning! [name_u]Florence[/name_u] is beautiful such a graceful, timeless choice. [name_u]Florence[/name_u] isn’t too old-timey the name is popular in the UK so for me has a rather staple vibe. [name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_u]Florence[/name_u] is lovely and I love the sentiment behind it. Could [name_u]Floris[/name_u], [name_u]Florentine[/name_u] or [name_f]Flora[/name_f] work for you? [name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_u]Florentine[/name_u] is sweet.

[name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_u]Golden[/name_u] ~ I like [name_u]Golden[/name_u] it’s fun, unexpected and joyous. [name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_u]Golden[/name_u] is a great combination. You could also choose names meaning gold or yellow maybe [name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f] or [name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_f]Xanthe[/name_f] would work.

[name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_f]Roberta[/name_f] ~ I’m not keen on [name_f]Roberta[/name_f] I find her a bit stodgy especially paired with [name_f]Maude[/name_f]. Could [name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_u]Robin[/name_u] work instead? [name_u]Robin[/name_u] could honour [name_u]Robert[/name_u] but feels fresher.

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps

[name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_f]Roberta[/name_f] is fabulous :cherry_blossom:

You guys are so sweet/smart! I wish I could give you my entire life story to find other potential options! But feeling better about some of my existing options and loving some of these new ideas.

1 Like

Congratulations! I’m so excited to hear there will be a baby [name_f]Maude[/name_f]!

Maybe…

-Maude [name_f]Goldie[/name_f] (variation/nickname of Golden)
-Maude [name_f]Birdie[/name_f] (nickname for Roberta)
-Maude [name_f]Flora[/name_f] (like [name_u]Florence[/name_u], but more of a modern feel)
-Maude [name_f]Doris[/name_f] (like Dory)

[name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_f]Colette[/name_f] and [name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_u]Florence[/name_u] are both SO pretty!!! I love them both!

I really like [name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_f]Colette[/name_f] or [name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_u]Florence[/name_u], both have a better flow and neither of them sound too [name_u]French[/name_u] for me, imo.

I love [name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_f]Colette[/name_f]! I think it flows well and doesn’t strike me as overly [name_u]French[/name_u]. I also really like [name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_u]Florence[/name_u].

What about [name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_u]Florian[/name_u]? To me it flows a little better than [name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_u]Florence[/name_u] while still keeping the significance of [name_u]Florence[/name_u]. [name_u]Florian[/name_u] is traditionally masculine but has the same unisex feel of [name_u]Dorian[/name_u], plus could represent the ideas behind both names!

Some other ideas:
[name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f] (gold meaning)
[name_f]Maude[/name_f] Goldie/Golda
[name_f]Maude[/name_f] Dorothy/Dorothea (Dory honor)
[name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_f]Isadora[/name_f] (Dory)
[name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_u]Aria[/name_u] (music related)
[name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_u]Robin[/name_u] (Robert honor)
[name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_f]Birdie[/name_f] (Robert)

[name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_f]Colette[/name_f] looks great on paper, but I don’t like the sound as well.

[name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_u]Dorian[/name_u], a lot of D’s.

[name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_u]Florence[/name_u] is fine. What about [name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_f]Robbia[/name_f]?

[name_f]Maude[/name_f] is my single unchallenged favorite from the early 20th/late 19th century. So beautiful to see it being considered here, in 2022, by a brand new family :slight_smile:

Of your chosen middle names so far I like [name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_f]Colette[/name_f], [name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_u]Dorian[/name_u], and [name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_u]Florence[/name_u] the best. The only thing I would change about any of these would maybe be to switch around the first and middle of [name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_u]Dorian[/name_u] since I think [name_u]Dorian[/name_u] [name_f]Maude[/name_f] sounds a lot more fluid.

Other nice middle names to go with [name_f]Maude[/name_f]:
[name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_u]Eden[/name_u] / [name_u]Eden[/name_u] [name_f]Maude[/name_f]
[name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_f]Amorie[/name_f]
[name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_f]Giselle[/name_f]
[name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_f]Eveline[/name_f]
[name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_f]Romola[/name_f]
[name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_f]Arianwen[/name_f]
[name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_f]Calantha[/name_f]
[name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_f]Johanna[/name_f]
[name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_f]Augusta[/name_f]
[name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_f]Lucilla[/name_f] / [name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_f]Lucila[/name_f]
[name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_f]Elsbeth[/name_f]
[name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_u]Ellis[/name_u]
[name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_f]Felicity[/name_f]
[name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_f]Blanche[/name_f]
[name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f]
[name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_u]Nicola[/name_u]

Of your options, [name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_f]Roberta[/name_f] is my favourite by a long way. [name_f][/name_f] I don’t like a huge amount of feminisations but I love [name_f]Roberta[/name_f] [name_f][/name_f]- it’s spunky yet feminine.

how about [name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_f]Clementine[/name_f]? :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I love [name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_f]Colette[/name_f] and [name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_u]Florence[/name_u]. I love the suggestion of [name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f] and [name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_u]Collins[/name_u]. [name_f][/name_f] [name_u]Collins[/name_u] has been a favorite of mine forever so I am partial to that name.

[name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_f]Roberta[/name_f] & [name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_f]Colette[/name_f] are my favorites.

[name_f][/name_f]

Other ideas:

[name_f][/name_f]

[name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_f]Dorothea[/name_f]
[name_f][/name_f][name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_f]Coraline[/name_f]
[name_f][/name_f][name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_f]Lisette[/name_f]
[name_f][/name_f][name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_f]Fiona[/name_f]
[name_f][/name_f][name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] (guessing that might have some meaning based on your username?)

[name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_f]Colette[/name_f] is wonderful.

[name_u]Love[/name_u] all this feedback. [name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_u]Florence[/name_u] was my first instinct and this is giving me more confidence to go for it. (I quite like [name_u]Florentine[/name_u], too, though it does call the cookie to mind for me!) I think [name_u]Collins[/name_u] is also a great suggestion – or in that case maybe I could just literally go with [name_m]Colin[/name_m].

And @Sadie307 I wish I could use [name_f]Louisette[/name_f], which is my middle name (after my great-grandmother), but I already used it as the middle for my first!

1 Like