Need Help Finding Family Girl Name

[name]Hi[/name]-would appreciate any advice you have on naming situation. Want to name my daughter after my mother or grandmother. Our son’s name is [name]Harold[/name], but goes by nn [name]Hal[/name]. (Also a family name.) My mother’s name is [name]Jan[/name] [name]Bertrice[/name] and my grandmother’s name is [name]Lillian[/name] DeMerle. Of course, the obvious choice is “[name]Lillian[/name]”, but I don’t want to use a name on the top 100 popularity list. We have been at this for months. Please help! Would prefer to name to have a shorter nn, to go with sibling name of [name]Hal[/name]. Thanks.

You could go with [name]Beatrice[/name], since it’s similar to [name]Bertrice[/name], and give her the nickname [name]Bea[/name]. Or [name]Lillian[/name] / [name]Lilith[/name] / [name]Lilia[/name] / [name]Liliana[/name], etc. with the nickname [name]Lily[/name].

I had a childhood friend who spelled her name [name]Janette[/name]. You could also go with [name]Janine[/name].

You could also use [name]Lillian[/name] as a middle name

Names that honor [name]Jan[/name] -
[name]Jana[/name]
[name]Jane[/name]
[name]Janice[/name] (Maybe a blend of [name]Jan[/name] and [name]Bertrice[/name]?)
[name]Janina[/name]
[name]Janine[/name]
[name]January[/name]

Names that honor [name]Bertrice[/name] -
[name]Beatrice[/name]
[name]Beatrix[/name]
[name]Beata[/name]
[name]Beatriz[/name]
Beatriu
[name]Berenice[/name]
[name]Berit[/name]
[name]Berta[/name]
[name]Beth[/name]
[name]Betrys[/name]
[name]Bette[/name]
[name]Bettina[/name]

[name]Beryl[/name] could be a nice blend of [name]Bertrice[/name] and [name]Merle[/name]
[name]Bertrice[/name] means bringer of victory, so maybe [name]Victoria[/name] would work for you too

Names that honor [name]Lillian[/name] -

[name]Lila[/name]
[name]Lilac[/name]
[name]Lilias[/name]
[name]Lilliana[/name]
[name]Lilibet[/name] (Could be a blend of [name]Lillian[/name] and [name]Bertrice[/name]?)

Maybe [name]Delilah[/name] works to honor [name]Lillian[/name] DeMerle.

Names that honor DeMerle -

[name]Meredith[/name]
[name]Meryl[/name] / [name]Meril[/name]
[name]Merrill[/name] / [name]Merrill[/name]
[name]Merilyn[/name]
[name]Merline[/name]
[name]Meriel[/name]
[name]Merida[/name]
[name]Merilee[/name]

What about [name]Liliana[/name] [name]Janette[/name]? I love [name]Liliana[/name] -lily AWN ah- pronounced this way.

What about [name]Jillian[/name]? ([name]Jan[/name]+[name]Lillian[/name])

What about [name]Jillian[/name] - a nice mix of [name]Jan[/name] and [name]Lillian[/name].

edit: lol, just mentioned! good suggestion!

I might suggest that you went with a frankly unstylish boys’ name [name]Harold[/name] - but with a stylish-if-clunky nickname - [name]Hal[/name], that you just follow suit here. [name]Bertrice[/name] doesn’t really fit modern sensibilities exactly, but it’s a great match to [name]Harold[/name] (I am loving the idea of a [name]Harold[/name] and [name]Bertrice[/name]!) and you can call her either [name]Bee[/name]/[name]Bea[/name] or [name]Trixie[/name] quite easily, which are both more “in” and also quite well matched to [name]Hal[/name] ([name]Hal[/name] and [name]Bea[/name] in particular is really delightful). I also think [name]Bertie[/name]/[name]Birdie[/name]/[name]Bird[/name] from [name]Bertrice[/name] is stylish in a different way and also pretty good with [name]Hal[/name].

That said, you have a ton of great suggestions here and you’ll do well to go with any of them, but I thought I’d chip in for going straight to [name]Bertrice[/name] since no one’s suggested that yet and I really do think it works in your case… I’d recommend going straight to [name]Jan[/name] as [name]Hal[/name] and [name]Jan[/name] are great together and [name]Jan[/name] is a bit more stylish than [name]Bertrice[/name], but, I think [name]Jan[/name] is just already so nicknamey, I think it’s nice to have something a little longer as a full name. That said [name]Jan[/name] nn J/[name]Jay[/name]/[name]Jae[/name] is kind of cool too!

Good luck!

Echoing [name]Janice[/name] as a combination of [name]Jan[/name] and [name]Bertrice[/name], or [name]Jillian[/name] as a combination of [name]Jan[/name] and [name]Lillian[/name]. I think [name]Hal[/name] and [name]Jilly[/name] would be an adorable pairing.

[name]January[/name]
[name]Janette[/name]
[name]Janelle[/name]
[name]Jane[/name]
[name]Beatrice[/name]
[name]Demetria[/name]
[name]Demi[/name]
[name]Birdie[/name]

I like [name]Beatrice[/name] [name]Jane[/name] with [name]Hal[/name].