Need help naming Roscoe's little brother!

We chose our first son’s name [name]Roscoe[/name] for many reasons. We read it in a naming book somewhere and it grew on us over time. And then a friend of ours mentioned a favorite song of theirs, [name]Roscoe[/name] by Midlake and after listening to that song on repeat for weeks and weeks we knew it was a name we would love.

We still [name]LOVE[/name] the name [name]Roscoe[/name] and several times a week, when we’re out and about strangers tell us how much they love the name too.

We just found out that we’re expecting a second little boy in [name]April[/name]. We’re hoping to find a name equally unpopular (on the charts), but just as lovable, and we tend to like names from the 1800s early 1900s. So far we’ve come up with [name]Sherman[/name], [name]Odie[/name], and [name]Merritt[/name]. [name]Odie[/name] is the top runner, but for I’m still not sold.

[name]Roscoe[/name]'s full name is [name]Roscoe[/name] [name]Ellis[/name] [name]Hopper[/name] (Last Name). This baby has four name slots too.

Any ideas for little brother names that would live up to and complement [name]Roscoe[/name]? Thanks so much!!!

[name]Roscoe[/name] has a playful, energetic and adventurous spirit about it which I love. From your list, I think [name]Merritt[/name] would be the best pairing. Here are some other suggestions.
[name]Atticus[/name]
[name]Clarence[/name]
[name]Byron[/name]
[name]Darien[/name]
[name]Eli[/name]
[name]Sheldon[/name]
[name]Everett[/name]
[name]Mason[/name]
[name]Miles[/name] / [name]Milo[/name]
[name]Chester[/name]
[name]Verne[/name]
[name]Otis[/name]
[name]Lorne[/name]
[name]Jethro[/name]
[name]Cyril[/name]
[name]Cletus[/name]
[name]Burl[/name]
[name]Otto[/name]
[name]Wyatt[/name]
[name]Enoch[/name]
[name]Jonah[/name]
[name]Caleb[/name]
[name]Virgil[/name]
[name]Lionel[/name]
[name]Rufus[/name]
[name]Wilfred[/name]
[name]Lloyd[/name]

My favorite that you’ve said is [name]Merritt[/name], it has older charm without sounding dowdy. [name]Sherman[/name] just doesn’t sound fresh enough to be [name]Roscoe[/name]'s brother, and [name]Obie[/name] sounds to much like a nickname to me. Some other names you may like:
[name]Abram[/name]
[name]Alvin[/name]
[name]Archer[/name] / [name]Arch[/name] “[name]Archie[/name]”
[name]Bennett[/name]
[name]Bryant[/name]
[name]Cedric[/name]
[name]Crispin[/name]
[name]Dashiell[/name]
[name]Desmond[/name]
[name]Dexter[/name]
[name]Duncan[/name]
[name]Emmett[/name]
[name]Ephraim[/name]
[name]Felix[/name]
[name]Gerard[/name]
[name]Gideon[/name]
[name]Gordon[/name]
[name]Griffin[/name]
[name]Harvey[/name]
[name]Julius[/name]
[name]Justus[/name]
[name]Leif[/name]
[name]Leon[/name]
[name]Levon[/name]
[name]Lowell[/name]
[name]Lyle[/name]
[name]Madoc[/name]
[name]Malcolm[/name]
[name]Normand[/name]
[name]Otis[/name]
[name]Quentin[/name]
[name]Tarquin[/name]

I’d like to recommend [name]Winston[/name], one of my personal favorites! [name]Winston[/name] and [name]Roscoe[/name] would make an excellent pair!

I adore [name]Roscoe[/name]! It’s one of my top two, and the other is [name]Louis[/name] ([name]Lou[/name]-ee). I don’t know if they match stylistically, but to me [name]Roscoe[/name] and [name]Louis[/name] just seem to go together.

I think [name]Scott[/name] is the name, imagine 2 brothers one [name]Scottie[/name] and the other [name]Roscoe[/name], adorable!

I love [name]Sherman[/name]! I think you should go for it.

A few more ideas:
[name]Leon[/name]
[name]Doyle[/name]
[name]Sinclair[/name]
[name]Matthew[/name]
[name]Dominique[/name]
[name]Marcel[/name]
[name]Kendrick[/name]
[name]Leo[/name]
[name]Hugh[/name]
[name]Martin[/name]
[name]Antione[/name]
[name]Clement[/name]
[name]Antoine[/name]
[name]Finn[/name]
[name]Domenic[/name]
[name]Antwan[/name]
[name]Aric[/name]
[name]Garth[/name]
[name]Lucian[/name]
[name]Guy[/name]
[name]Jasper[/name]
[name]Gawain[/name]
[name]Lucius[/name]
[name]Glen[/name]
[name]Gilbert[/name]
[name]Barnaby[/name]
[name]Graham[/name]
[name]William[/name]
[name]Roderick[/name]
[name]Quentin[/name]
[name]Alexander[/name]
[name]Jacob[/name]
[name]Marcus[/name]
[name]Dean[/name]
[name]Reuben[/name]
[name]Alan[/name]
[name]Terrell[/name]
[name]Eldridge[/name]
[name]Benjamin[/name]
[name]Worth[/name]
[name]Nelson[/name]
[name]Harmon[/name]
[name]Williams[/name]
[name]Asher[/name]
[name]Willis[/name]
[name]Owen[/name]
[name]Foster[/name]
[name]Caleb[/name]
[name]Henry[/name]
[name]Oliver[/name]
[name]Fletcher[/name]
[name]Manly[/name]
[name]Jack[/name]
[name]James[/name]
[name]Dell[/name]
[name]Watson[/name]
[name]Robinson[/name]
[name]Judson[/name]
[name]Wright[/name]
[name]Richmond[/name]
[name]Mercer[/name]

Wow! Thank you to everyone :slight_smile:

I knew you’d have great suggestions! I agree that [name]Merritt[/name] seems to “go better” with [name]Roscoe[/name], and it is my favorite out of the two. My husband is in love with [name]Odie[/name], and I definitely see the appeal, I’m just not totally sure about a nickname from the 1800’s…it’s a little odd, but it is growing on me. [name]Sherman[/name] is a family name, and will more than likely become one of the middle names.

Last night we were discussing:
[name]Odie[/name] [name]Leonides[/name] [name]Sherman[/name] (Last Name)… I’m part Greek, and i’m a leo so [name]Leonides[/name] seems like a good fit. Your suggestions of [name]Leo[/name], [name]Leon[/name], and [name]Lionel[/name] pointed me in this direction!!

Thoughts on the new pairing?

Thanks again!
[name]Jacqueline[/name]

I’m sorry but I just can’t get into [name]Odie[/name] for a boy’s name. It reminds me of Opie on the [name]Andy[/name] [name]Griffith[/name] Show or the [name]Obi[/name] Wan Kenobi character in [name]Star[/name] Wars. I can just imagine the teasing ahead. Your older son [name]Roscoe[/name] has a strong and masculine sounding name and if you name your second son [name]Odie[/name] he may feel like he got short changed in the name department. You also have [name]Sherman[/name] for a middle name so that would be two feminine sounding names for him. In my opinion, you definitely need a stronger first name for your second boy. [name]Leonides[/name] is a great middle name to honour your Greek heritage. [name]Merritt[/name] [name]Leonides[/name] [name]Sherman[/name] has a much stronger style and sound. Good luck!

Ugh…I know…[name]Odie[/name] isn’t quite doing it for me either. The consensus seems to be that [name]Merritt[/name] is more suited. Although the grandparents and others we’ve asked [name]IRL[/name] seem to favor [name]Odie[/name]. I think because they think it’s “cute” and because “[name]Roscoe[/name] and [name]Odie[/name]” is a catchy phrase–probably related to our love of [name]Milo[/name] and [name]Otis[/name]. All of this leads me to believe that you are right in assuming that [name]Odie[/name] is a weaker name and that [name]Merritt[/name] will be better able to hold his own. [name]Odie[/name] is like [name]Roscoe[/name]'s sidekick!

Does [name]Merritt[/name] seem feminine in any way? Maybe that’s what’s holding me back. It is a softer sounding name.

I can see how [name]Merritt[/name] could come across as softer than [name]Roscoe[/name], but I don’t find the name feminine in the least. I really love the idea of using [name]Leonidas[/name] [name]Sherman[/name] as the MN. It’s both honoring and unexpected, plus [name]Leonidas[/name] is just awesome. For some reason I just can’t seem to let go of [name]Odie[/name] completely, have you considered using it as a nickname? [name]Odell[/name] [name]Leonidas[/name] [name]Sherman[/name], or [name]Otis[/name] [name]Leonidas[/name] [name]Sherman[/name], both sound like little good brothers for [name]Roscoe[/name] to me. And [name]Odie[/name] would not be a stretch for the nickname on either. [name]Otto[/name] [name]Leonidas[/name] [name]Sherman[/name] could work as well.

I think [name]Merritt[/name] sounds too feminine. Maybe because I’ve met 2 girls named [name]Merritt[/name] but I just think its not got the same edge that [name]Roscoe[/name] has (which, I agree, is fantastic). I like [name]Sherman[/name] out of your choices best. Some pp’s had names I think go well with [name]Roscoe[/name], especially [name]Winston[/name], [name]Sinclair[/name] and [name]Fletcher[/name].

Here are a few more ideas just in case–
[name]Thatcher[/name]
[name]Hudson[/name]
[name]Gibson[/name]
[name]Montgomery[/name]
[name]Clifton[/name]
[name]Everett[/name]

I love [name]Merritt[/name] and have actually put it on my list for the fututre. [name]Odie[/name] is all “[name]Garfield[/name]'s dimwitted dog” in my head and is often used as a clue in crossword puzzles, at least in the states.

Also I love a pp’s suggestion of [name]Otis[/name] as an alternative. Perfect with [name]Roscoe[/name]!

Eek! I stopped getting alerts in my inbox as people replied!! I figured my thread had died…

I like [name]Sherman[/name], [name]Merritt[/name], and [name]Odie[/name]…I asked my husband if we could name the baby [name]Leonidas[/name] as a first name (I’ve since realized that [name]Leonides[/name] spelled that way is the spanish version with a slightly different pronunciation, and we are def going for the greek version even though I like the other spelling better) and he said no way. I agree that it’s a big name to live up to.

[name]Odie[/name] has created a little sweet spot in my heart, and I’m trying so hard to come up with something that works. [name]Sherman[/name] is my grandpa’s middle name so using it as a first seems like name recycling just a little too soon. If it weren’t for that I would probably put it higher on the first name list. [name]Leonidas[/name] and [name]Sherman[/name] are here to stay as middle names, but argh…[name]Merritt[/name], [name]Odie[/name] (or as many of you pointed out wisely, a longer version of [name]Odie[/name] as a first name might work well). [name]Odell[/name] could certainly work.

Our last name is Sears (so you can factor everything in)…names like [name]Sinclair[/name] become tongue twisters! Although I do like [name]Sinclair[/name]. I like [name]Otis[/name], but as with [name]Odie[/name] I feel like it lends itself too easily to becoming [name]Roscoe[/name]'s sidekick, “can’t have one without the other”. I would like for the little guy to be able to stand on his own.

Hmm…I always think I have the answer until I hear more perspective from this thread. I had convinced myself of [name]Merritt[/name], but now I’m not so sure…oh dear!

Along with [name]Odell[/name] and [name]Otto[/name] there is also [name]Odin[/name] and [name]Odemar[/name]