need girls name but worried about length of name compared to rest of our family

See the results of this poll: does length of name (number of letters) matter in a family?

Respondents: 48 (This poll is closed)

• doesn’t matter at all : 33 (69%)
  • matters a little bit : 14 (29%)
  • matters a lot: 1 (2%)

I don’t think it matters unless the name is super long, because in my family our cards look like this: “[name]Randy[/name], [name]Clare[/name], [name]Diana[/name], and [name]Melissa[/name]”
My sister clearly has a longer name, but it’s not that bad, then again, my dad’s full name is [name]Randall[/name], but he goes by [name]Randy[/name]. So ours is 5, 5, 5, 7… I don’t think anyone is going to notice really… unless it’s something ridiculous like 15 letters long…

I don’t think it matters with that few people. If you had 6 kids with 4 letter names, and then a 9 letter name, it might be something I would be concerned with. Also, with a 9 letter name, do you think she might go by a nickname that is shorter? That would also disguise the situation, but it wouldn’t be necessary.

I worry about this as well. [name]Iris[/name] is a favorite, but she’s SO short! I think as long as the difference isn’t ridiculous (5 and 9 sounds fine) it should work, but I would never pair petite [name]Iris[/name] with a monster like Scheherazade.

If it’s something like [name]Sarah[/name] and [name]Charlotte[/name], I wouldn’t think it matters at all. [name]Both[/name] are common, two syllable names so when you read them [name]Charlotte[/name] doesn’t look overly long in comparison. [name]Grace[/name] and [name]Genevieve[/name] is a bit different, again 5-9 in letters but one syllable versus three, which makes [name]Genevieve[/name] look overly long.

I don’t think it’s that big of a deal. When the family gets [name]Christmas[/name] cards, I’m more intersted in the letter then the number of letters in the senders’ family names. My household is fairly even with name letters- 5-5-5-6-5. But one of my cousins is more off (now that I think of it): 5-6-8-5-4. It’s still not that big of a deal. If you love a name, I wouldn’t discount it because of length.

• [name]Athena[/name]

I wouldn’t worry about it much! As said above, as long as the name isn’t like 15 letters I don’t think it matters. I think what matters more is just that all the kids names sound good together, and the length won’t even matter.

I don’t think the length of the name is nearly as important as the sound and style. Good luck!

I don’t think it matters at all.

I can honestly say I have never thought to count the letters in each name on the christmas cards I get…

essjay - it is similar to your example of [name]Sara[/name] and [name]Charlotte[/name] - my daughter’s and my name are both 5 letters but 3 syllables and the 9 letter name is 2 syllables. no nicknames all around

kasie - thanks - just wondering if it would pop out at you without counting if the difference was 5-5-5-9 ?like visually it would seem disjointed. also just wondering if number of letters is something people think about when naming - that they try to maintain consistency?

If it were [name]Al[/name], [name]Mia[/name], [name]Zoe[/name], [name]Tom[/name] and [name]Genevieve[/name] then it might stand out. But at the end of the day, who really notices?