Need help with a girls name - due in December!

[name]Hi[/name] everyone,
I feel totally stuck on girls’ names. We are team green, and already have a name pretty much picked out for our baby if it is a boy - [name]Theodore[/name], nn [name]Theo[/name]. We are so stuck on girls’ names though. Everything I love is becoming too popular for my taste ([name]Fiona[/name], [name]Amelia[/name], [name]Eleanor[/name] nn [name]Nora[/name], [name]Penelope[/name]). Change in Popularity I really, truly LOVED any of those names, I would still use it, but I really want my baby girl to have a unique, beautiful name. Also, plant names like [name]Magnolia[/name] or [name]Violet[/name] are out because our last name would make it sound like a housing complex or fancy rehab facility.

The names that we’ve come up with that we do like are:
[name]Beatrice[/name]/[name]Beatrix[/name]
[name]Louise[/name]/[name]Louisa[/name]
[name]Hazel[/name] nn Hazy (but getting too popular for my taste - what do you think?)
[name]Mabel[/name] nn Mabey

Any thoughts on these names or ideas on other names that might meet our criteria and could go with [name]Theo[/name] down the line? I wish I wasn’t so concerned with popularity but I am…

Thanks so much in advance!

You’ve got some beautiful name choices! :slight_smile: I really like the name [name]Hazel[/name], but, like you said, it may not fit your criteria for a name that isn’t rising in popularity.
[name]Louisa[/name] is a lovely choice! So pretty and classic. :slight_smile:

Some other names you may like:
[name]Felicity[/name]
[name]Matilda[/name]
[name]Pearl[/name]
[name]Ruby[/name]
[name]Marguerite[/name]
[name]Willa[/name]

[name]Alice[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name]
[name]Catherine[/name]
[name]Margaret[/name]
[name]Anne[/name]
[name]Victoria[/name]

Thanks [name]Sunshine[/name]! I feel like I’ve looked at the same names over and over again and they’ve all kind of lost their shine. :frowning:

We do like [name]Louisa[/name], and would either use the nickname lulu or weezy…i know it’s weird but we’re a kind of silly couple so think it could work at least until she’s old enough to protest! [name]Do[/name] you think Weezy is cute for a baby/toddler?

[name]Felicity[/name]- enough people have suggested it that I am starting to consider it…but it just rubs me the wrong way.
[name]Matilda[/name] - I like, but worried it would get caught up in the [name]Maddy[/name] craze. Also, there is a [name]Tilly[/name] in my family history who was a hated woman, though I do think the nickname [name]Tilly[/name] is adorable!
[name]Pearl[/name]- I feel like that is planty enough to sound like a housing complex with our last name
[name]Ruby[/name]- too popular for my taste
[name]Marguerite[/name] - one to consider. My great grandmothers name is [name]Marguerite[/name] (but she was not my favorite lady and was quite a racist…)
[name]Willa[/name]- [name]LOVE[/name], [name]LOVE[/name], [name]LOVE[/name] this name very much but our last name is a one syllable W word and the alliteration is a bit much.

Thank you so much for the suggestions. I am getting more and more sold on [name]Louisa[/name]…

[name]Hazel[/name] is a plant name so I’m confused. [name]Hazel[/name] is really pretty and on my own list, but I’m not as torqued about popularity as all that.

I like [name]Beatrice[/name] very much, [name]Beatrix[/name] nearly as much.

[name]Mabel[/name] and [name]Maybelle[/name] are both cute either spelling but Mabey as in “maybe?” doesn’t do anything for me as a nickname, nothing wrong with just [name]May[/name].

You might also like:
[name]Leora[/name]
[name]Tabitha[/name]
[name]Kezia[/name]
[name]Elspeth[/name]
[name]Amity[/name]
[name]Amarantha[/name]
[name]Tansy[/name]
[name]Jessamine[/name]
[name]Esme[/name]
[name]Opal[/name]
[name]Aviva[/name]
[name]Iola[/name]

A couple of those are considered terminally dated but I like them. None are very trendy at the moment but none are made up either.

[name]Louisa[/name] is my fav of your options! She sounds great with [name]Theo[/name]. I wouldn’t be too concerned with the popularity of [name]Fiona[/name] and [name]Penelope[/name] if I were you. Those seem like “nameberry popular” names but not generally that popular.

I agree, [name]Louisa[/name] and [name]Theo[/name] sound adorable together

[name]Alice[/name] is pretty
[name]Lydia[/name] is the name of a woman I hate
[name]Catherine[/name] is too close to my own name but beautiful and classic nonetheless
[name]Margaret[/name]…I like this one…nickname [name]Maggie[/name] for sure…[name]Will[/name] add it to our list!
[name]Anne[/name]- a little to plain for me
[name]Victoria[/name]- too popular (currently #23)

Thanks so much for the suggestions! I will add [name]Margaret[/name] to our list.

[name]Hazel[/name] is a plant name?! Looked it up - how did I not know that?! hehe. It is beautiful though.

[name]Beatrice[/name] vs. [name]Beatrix[/name] - I love the spunk of [name]Beatrix[/name] but don’t want to sound pretentious yelling it in the park. And I’m scared of nn “[name]Trixie[/name]”. [name]Beatrice[/name] rolls so much more nicely off the tongue but I worry it’s a tad boring…But I think I’m leaning towards [name]Beatrice[/name] at this point.

[name]May[/name] is a beautiful for [name]Mabel[/name]- I would only use Mabey until she gets old enough to protest - wouldn’t be an official nickname.

[name]Leora[/name] is interesting - one I hadn’t thought of!
I also like [name]Jessamine[/name]…
[name]Esme[/name] is my favorite on your list but unfortunately it’s the name of a close friends baby. :frowning:

Thanks for the ideas!

Thanks to you and bre for the support on [name]Louisa[/name]…I’m loving it more and more! And you’re both right…it sounds wonderful with [name]Theo[/name] in my opinion. I’m sure I can sell DH on it, but not so sure about the rest of my family…Oh well, they will have to take what they get!

[name]Mabel[/name] is adorable!!!
[name]Louisa[/name] [name]Mabel[/name] would be goregeos
or [name]Mabel[/name] [name]Louise[/name]

I have always loved [name]Mabel[/name]…obviously I’m not worried about the “old lady” vibe, but I do worry that [name]Mabel[/name] is a little too “back woods”…the other names we like (and if we end up with a big family then we will likely use) are more flowery and distinguished, like [name]Beatrice[/name]…

[name]Louise[/name] is a middle name that keeps sounding wonderful in that middle name spot - it flows well with our last name too.

[name]Sara[/name]/h nn [name]Sadie[/name]
[name]Sadie[/name]
[name]Maisie[/name]
[name]Ruby[/name]
[name]Lucy[/name]
[name]Pearl[/name]
[name]Ruth[/name]
[name]Rebekah[/name]
[name]Georgina[/name]
[name]Anna[/name]
[name]Clara[/name]
[name]Tabitha[/name]
[name]Daphne[/name]
[name]Isadora[/name]
[name]Nadine[/name]

I like [name]Mabel[/name], I think [name]Mabel[/name] and [name]Theo[/name] would be cute together, but I do like [name]Louisa[/name] and [name]Theo[/name] together as well.

Other names:
[name]Agatha[/name]
[name]Florence[/name]
[name]Margot[/name]
[name]Cynthia[/name] (I think [name]Cynthia[/name] and [name]Theodore[/name] are a nice match)
[name]Lenore[/name]
[name]Andrea[/name]
[name]Susannah[/name]
[name]Georgia[/name]
[name]Lorraine[/name]
[name]Elise[/name]
[name]Meredith[/name]
[name]Bonnie[/name]

Absolutely love [name]Hazel[/name]. I don’t think you’re going to run in to too many of them. [name]Mabel[/name] and [name]Louisa[/name] are lovely as well. Have you considered [name]Maeve[/name]?

[name]Aria[/name]
[name]Bianca[/name]
[name]Cosette[/name]
[name]Daphne[/name]
[name]Evangeline[/name]
[name]Francesca[/name]
[name]Gwendolyn[/name]
[name]Helena[/name]
[name]Irene[/name]
[name]Johanna[/name]
[name]Katya[/name]
[name]Lorelei[/name]
[name]Madeleine[/name]
[name]Natalya[/name]
[name]Olive[/name]
[name]Padma[/name]
[name]Quinn[/name]
[name]Rachel[/name]
[name]Seraphina[/name]
[name]Tatiana[/name]
[name]Umbria[/name]
[name]Vivienne[/name]
[name]Winona[/name]
[name]Xia[/name]
[name]Yvette[/name]
[name]Zoe[/name]

I love [name]Beatrice[/name] & [name]Louisa[/name].
Maybe
[name]Bernadette[/name]
[name]Myrtle[/name]
[name]Linda[/name]
[name]Dolores[/name]
[name]Antonia[/name]
[name]Althea[/name]
[name]Theodora[/name]
[name]Theodosia[/name]
[name]Anthea[/name]
[name]Wilhelmina[/name]
[name]Greta[/name]
[name]Anya[/name]
[name]Raya[/name]
[name]Freya[/name]

No idea how popular they are…just thought they went with your list

[name]Adelaide[/name]
[name]Cora[/name]
[name]Edith[/name]
[name]Mariel[/name]
[name]Tessa[/name]
[name]Rosalie[/name]

By the way, I love [name]Louisa[/name] and [name]Mabel[/name] from your list.

Thanks for all the suggestions. From the suggestions above I really like:

[name]Adelaide[/name]
Eddith (nn [name]Eddie[/name] pronounced Eee-dee)
[name]Helena[/name]

Thanks! I am loving all the support on [name]Louisa[/name]…I have been in such a name rut and I’m finally getting excited about a name again!

I love [name]Mabel[/name] from your list.