Need Fancy Victorian Names

I need fancy victorian names, first names and surnames, for young ladies of good standing at an elite finishing school in New Hampshire in 1856.
I also need names for people, men and women, first names and surnames, out in [name]California[/name] in 1864. This is after the [name]Gold[/name] [name]Rush[/name] when the gold is beoming scarce.

Hmmm…I’m afraid I can’t be of much help concerning the [name]Gold[/name] [name]Rush[/name], but I love the Victorians! Traditional names such as [name]William[/name], [name]James[/name], [name]Katherine[/name], ect. were big. I’ll link you to an article about that: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~poindexterfamily/OldNames.html

And just for kicks, here’s a FANTASTIC Victorian name generator (I adore this site): Victorian & Steampunk Name Generator

[name]Hope[/name] that helped! :slight_smile:

Thank you so much, heimarmene!
P.S. Cool profile picture!

Victorian names in New Hampshire would be decidedly different from English Victorian names. In the 1850’s in New [name]England[/name] there was still the influence of the Quaker and Puritan names. Along with Biblical names and plain [name]Christian[/name] names, there was a resurgence of [name]Greco[/name]-[name]Roman[/name] names as well. For example, in my own family there was a [name]Parthenia[/name], [name]Eleanor[/name], [name]Edith[/name], [name]Mildred[/name], [name]Margaret[/name], [name]Jane[/name], [name]Irene[/name], [name]Louisa[/name], [name]Helen[/name], [name]Lina[/name], and [name]Sophia[/name]. In my family, male names were [name]Charles[/name] [name]Edward[/name], [name]Philip[/name], [name]Waldo[/name], [name]Bertram[/name], [name]Louis[/name], [name]George[/name], Wadsworth, [name]Henry[/name], Cushman, Altheus, [name]Thomas[/name], [name]Irving[/name], [name]William[/name], [name]Herbert[/name], [name]Alfred[/name], and [name]Dow[/name].

Squeeee! Excited about this… I’m biased, though, as the mid-1800s [name]Wild[/name] [name]West[/name]/[name]Americana[/name] sub-genre is one of my all-time faves!

I don’t really have any Victorian suggestions for you, although if I flip through some Regency romances I might find a nugget or five for you. [name]Isobel[/name], [name]Eleanor[/name], [name]Annabel[/name], [name]Lucinda[/name], [name]Daphne[/name], [name]Claire[/name] and [name]Maria[/name] seem to fit. Not sure if that’s what you’re looking for (and those were just the names of the heroines in the first few romances I picked up, just at random.)

As for the 1860s in [name]California[/name], I really think anything goes. Again, from a romance perspective, (and as cowboys are my favorite romances to read about), I’ve seen male and female names run the gambit. For women I’ve seen [name]Honor[/name], [name]Willow[/name] and [name]Mercy[/name]; [name]Mary[/name], [name]Katherine[/name] and [name]Dorothy[/name]. For men, [name]Jack[/name], [name]Chase[/name] and [name]Colton[/name]; [name]Lucas[/name], [name]Vernon[/name], and [name]William[/name]. Not sure if that helps, but hopefully it gives you some fodder to chew on!

And thanks, Heimarmene, for the name generator!

Thank you!!!

Check out this blog for ideas: http://www.babynamesfromyesteryear.com

Their Victorian entries from the Gentleman’s magazine marriage announcements, while British, may still be a source of inspiration for you: UNIQUE BOY NAMES

If you have the patience to decipher old hand-written records, http://www.censusfinder.com/california.htm will allow you to search records of births, deaths, and marriages in your chosen year by state and county. A time-consuming task, but historically accurate.

[name]Happy[/name] naming!

Maybe [name]Madeline[/name], [name]Olivia[/name]…they feel victorian.