Need advice for baby due in 9 days

I have posted here several times before and have gotten great advice, but my husband and I are still struggling for a name for our first child due next week. Our favorites are as follows:

[name]Adelaide[/name] (family name on my side; might be my favorite)
[name]Annika[/name] (my husband’s name is [name]Kevin[/name] and feels an affinity for the “k” sound)
[name]Eliza[/name]
[name]Amelia[/name]

Her middle name will be either [name]Rush[/name] or [name]Margaret[/name] to honor my grandmother.

My concerns are as follows - does [name]Adelaide[/name] sound too youthful? My husband says that he can’t picture a grown-up [name]Adelaide[/name]. Also, I am not a fan of the nickname [name]Addie[/name] for our family - primarily because our niece goes by [name]Gabby[/name] and that sounds too similar. I do think [name]Laidey[/name] and [name]Didi[/name] are very cute - but again, that doesn’t help my husband picture our daughter as a professional adult. [name]Annika[/name] I only like if pronouced [name]Anne[/name]-icka…like [name]Annie[/name], even though I know that isn’t the traditional pronounciation. Is that too “you-neek”? Also does the name [name]Annika[/name] feel a little cheesy to anyone? (I’m sorry for the negative term but I don’t know how else to put it) I think I like more traditional American names and I am concerned that [name]Annika[/name] may be too exotic. [name]Eliza[/name] is beautiful and we haven’t had any complaints about it, but it also seems to always be our back-up choice for some reason. [name]Amelia[/name] was one of my favorites originally, but I took it off the list because “amelia” is also an unfortuate medical term. But now I can’t stop thinking about the name. I think I really love it, but I have such mixed feelings about using it because of the secondary meaning.

I would love any advice and/or suggestions. My head is spinning and I am getting very anxious about not being able to decide on the right name for our little girl and then just going with something that I will regret later… Also, those of you who have children already - if you didn’t have a name chosen, did it help to see your baby before choosing a name?

Thank you so much for any help you can give us.

My thoughts:
When I had my daughter, we had two names picked out and she really did look more like [name]Gwendolyn[/name] than our other name. Of course I don’t know what we would have done if I thought she looked like one name and DH thought the other - hopefully the one who just gave birth gets precedence! :smiley:

[name]Adelaide[/name] - I don’t see this as too juvenile at all. But if you don’t care for [name]Addie[/name], then I agree the other nn are very young sounding. Maybe [name]Della[/name]? It just doesn’t sound like this one is working for you.
[name]Annika[/name] - I naturally pronounce this as Ahn rather than [name]Anne[/name], but I bet a lot of people do say [name]Anne[/name]. I don’t think it’s cheesy or anything, it’s very recognizable I think. [name]Annie[/name] is adorable!
[name]Eliza[/name] - I know what you mean about this feeling like it’s always the back up. I think [name]Eliza[/name] is lovely but it should feel like a front runner to you
[name]Amelia[/name] - I love [name]Amelia[/name]. [name]Amelia[/name] [name]Margaret[/name] is beautiful!

I like [name]Adelaide[/name] and [name]Annika[/name] equally. I also probounce [name]Annika[/name] like [name]Ann[/name]-ika. I first heard it as a child on ‘The Adventures of [name]Pippi[/name] Longstocking’ and have loved it ever since. That’s how I have always heard [name]Annika[/name] Sorrenstam’s (sp?) name pronounced. I don’t think it is cheesy or trendy sounding at all. But to me, [name]Annika[/name] sounds as youthful as [name]Adelaide[/name] so I’m not sure that point is valid. I like…

[name]Adelaide[/name] [name]Rush[/name]
or
[name]Annika[/name] [name]Margaret[/name]

I love your list of names! :slight_smile: My favorite is [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Margaret[/name]…what a classic, spunky, not too unique name!

From your list, I love [name]Adelaide[/name], [name]Eliza[/name] and [name]Amelia[/name]. I’m not too crazy about [name]Annika[/name] (eg. I know it’s a Scandinavian name but to my [name]North[/name] American eyes it looks like two names, [name]Ann[/name] and [name]Erika[/name], pushed together). What about [name]Annette[/name], [name]Annora[/name], [name]Anais[/name] or [name]Anya[/name]? [name]Adelaide[/name] is a vintage classic that can be used for a little girl or grown woman. Other options are [name]Adela[/name], [name]Adele[/name], [name]Adeline[/name] or [name]Ada[/name]. Some Adelaides have the nickname of [name]Heidi[/name]. [name]Eliza[/name] is short and spirited and a nickname for [name]Elizabeth[/name]. What about [name]Elsa[/name], [name]Ailsa[/name] or Lilybeth? I have a soft spot for [name]Amelia[/name] so I love this choice. I do agree with Gwensmom that [name]Amelia[/name] [name]Margaret[/name] sounds pretty! Here are some other suggestions for you to consider.
[name]Cecily[/name]
[name]Angelica[/name]
[name]Flora[/name]
[name]Juliet[/name]
[name]Helena[/name]
[name]Louisa[/name]
[name]Estella[/name]
[name]Celeste[/name]
[name]Viola[/name]
[name]Clarice[/name]
[name]Beatrice[/name]
[name]Dorothea[/name]
[name]Phoebe[/name]
[name]Cordelia[/name]
[name]Aurelia[/name]
[name]Eloise[/name]
[name]Penelope[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name]
[name]Matilda[/name]
[name]Ivy[/name]
[name]Caroline[/name]
[name]Arabella[/name]
[name]Miranda[/name]
[name]Constance[/name]
[name]Felicity[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Camille[/name]
[name]Simone[/name]
[name]Delphine[/name]
[name]Nathalie[/name]
[name]Lucia[/name]
[name]Ophelia[/name]
[name]Rosalind[/name]
[name]Eleanor[/name]

[name]Adelaide[/name] - I like this name, although I too do not like the nn [name]Addie[/name]
[name]Annika[/name] - I agree with gwensmom on this - I would naturally pronounce it Ahn-ika - but I still think it is a beautiful name.
[name]Eliza[/name] - Not a big fan of this one
[name]Amelia[/name] - I love this name and had no idea it was a medical term.

My favorites:
[name]Annika[/name] [name]Margaret[/name]
[name]Amelia[/name] [name]Margaret[/name]

Good luck and Congrats!

I think you should definitely go with [name]Adelaide[/name]. It sounds like it’s your favorite and it’s a really great name. The fact that it honors family is icing on the cake. I don’t at all see [name]Adelaide[/name] as youthful or inappropriate on an adule, though I could see wh someone might feel that way about nickname [name]Addie[/name]. [name]Adelaide[/name] could go by [name]Adele[/name] for short, which is classy and elegant, or [name]Ada[/name] which sounds sort of vintage chic. Either work great for any age, imo.

[name]Adelaide[/name] is by far my favorite! I don’t think it sounds too youthful at all–[name]Adelaide[/name] is a very professional and sophisticated name for a woman. I’m not a fan of [name]Addie[/name] either, so I would go with [name]Adele[/name], [name]Della[/name] or Lady when she is younger.
I’m not loving the others on your list because I really like [name]Adelaide[/name] for you. [name]Eliza[/name] would be my second choice. but it feels bland and lacks personality in my opinion. [name]Annika[/name] is ok–I pronounce it [name]Anne[/name]-icka also but I know that the correct Scandinavian pronunciation is Ahn-icka, so you may have some pronunciation issues. Besides, this is the name off your list that I can’t see on a mature adult. Any [name]Ann[/name]- name always sound a bit juvenile to me. I can only think of ‘[name]Annie[/name]’ which I hate. I used to like [name]Amelia[/name] years ago before it became megapopular, but now it seems so overused that it’s not special anymore. It really lost its lustre for me. I would say go with [name]Adelaide[/name] [name]Rush[/name]! That’s so pretty!

Thank you so much for all of the opinions and advice!

I agree with almost every post as I read it, which is probably why I am having so much trouble in the first place - because I keep changing my mind. I do appreciate the thoughts on [name]Adelaide[/name] being youthful vs mature. And I really like the [name]Heidi[/name] option as a nn! As well as the [name]Adele[/name] suggestion for a grown-up. But then again - I just loved the [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Margaret[/name] suggestion (I don’t think I’d seen it written out before) and [name]Amelia[/name] [name]Margaret[/name] flows beautifully to my ears. [name]Annika[/name] is probably my least favorite (it reminds me of [name]Mikayla[/name] for some reason), but I love that my husband picked it out and that he feels a connection to it because of the “k” sound in both of their names.

Hopefully it will become clear when I meet her - but I am feeling better about my choices.

Thank you!

[name]Hi[/name]! I just wanted to say that I pronounce [name]Annika[/name] as [name]Ann[/name]-ika, and I’m Swedish :wink: I’ve never ever heard anyone pronounce it like Ahn-ika, in that case it would have been spelled [name]Anika[/name]. I’m not a big fan of that name myself, because it belongs to the wrong generation (it’s a sixties- name here, but that won’t be an issue for you so please ignore me (: ) Very cute though.

So, now I’m done being a besser-wisser and just wanted to say that you have a beautiful name list! I adore the name [name]Adelaide[/name] (which would be impossible to use here, such a shame) and [name]Eliza[/name] (ditto). [name]Amelia[/name] is beautiful as well! I understand that it is difficult to choose when you’re chosing between such amazing names!

[name]Amelia[/name] [name]Margaret[/name]
[name]Adelaide[/name] [name]Margaret[/name]
[name]Eliza[/name] [name]Margaret[/name]
[name]Annika[/name] [name]Margaret[/name] (I prefer [name]Margaret[/name], I find it to be very classy!)

[name]Eliza[/name] [name]Margaret[/name] is my favourite for you, it seems just perfect. Beautiful and classy. [name]Amelia[/name] [name]Margaret[/name] would be my second choice, even though i love [name]Adelaide[/name], but [name]Adelaide[/name] [name]Margaret[/name] does’nt have the same flow as the previous ones.

Best of luck! (: