Need help with a German name!

[name]Crescentia[/name]

Yes, I know… it’s a little bad… BUT

This was my great-grandmother’s middle name (first name was [name]Olga[/name] – ew!). She was from Germany. My husband and I are both 1/4 [name]German[/name], and I thought it would be cool if we incorporated that by using [name]Crescentia[/name] in the mn spot for a girl. I tried looking it up, but no two sites said anything consistent with each other. I was hoping someone on here might be familiar with [name]German[/name] names and could could tell me something about it.

My question: [name]How[/name] is it pronounced?
Cruh-sen-tee-uh
Cruh-sen-shuh
Cruh-shen-tee-uh
Cruh-shen-shuh
Some other pronounciation?

Second question: Is it completely terrible? Should I just forget it?

first of all, crescentia is not a german name.
it is latin.
the german pronounciation would be like the first one you described, but a bit different: creh-sen-tee-ah
i asked my german dp whether he knew of anyone with that name in germany, and he said
“i don’t know any, but it might be a name, and if it is, it’s horrible”
just his opinion…

I actually really like the name [name]Olga[/name]! But [name]Crescentia[/name] is not terrible for a middle name…

I responded to your other thread, but I will add some comments here.
I love middle names with meaning and family history, no matter how out of style they are :wink: …so that is why [name]Crescentia[/name] would be a nice choice. But, I really don’t think [name]Olga[/name] is that bad! My great grandmother’s name was [name]Olga[/name], too (but she was from Norway). It is a clunky name, but in a cute way. Sure, [name]Olga[/name] is dustier than other ‘old lady names’ that are coming back, but it doesn’t mean it wouldn’t make a great middle name! It is certainly less of a mouthful, and you already know how to pronounce it. It also has a stronger connection to your great grandmother. If you think it is terrible, though – no sense in talking yourself into it.

Have you decided on a first name? [name]How[/name] does it sound with [name]Crescentia[/name]? [name]Olga[/name]?

While I have never heard the name before I would guess the [name]German[/name] pronounciation would be Cruh-sen-tee-uh. It comes for the Latin name Cresentius meaning “to grow”. [name]Cressida[/name] has a very similar sound but feels more modern.

I saw that it’s latin origin, but everywhere says that it’s used most in Germany. Which is why I assumed it would have a [name]German[/name] pronunciation.

gigi22-
My husband gets to pick the name, and I think he likes [name]Ainsley[/name] best (Zannah, [name]Caroline[/name], and [name]Sailor[/name] are also in the running). [name]Olga[/name] doesn’t really go with any of them though… my grandmother (who is also from Germany) is named [name]Hertha[/name] (pn Hare-tuh). If I used [name]Olga[/name] or [name]Hertha[/name], it would probably be [name]Hertha[/name] first. I think [name]Ainsley[/name] [name]Crescentia[/name] sounds nice. :slight_smile: