Need help coming up with a girl's name!

I’m having trouble finding a girl’s name that I love. What are your thoughts on the name [name]Marin[/name]? I like the name [name]Ireland[/name] too, but am afraid that it might be one of those “odd names.”
I would love to hear other name suggestions anyone has.
Thanks for your help!!!

While I do love [name]Marin[/name] (and [name]Marina[/name]), I’m not a fan of place or trendy names like [name]Ireland[/name]. That said, if you love [name]Ireland[/name], you should go for it!

Here are some similar names:

[name]Marina[/name]
[name]Marissa[/name]
[name]Marisol[/name]
[name]Mirabelle[/name]
[name]Miranda[/name]
[name]Miriam[/name]
[name]Mariel[/name]
[name]Marielle[/name]
[name]Isla[/name]
[name]Iris[/name]
[name]Margo[/name]
[name]Marlo[/name]
[name]Margaret[/name]
[name]Maisie[/name]
[name]Macy[/name]
[name]Marie[/name]
[name]Avalon[/name]
[name]Holland[/name]
[name]India[/name]
[name]Isadora[/name]

Best wishes to you!

I think that [name]Marin[/name] is beautiful!

Another vote for [name]Marin[/name]. Absolutely lovely, and stands out in a crowd.

My sources are telling me that [name]Marin[/name] is a masculine name - the Croatian, Romanian and French form of Marinus. [name]Maren[/name] however, is feminine -the Danish form of [name]Marina[/name] - and quite lovely.

Not a fan of [name]Ireland[/name] as a name at all - it’s a place. If you want to honour the place then use [name]Erin[/name] (an Anglicization of the ”ireann, which is a form of ”ire, the Irish name of [name]Ireland[/name]), or use an Irish name. As you like [name]Marin[/name] then [name]Maureen[/name] or [name]Maura[/name] or [name]Maeve[/name] may appeal instead.

[name]How[/name] about [name]Mirelle[/name] (sounds like [name]Michelle[/name])?

I love [name]Marin[/name] and also [name]Mireille[/name]. I don’t like [name]Ireland[/name] and [name]Erin[/name] has been around a long time. But I do like [name]Erin[/name]. [name]Maeve[/name] and [name]Maisy[/name] ([name]Maisy[/name] is short for [name]Margaret[/name]) are good options instead of [name]Ireland[/name]. I saw a post above with those ideas, and I second them!

My roommate’s sister was [name]Maren[/name]. [name]Just[/name] an idea for an alternate spelling.

[name]Love[/name] [name]Marin[/name]. I grew up with a “Merin,” but she pronounced it “Muh-rin” not like [name]Erin[/name]. I always thought her name was pretty and unique. Would you pronounce it [name]Mare[/name]-in, or Muh-rin?

Thank you to those of you who posted suggested and opinions! Sorry it’s been awhile since I’ve responded! We would pronounce [name]Marin[/name], “[name]Mare[/name]-in.” We still haven’t decided on a name. I’m only in my 4th month, so we still have a lot of time to decide. Plus, I’ll probably end up changing my mind a thousand times before the baby arrives!
Here are the names that are in the running at this point:

[name]Marin[/name]
[name]Lyla[/name] (I have a cat named [name]Layla[/name] though- are these two names too similar?)
[name]Ava[/name] (I KNOW this name is extremely popular, but I have liked this name for awhile- and still do!)
[name]Makenna[/name]
[name]Emery[/name]
[name]Reagan[/name]

Middle name will most likely be [name]Elizabeth[/name] in honor of my Mom. Thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions! This is a tough decision to make!

[name]Marin[/name]: I really think [name]Marin[/name] is a lovely name, and one that’s not heard too often. I’ve known a few Marins, and they were both kind and creative people.

[name]Lyla[/name] (I have a cat named [name]Layla[/name] though- are these two names too similar?): If you have a cat named [name]Layla[/name], I’d stay away from [name]Lyla[/name], as they’re way too close to one another. I do like [name]Lila[/name], but spelled [name]Lila[/name].

[name]Ava[/name] (I KNOW this name is extremely popular, but I have liked this name for awhile- and still do!): [name]Ava[/name] is indeed popular, and for a reason! It’s a gorgeous name, and if its popularity doesn’t scare you off, then go for it! If not for its popularity, it would be my definite pick from your list.

[name]Makenna[/name]: [name]McKenna[/name] (spelled correctly) isn’t my style (too trendy), but if you’re going to use it, I hope you’ll consider using the name’s authentic spelling. In addition to being much classier than [name]Makenna[/name], it will spare your daughter a lifetime of having to correct people’s spelling mistakes. (“No, it’s Mak, not Mc!”)

[name]Emery[/name]: It’s not my style, but next to [name]Marin[/name], is my second favorite choice from your list.

[name]Reagan[/name]: I’m definitely not a fan of [name]Reagan[/name], but I do like [name]Marin[/name] and [name]Emery[/name]!

From your list, [name]Marin[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] is my favorite, with [name]Emery[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] in second place. If I didn’t care about popularity, [name]Ava[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] would be my choice, as I’m a lover of classic names. I hope this was somewhat helpful! :slight_smile: Keep us posted!

Thanks for your insight, [name]Jill[/name]! [name]Ava[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] is the name that I have always planned on using if I had a little girl. I just don’t want my daughter to be one of 10 [name]Ava[/name]'s in her classroom someday. I will definitely keep you posted once we finally make a decision! Thanks again for your opinions :slight_smile:

You’re so welcome! Here are some alternatives to [name]Ava[/name], in case you’d still like to use the name:

[name]Aveline[/name]
[name]Avalon[/name]
[name]Avery[/name]
[name]Eve[/name]
[name]Evelyn[/name]
[name]Eva[/name]
[name]Ada[/name]

Best wishs to you!