Need help choosing daughters name

My husband and I are expecting our first child in [name]July[/name] but I’m having trouble deciding on a name. We’ve narrowed it down to a few choices. My husband is okay with whatever I choose out of those names. The middle name is going to be [name]Carolina[/name] after my late Grandmother and our last name is one syllable and starts with ‘S’. Choices are:

[name]Emily[/name] [name]Carolina[/name] S. - I have liked this name for a while but am bothered by it’s continued popularity (though at least it has decreased some)

[name]Kathryn[/name] [name]Carolina[/name] S. -I like this name but like [name]Emily[/name] better and am worried that the combo is too much of a mouthful

[name]Kate[/name] [name]Carolina[/name] S. -I like the name [name]Kate[/name] but prefer [name]Katie[/name] which my husband hates and think [name]Kate[/name] is to short to be placed with a multiple syllable middle name.

Thoughts? I really want something that is more on the traditional end of the spectrum but not too popular but just can’t seem to find a name that fits this criteria that my husband also likes. My top choices were [name]Lilah[/name] and [name]Leila[/name] but my husband does not like either of those. I am open to other suggestions.

My vote is for [name]Emily[/name] [name]Carolina[/name]. Despite it’s popularity it’s a pretty classic, and lets face it, [name]Kate[/name] is likely to get more and more popular too anyway.

I dislike [name]Kate[/name] [name]Carolina[/name], but not because of the syllables, in fact I think a 1 syllable name like [name]Grace[/name] [name]Carolina[/name] would sound amazing, but because of the repeating “K” sounds which sound a little harsh here. I definitely am a fan of alliteration at times, it just isn’t working here.

[name]Kathryn[/name] just isn’t my favourite name, I find it a little dull, and especially with that spelling which I feel takes away from the elegance of the name. I prefer [name]Katherine[/name] or [name]Catherine[/name]. [name]Catherine[/name] [name]Carolina[/name] would look and sound really great in my opinion, an example of alliteration working!

Good luck!

Husband does not like the name [name]Emma[/name], which is unfortunate because I love it. However, [name]Emma[/name] is now becoming more popular than [name]Emily[/name], so for that reason I prefer [name]Emily[/name]. I am not fond of the name [name]Ruby[/name] at all, but appreciate the suggestion. [name]Grace[/name] is also not an option, classic but to common (though more for a middle name) and not one I particularly like, though pretty. I do agree that the tradition spelling of [name]Katherine[/name]/[name]Catherine[/name] is more elegant, however combined with the middle name [name]Carolina[/name] it’s too long and the spelling of [name]Kathryn[/name] has actual meaning to us, although nerdy (it is the spelling of captain [name]Kathryn[/name] Janeway from [name]Star[/name] Trek Voyager) which is why I opted for that spelling vs. the traditional.

My favourite [name]Em[/name]- names aside from [name]Emily[/name] are [name]Emmeline[/name] and [name]Emmanuelle[/name] or [name]Emmanuella[/name].

I love [name]Emmeline[/name] but while great and not very popular, it unfortunately conflicts considerably with [name]Carolina[/name]. [name]Emmeline[/name] [name]Carolina[/name] is not very nice.

[name]Emmanuella[/name] is sweet and uncommon but it is sort of religious sounding if that’s a problem. It’s also just long, which can be an issue with multi-syllable middle name.

Other possibilities could be [name]Emerald[/name] and [name]Ember[/name]. [name]Both[/name] are pretty, but [name]Ember[/name] may be too modern a sound? [name]Emerald[/name] is uncommon but the popularity of [name]Emma[/name]/[name]Emily[/name] and [name]Ruby[/name] make it sound believable?

My favorite is definitely [name]Emily[/name] [name]Carolina[/name]. I really like the name [name]Emily[/name], despite its popularity. [name]Emily[/name] is a beautifully feminine name [name]IMO[/name], and a classic that I adore, regardless of its ‘popularity’–for instance, I am LOVING the name [name]Mary[/name] on it’s own lately as a first name. I don’t care [name]HOW[/name] popular it may be. In the same right, I also adore the name [name]Sophia[/name]–again, regardless of its popularity. I think when you really love a name (and especially a classic name) its popularity factor does not seem so important in the grand scheme of things (but of course YMMV).
I also really like [name]Lilah[/name] (prefer to spell it [name]Lila[/name], however) & [name]Laila[/name] (but prefer the spelling [name]Layla[/name]). [name]Do[/name] you know why your husband veto’ed these names? Did he give you a distinct reason?
I was going to suggest [name]Emilia[/name] as a possible name for you, except [name]Emilia[/name] [name]Carolina[/name] does not flow nearly as well as [name]Emily[/name] [name]Carolina[/name].
Have you thought about a different spelling, such as [name]Emilie[/name]? If you’re worried about her being referred to as ‘[name]Emily[/name] S.’ constantly in school, etc., an alternative spelling may help in that arena. I personally prefer the spelling [name]Emily[/name] myself, but just thought if you were terribly concerned about the aforementioned possible issue, I’d throw that idea out there.
Best,
L.D.

My favourite is [name]Emily[/name], but she is going to be one many. Some other ideas:

[name]Willow[/name] [name]Carolina[/name] ([name]LOVE[/name] this)
[name]Olive[/name] [name]Carolina[/name]
[name]Lily[/name] [name]Carolina[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Carolina[/name]
Aven [name]Carolina[/name]
[name]Jane[/name] [name]Carolina[/name]
[name]Rose[/name] [name]Carolina[/name]
[name]Sage[/name] [name]Carolina[/name]
[name]Hanna[/name] [name]Carolina[/name]
[name]Belle[/name] [name]Carolina[/name]
[name]Maren[/name] [name]Carolina[/name]
[name]Audrey[/name] [name]Carolina[/name]
[name]Imogen[/name] [name]Carolina[/name]
[name]Abigail[/name] [name]Carolina[/name]
[name]Vivian[/name] [name]Carolina[/name]
[name]Eva[/name] [name]Carolina[/name]
[name]Eve[/name] [name]Carolina[/name]
[name]Lola[/name] [name]Carolina[/name]
[name]Maeve[/name] [name]Carolina[/name]
[name]Lucy[/name] [name]Carolina[/name]
[name]Alice[/name] [name]Carolina[/name]

Anything jump out?

I love the [name]EM[/name] sound of em names and really love the nick name [name]Emmy[/name] as well as emma. Unfortunately I am not really in love with any other em names. While I like some of them I just can’t invision using them on my daughter. [name]Ember[/name] is a neat sounding name which I hadn’t really considered but it reminds me too much of [name]Amber[/name] which i hate. Sigh. And [name]Emmaline[/name] and [name]Emmanuella[/name] are much to long/don’t sound good with the middle name. Actuallly the middle name is what has booted most name choices out which is unfortunate but it is non negotiable.
I had tossed around the names [name]Lilah[/name] and [name]Leila[/name] for a month before my husband finally decided that he didn’t like either of them. Previously he had given no real opinion of the names other than spelling. While I prefer using I’s he prefers Y’s ([name]Layla[/name] and [name]Lylah[/name]). I was really upset when he finally stated he didn’t care for either name, mainly because he let me think on them so long that I was set on [name]Lilah[/name] and then he totally vetoed it. This made things complicated because I had already ruled out [name]Emily[/name] for being too popular and [name]Katherine[/name] for not being quite right, of course these were both names he then admitted to liking. He tends to like very traditional girly sounding names. Two other suggestions of his were [name]Sarah[/name] (which I like but find too plain) and [name]Chloe[/name] (which I don’t like all that much and is our cats name and thus not an option). I had suggested to him some alternate spellings of [name]Emily[/name] last night and he vetoed all of those, he of course prefers the Y spelling :slight_smile: Which is fine because I also like that spelling, but hate that it’s the most common. I was hoping that if we did pick such a popular name I could at least give her a different spelling. Though I know alternate spellings can cause more problems than they’re worth sometimes (my name is [name]Lindsay[/name] and I have never once had some one spell it correctly i get [name]Lindsey[/name] or [name]Lyndsey[/name]).
I really like the name [name]Willow[/name], but doubt my husband would go for it, I’ll have to run it by him. [name]Olive[/name] is a type of garnish, not a name in my opinion. I like [name]Lily[/name] but it is [name]WAY[/name] too popular where I live. I actualy don’t know any little girls named [name]Emily[/name], but know lots of [name]Lily[/name]'s, [name]Lilyanne[/name]'s and [name]Lilyanna[/name]'s (which is probably one of the reasons I will still consider [name]Emily[/name]). I like [name]Charolotte[/name] but have a friend who used this, plus hubby is not a fan. [name]Jane[/name] and [name]Rose[/name] are to plain. I do not like [name]Maren[/name], [name]Audrey[/name], [name]Imogen[/name] or [name]Maeve[/name]. And [name]Hanna[/name], [name]Belle[/name], [name]Abigail[/name], [name]Vivian[/name], [name]Eva[/name], [name]Eve[/name], [name]Lucy[/name] and [name]Alice[/name] are not really my style exactly. Aven is kinda neat, but not sure how I feel about it. [name]Lola[/name] is really cute but was the name a gave to my truck and reminds of of [name]Lolita[/name], which is not a good association.
Not sure if I will ever be able to settle on a name. I’ve been in love with names/naming for so long that I have become very picky and opinionated. I posted the question on this site because I know most people on here are just as obsessed as I am and are very good at thinking outside the box. If anyone could help it’s you all :slight_smile:

[name]How[/name] about [name]Isla[/name]? It’s like [name]Lila[/name], but I feel like it’s more classic. [name]Eliza[/name], [name]Livia[/name], [name]April[/name] and [name]Avril[/name] all came to mind as well. Anything there?

I think [name]Emily[/name] is pretty timeless, far too popular for my tastes. To be frank i think all three of your firstname choices are very popular but also timeless.

Not keen on [name]Kathryn[/name]/[name]Kate[/name] [name]Caroline[/name] as for me the names are too similar to each other there are derived from [name]Catherine[/name] & [name]Caroline[/name] which look and sound the same to me.

[name]How[/name] about [name]Lillith[/name], [name]Lauren[/name], [name]Judith[/name], [name]Elenor[/name], [name]Annmarie[/name], not my style but maybe would fit your husbands preference.

I’m finding it difficult to suggest names as i can’t quite grasp your style as the oes you say you like such as [name]Ember[/name], [name]Willow[/name], [name]Lola[/name] are quite different to your shortlist. Then i suppose is that your husbands influence. If [name]Olive[/name] is just a garnish to you does that mean all word names are out?