Need help revitalizing Anna

I have long loved the name [name_f]Anna[/name_f] (and I also really like [name_f]Annie[/name_f]), since I think it’s classy and timeless and strong. However, it seems a little plain as well, so I am struggling to find a long form I can really commit to.

For most of my life, I was sure I wanted to name a daughter [name_f]Andromeda[/name_f], nicknamed [name_f]Anna[/name_f], but now that I am actually approaching TTC, it seems a little bit too “out there” and pretentious and could elicit eye rolling from people who would hear her name. I don’t want to subject my daughter to embarrassment! Plus, the Greek character of [name_f]Andromeda[/name_f] isn’t the most flattering, as she is basically a damsel in distress, and I would prefer a stronger namesake than that.

However, no other long forms of [name_f]Anna[/name_f] seem to do it. [name_u]Anne[/name_u] is even plainer than [name_f]Anna[/name_f], [name_f]Annabel[/name_f](le) and [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] are too frilly for me, and I do not like double barrelled or Southern style names ([name_f]Annabeth[/name_f], [name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_f]Mae[/name_f], [name_f]Anna[/name_f]-[name_f]Rose[/name_f], etc). I feel like there is a perfect name out there that is just out of reach and I can’t quite seem to find it, even after scouring the internet for ideas!

For reference, here is my current favorite girls’ name list:
[name_f]Fiona[/name_f], [name_f]Freya[/name_f], [name_f]Eliza[/name_f], [name_f]Pippa[/name_f], [name_f]Juno[/name_f], [name_f]Astrid[/name_f], [name_f]Ramona[/name_f], [name_f]Stella[/name_f], [name_f]Maeve[/name_f], [name_f]Matilda[/name_f], [name_f]Saskia[/name_f], [name_f]Alma[/name_f], [name_f]Thea[/name_f], [name_f]Imogen[/name_f].

[name_f]My[/name_f] favorite variation on [name_f]Anna[/name_f] is actually [name_f]Anya[/name_f]. I know it’s not a full form for [name_f]Anna[/name_f] but I think it (along with [name_f]Ana[/name_f]) are worth considering as less popular options. Full forms for [name_f]Anna[/name_f]:

[name_f]Annette[/name_f]
Anella
[name_f]Brianna[/name_f]

I tried to put names that remind me [name_f]Anna[/name_f] or the ones on your list

[name_f]Vienna[/name_f] or [name_f]Sienna[/name_f]- The “enna” part sounds like [name_f]Anna[/name_f] a little to me
[name_f]Anetta[/name_f] (Similar to [name_f]Anna[/name_f])
[name_f]Analia[/name_f] ([name_f]Ana[/name_f]-leah, similar to [name_f]Anna[/name_f])
[name_f]Aster[/name_f] (Similar to [name_f]Astrid[/name_f])
[name_u]Piper[/name_u] (Reminds me of [name_f]Pippa[/name_f])
[name_f]Philippa[/name_f] (Maybe as a longer form of [name_f]Pippa[/name_f])
[name_u]June[/name_u] (Similar to [name_f]Juno[/name_f])
[name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] (Reminds me to [name_f]Stella[/name_f])
[name_f]Estella[/name_f] (Also reminds me of [name_f]Stella[/name_f])
[name_f]Faith[/name_f] (Reminds me of [name_f]Fiona[/name_f] and [name_f]Freya[/name_f])
[name_f]Mae[/name_f] (Similar to [name_f]Maeve[/name_f])
[name_f]Mavis[/name_f] (Similar to [name_f]Maeve[/name_f])
[name_f]Amma[/name_f] (Similar to [name_f]Alma[/name_f])
[name_f]Amy[/name_f] (Also similar to [name_f]Alma[/name_f])
[name_f]Thisbe[/name_f] (Similar to [name_f]Thea[/name_f])
[name_f]Emmaline[/name_f] (Reminds me of [name_f]Imogen[/name_f])

Other Names (These remind me of [name_f]Andromeda[/name_f]):
[name_f]Calliope[/name_f]
[name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f]
[name_f]Celestia[/name_f]
[name_f]Anemone[/name_f]
[name_f]Persephone[/name_f]
[name_f]Athena[/name_f]
[name_f]Amaryllis[/name_f]

I do like [name_f]Andromeda[/name_f] a lot though!

1 Like

I like [name_f]Anna[/name_f] as a full name but here are some longer names that could have [name_f]Anna[/name_f] as a nickname.

[name_f]Adrianna[/name_f]
[name_f]Anastasia[/name_f]
[name_u]Andrea[/name_u]
[name_f]Andromache[/name_f]
[name_f]Angela[/name_f]
[name_f]Annika[/name_f]
[name_f]Anouk[/name_f]
[name_f]Anthea[/name_f]
[name_f]Arianna[/name_f]
[name_f]Dianna[/name_f]
[name_f]Elanna[/name_f]
[name_f]Johanna[/name_f]
[name_f]Julianna[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilianna[/name_f]
[name_f]Marianna[/name_f]
[name_f]Roxanna[/name_f]
[name_f]Susanna[/name_f]

1 Like

First two thinks that came to mind were [name_f]Ansley[/name_f] and [name_f]Annika[/name_f]

[name_f]Annora[/name_f]
Anaïs
[name_f]Anouk[/name_f]
[name_f]Anya[/name_f]
[name_f]Ania[/name_f]
Anelle
[name_f]Ananda[/name_f]
[name_f]Channa[/name_f]
[name_m]Vanya[/name_m] “[name_f]Annie[/name_f]”

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] first thought upon reading ‘[name_f]Andromeda[/name_f]; ‘stronger’ namesake; potential [name_f]Anna[/name_f] nickname’ was [name_f]Atalanta[/name_f] ‘[name_f]Anna[/name_f]/[name_f]Annie[/name_f].’ If you don’t know the story and character of [name_f]Atalanta[/name_f], I urge you to do some research - she is the epitome of strength.

Personally, I think [name_f]Andromeda[/name_f] is fantastic, and I would love to meet someone with such a beautiful, uncommon name. If she did grow to prefer a more common name, she would have one built in in her very nickname of [name_f]Anna[/name_f], so this wouldn’t be too much of a hassle for her to deal with. Also, if the ‘damsel in distress’ idea bothers you so much, reframe it - [name_f]Andromeda[/name_f] overcame adversity that was no fault of her own - she is a survivor. There’s great strength in that.

[name_f]My[/name_f] other thought was of [name_f]Anthea[/name_f], and perhaps even [name_f]Athena[/name_f] could work with nickname [name_f]Anna[/name_f] (though I do personally prefer them as is, without a nickname).

1 Like

[name_f]Anya[/name_f] & [name_f]Annika[/name_f] are great! There’s also [name_u]Antonia[/name_u], which has different roots but is just as classy. Oh, and [name_u]Anne[/name_u] feels very fresh again and would be lovely to see in use again.

1 Like

I love [name_f]Anna[/name_f] all by itself, and especially like the idea of pairing it with a fun/adventurous middle name–but I completely understand if that doesn’t do it for you! @Johannaa’s suggestion of [name_f]Adrianna[/name_f] reminds me quite a bit of [name_f]Andromeda[/name_f] in sound, and has [name_f]Anna[/name_f] built right into it. If you’re willing to stretch a little, I think pretty much any name with an “an” sound could work–or even just an A first name with an N middle name! But I’m pretty flexible about nicknames, so that wouldn’t work for everyone. I think you have lots of great suggestions here already, so I’d add just a few:

[name_f]Vivianna[/name_f]
[name_f]Savannah[/name_f]
[name_f]Alexandra[/name_f]
[name_f]Miranda[/name_f]
[name_f]Cassandra[/name_f]
[name_f]Vanessa[/name_f]
[name_f]Liana[/name_f]/[name_f]Leanna[/name_f]

1 Like

[name_f]Anthea[/name_f]
[name_f]Anwen[/name_f]
[name_f]Annika[/name_f]
[name_f]Anastasia[/name_f]
[name_f]Leandra[/name_f]
[name_f]Lianna[/name_f]
[name_f]Annabeth[/name_f]
[name_f]Roxanne[/name_f]
[name_f]Viviana[/name_f]

1 Like

I know a [name_f]Savannah[/name_f] who goes by [name_f]Anna[/name_f]. Other ideas are [name_f]Oriana[/name_f] and [name_f]Georgiana[/name_f].

I think [name_f]Anita[/name_f] or [name_f]Annette[/name_f] would work for you. They’re both more on the peppy side of classic and I think they’ve got flair. [name_f]Meda[/name_f] would be a cute name too since you like [name_f]Andromeda[/name_f].

I really like @Greyblue’s suggestion of [name_f]Anthea[/name_f] - you already like [name_f]Thea[/name_f] as a name and [name_f]Anthea[/name_f] is unusual whilst still being very wearable. It’s got the clear An- start for [name_f]Anna[/name_f] or [name_f]Annie[/name_f] as a nickname.

1 Like

[name_f]Annie[/name_f]/[name_f]Ana[/name_f] is my name and I’ve never thought of it as plain or boring. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: [name_f]My[/name_f] full name is actually ultra rare, but I’m not going to post it here because it’s quite long and probably too frilly for your taste.

I really like the suggestions of [name_f]Anthea[/name_f] and [name_f]Anwen[/name_f]. [name_f]Miranda[/name_f] could also work with a bit of a stretch.

I love your girls list! [name_f]My[/name_f] faves are [name_f]Fiona[/name_f], [name_f]Freya[/name_f], [name_f]Pippa[/name_f], [name_f]Astrid[/name_f], [name_f]Stella[/name_f], [name_f]Maeve[/name_f], [name_f]Saskia[/name_f], and [name_f]Thea[/name_f]. They are exactly my style :slight_smile: Would [name_f]Andromeda[/name_f] work as a middle name? [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] [name_f]Andromeda[/name_f] has a nice flair!

Some “[name_f]Anna[/name_f]” names that might fit: [name_f]Anastasia[/name_f], [name_f]Anya[/name_f], [name_f]Annika[/name_f], [name_f]Annora[/name_f], [name_f]Arianna[/name_f], and [name_f]Anthea[/name_f]

I love [name_f]Anna[/name_f] just as it is. It make a short, simple name, but it packs a lot of punch! If you’re set on a long form, I would echo the suggestion of [name_f]Annika[/name_f].

One name on my list is [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f]. It’s not double-barrelled, though it might be southern, I’m not sure. I also like [name_f]Annalie[/name_f] and [name_f]Ansley[/name_f]. All three could work for nickname [name_f]Anna[/name_f] or [name_f]Annie[/name_f] without embarrassing her.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for your insights!! [name_f]Annika[/name_f] is a nice name, although I pronounce it like AWN-ih-kuh whereas I pronounce [name_f]Anna[/name_f] like ANN-uh, so they seem like different names to me!

I do like [name_f]Anastasia[/name_f], but it sounds horrendous with my last name :pensive: I haven’t considered [name_f]Anya[/name_f] before, that’s one I’ll put on my list to think about! [name_f]Anthea[/name_f] and [name_f]Atalanta[/name_f] are nice ones too that I’ll ponder.

Names are hard!