Need a name for Baby #4

Hello! [name_u]New[/name_u] to the site but we are really striking out with names for our baby that’s only due in 4 days! Boy names were easy for us but the girl names have been really difficult.
In our family so far we have
[name_u]Edward[/name_u] [name_u]Michael[/name_u] (xxx-xxx) (two syllables, flows nicely)
[name_f]Elise[/name_f] [name_u]Marie[/name_u]
[name_m]Philip[/name_m] [name_m]Samuel[/name_m]

If I had to define my criteria I like older style names, classic but not currently overused. I would say [name_f]Elise[/name_f] is obviously our most “current” name but it’s still got an older vibe to it. So far our top picks are:
[name_f]Margaret[/name_f] (I love it, but my husband is against it as it is his grandmother’s name. We were decided on it originally but he changed his mind once he realized the connection-- she went by her middle name her whole life so it took us a minute to remember. He also says there are ‘too many family names’ because [name_u]Edward[/name_u] was named after his grandfather)

[name_f]Suzanne[/name_f] (my grandmother’s name. I wanted [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] [name_f]Suzanne[/name_f] but husband now is not into [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] and says he doesn’t like saying [name_f]Suzie[/name_f] or [name_f]Suzanne[/name_f] as a first name)

Gretchen/Greta (cool, but I don’t know if I can pull the trigger on it. Also feels slightly ‘out there’ compared to the others)

[name_f]Emily[/name_f] (his pick, I’d like to avoid another E name to keep [name_m]Philip[/name_m] on his own)

[name_f]Madeline[/name_f] (I love it but it’s very overused compared to the others. I had an uncommon name growing up [Bridget] and I really appreciated not having 5 other kids in my class with the same name)

Help a girl out!!!

1 Like

[name_f]Margaret[/name_f] is by far my favorite out of your options. I agree I would not use [name_f]Emily[/name_f] as it is another E, nor [name_f]Madeline[/name_f] since both are so popular. [name_f]Suzanne[/name_f] does not seem to have much style or flare to it like the other names, I would compare to it a [name_m]Bob[/name_m]. Personally, I really do not like [name_f]Gretchen[/name_f]. It feels too “witch/old lady like”, and not the cool, vintage style trend like the others. [name_f]Greta[/name_f] is a bit better.

Some suggestions I have would be:
[name_f]Amelia[/name_f], [name_f]Nancy[/name_f], [name_f]Caroline[/name_f], [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f], [name_f]Josephine[/name_f], [name_f]Clara[/name_f], [name_f]Jacqueline[/name_f], [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f], [name_f]Audrey[/name_f], [name_f]Iris[/name_f], [name_f]Frances[/name_f], [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f], [name_f]Mabel[/name_f], [name_f]Alice[/name_f], and [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f].

1 Like

Gretchen is my fav from ur list! I’m not quite sure why I love it so much, but it is just a quite cute name and it blends in well with your other children names :).

since the baby is close to being due, I am not going to give a long list of names, but here is one of my top choices:

Adeline: I think adeline would be a cute alternate to Madeline, as it is less conmon name than Madeline.

good luck!!

I kind of am into matching and so I would consider “P” names to even out your brood like [name_f]Pearl[/name_f], [name_f]Patience[/name_f], or [name_u]Penny[/name_u]. I’d also check out S for a middle. You could even do [name_f]Peggy[/name_f] [name_f]Suzanne[/name_f] and still hit your honor names. [name_m]Just[/name_m] a thought! I love lots of names so I like frameworks to work within :slight_smile:

3 Likes

[name_f]My[/name_f] favourite is [name_f]Madeline[/name_f], but I agree that it is more common than the others, as is [name_f]Emily[/name_f]. Because of that, I think [name_f]Greta[/name_f] has my vote. It is familiar, but not too popular, and it is quite sweet. I think it fits well with your other children, and it doesn’t seem too “out there”. [name_f]Greta[/name_f] [name_f]Madeline[/name_f] or [name_f]Greta[/name_f] [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] would be cute combos, or maybe [name_f]Greta[/name_f] [name_f]Emily[/name_f].
If you really love [name_f]Margaret[/name_f], though, would your husband perhaps prefer it if it had a nickname? There are so many options, but I think the ones that sound the most youthful and fitting for a child are [name_f]Maggie[/name_f], [name_f]Maisie[/name_f], and [name_f]Margot[/name_f] (Margot would also be a cute full name). You could also use [name_f]Greta[/name_f] as a nickname; it might be a nice way to convince your husband about [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] and use [name_f]Greta[/name_f] without committing to it as a full name.

1 Like

Interesting thought on the matching! I’m curious, why would you go with a “hard P” name over and “F sounding” name? [name_m]Just[/name_m] wondering. :slight_smile:

We should be friends in real life, I have tried my best to convince my husband of all of these reasons to go with [name_f]Margaret[/name_f]! I love [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] as a nickname and have thrown out all sorts of variants on it.

1 Like

I think it’s be cool to do a initial of PS to match with the sibset. [name_f]Suzanne[/name_f] makes for a great middle option.

[name_f]Penelope[/name_f] [name_f]Suzanne[/name_f]
[name_f]Polly[/name_f] [name_f]Suzanne[/name_f]
[name_f]Primrose[/name_f] [name_f]Suzanne[/name_f]

1 Like

Interesting thought. You could certainly do [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] or [name_u]Phoenix[/name_u] (although I don’t get the sense you’d love the latter). But I tend to just worry about shared initials more than if it’s a hard or soft sound. I actually take it as a positive all my kids will have different vowel sounds following their shared initial.

[name_u]Penny[/name_u] is super cute but unfortunately we have a family member (cousin of the same generation) with the name already! Same with a few others on here actually. We both have fairly large families and that is a hurdle we run into pretty frequently.

I like [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] the most from your list.

Other suggestions:
[name_f]Harriet[/name_f]
[name_f]Paige[/name_f]
[name_f]Sosie[/name_f]- variation of Susan/Suzanne but maybe a little too out there for you.
[name_f]Hannah[/name_f]
[name_f]Katherine[/name_f]
[name_u]Kay[/name_u]
[name_f]Kate[/name_f]
[name_f]Sylvie[/name_f]
[name_f]Claire[/name_f]
[name_f]Lorraine[/name_f]
[name_f]Dahlia[/name_f]
[name_f]Maeve[/name_f]

1 Like

[name_f]Pretty[/name_f] sure almost every one of these came up at some point as a good strong “maybe”! A few snags we run into are repeats within the close extended family though and I love [name_f]Alice[/name_f] but it is very close to [name_f]Elise[/name_f]

welcome! would the [name_f]Margot[/name_f] spelling be any different? I really like [name_f]Greta[/name_f] with your sibling set! I adore the rest of your name choices, good job!
[name_f]Clara[/name_f]
[name_f]Nora[/name_f]
[name_f]Josephine[/name_f]
[name_f]Ida[/name_f]
Elinor/Eleanor
Rosalie/Rosalind
Maud/e
[name_f]Harriet[/name_f]
[name_f]Jane[/name_f]
[name_f]Mildred[/name_f]
any repeats count as a second vote!

Finding names you both like is so hard
I like [name_f]Greta[/name_f], I dont think shes too out there

Some ideas - (count any repeats as seconding)
[name_f]Susannah[/name_f] nn [name_u]Sunny[/name_u]
[name_f]Faye[/name_f]
[name_f]Julia[/name_f]
[name_f]Martha[/name_f]
[name_u]Anne[/name_u] / [name_f]Annie[/name_f]
[name_f]Bethany[/name_f]
[name_f]Madelief[/name_f] instead of [name_f]Madeline[/name_f]?
[name_f]Frida[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f]
[name_f]Josephine[/name_f]

I tried very hard for [name_f]Mildred[/name_f] (Millie) at one point too but he says he can’t get past the “dread” part of it :roll_eyes:

1 Like

[name_f]Ann[/name_f] is actually the name the grandmother went by. This is such a hard process with our families :sweat_smile:

What about [name_f]Milicent[/name_f] or [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] for nickname [name_f]Millie[/name_f]? [name_u]Or[/name_u] [name_u]Camille[/name_u].

If Margaret’s not right, how about [name_f]Megan[/name_f]? I think it would be so sweet on a baby. I don’t care for [name_f]Gretchen[/name_f] but really like [name_f]Greta[/name_f]. I’d love it if it weren’t regrettably close to regrettable :confused:

Other ideas:
[name_f]Danielle[/name_f]- I love this with [name_f]Elise[/name_f]
[name_f]Sarah[/name_f]
[name_f]Maisie[/name_f]
[name_f]Chloe[/name_f]
[name_f]Nora[/name_f]
[name_f]Juliet[/name_f]

[name_f]Lydia[/name_f] goes well with [name_f]Elise[/name_f].
[name_f]Lydia[/name_f] [name_f]Margaret[/name_f]

1 Like

I have to say, everyone is doing so well with picking names I love but he can’t get into! [name_f]Danielle[/name_f] was a top pick of mine but there was an old high school girlfriend he can’t unthink of!

1 Like

I LOVE [name_f]Greta[/name_f] and [name_f]Gretchen[/name_f]! I wouldn’t say they are out there at all and personally I think you should go for it. But if you really can’t then maybe you’d like:
[name_f]Ada[/name_f]
[name_f]Hattie[/name_f]
[name_u]Josie[/name_u]
[name_f]Winifred[/name_f]
[name_f]Calla[/name_f]
[name_f]Bronwyn[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]

1 Like