Need help with a surname for my main character!

Hello! This is now my second post. Involving the same story from my other topic. :sweat_smile:

It’s been about half a year and I still haven’t found a surname for my main character. Her name is “Marielle,” and while I’ve heard a couple pronounce it “Mary-elle,” my head kept automatically pronouncing it as “mah-ree-ell,” so I just stuck with it. I personally like the sound of that better, as well.

I need a surname that gives the same vibes as the name “Baudelaire,” and/or a name that gives you the vibe of a family that has been “cursed” in their bloodline for centuries. The curse is death, though I won’t get into what specific way of dying it is in order to be extra cautious and avoid making anyone uncomfortable.

If this helps you any further, the story’s main setting is the sea. The main character even lives near the sea herself. Hence why I gave her a name that, from what short knowledge I gained, means star of the sea!

I would much prefer longer and “fancier” (more noble sounding? Victorian? I’m not sure which is the right word) sounding surname suggestions. But who knows? If you suggest a shorter surname, I might change my mind!

If you need to know any further details, I’ll message them to you. :blush:

Thank you so much to anyone who took the time to read this, and tries to help me. I’d say surnames are definitely one of the most exhausting and harder parts for me when it comes to fictional writing. :joy:

1 Like

Here’s some ideas ~
[name_u]Carrington[/name_u]
Archambeau
Berengar
Chatelain
Cloutier
De [name_m]Villiers[/name_m]
[name_m]Dubois[/name_m]
[name_m]Dacre[/name_m]
[name_m]Durand[/name_m]
Frossard
La Cour
Lenoir
Valade
Voland

To find these I searched for ‘dark academia [name_u]French[/name_u] surnames’ incase you’d like to find more of the same!

2 Likes

Hey, it’s you again, @EdgeOfTheMeadow! You’re back! :sob: :gift_heart:

I’ll definitely look into “dark academia [name_u]French[/name_u] surnames.” And thank you so much for the surname suggestions!

1 Like

some ideas:

Andronicus
[name_m]Bartleby[/name_m]
Bonhomme
Courtemanche
[name_u]Courtenay[/name_u]
D’Aramitz
[name_f]Devereux[/name_f]
Duval
Faucheux
Favreau
[name_m]Granville[/name_m]
Meunier
Montmorency
Mycroft
Sauveterre
[name_m]Trevelyan[/name_m]
Villeneuve
[name_u]Voltaire[/name_u]

1 Like

Delacroix

It means ‘of the cross’, and was originally used for people who lived by a crossroads, which sounds suitably cursed to me!

3 Likes

Coming here to echo @Shits_Giggles because my first thought on reading your post was Delacroix! I also like Badeaux: it means open-mouthed or gullible, but I like it because it has the word “bad” in it and “eaux” can translate to waters, which links to her first name and the setting. Not sure if that’s too on the nose for you though

1 Like

[name_m]Can[/name_m] I just say I LOVE that name! [name_f]Lovely[/name_f] choice!

[name_m]Allard[/name_m]
Baudelaire
[name_m]Durand[/name_m] (apparently meaning ‘enduring’)
Chastain
Noyer
Castillon
[name_m]Gauthier[/name_m]
Arquette

1 Like

Hi, @Stabyhoun! I’m so sorry for the late response, I’ve been super busy. :sweat_smile:

Thank you so much for loving the name! I was at a loss for words when I read that you did. Any compliment I receive for story ideas always makes my day. And really throws me off guard, haha!

I still haven’t found a surname that clicks yet, but any help is very appreciated and is much better than having no suggestions at all. Wonderful list of surname suggestions from you, I’m gonna save a couple for potential future characters I have in mind! Thank you very much, and have a lovely day/night. :gift_heart:

1 Like

Hi, @Gingilocks101 and @Shits_Giggles! I’m so sorry for the late response, I’ve been super busy. :sweat_smile:

Oh, I love the surname Delacroix! I was actually thinking how awesome of a surname it would be for, let’s say, a vampire hunter. You know, since from what I remember in vampire lore history; they burn from crucifixes. Imagine being a vampire hunter with a surname that means “of the cross.” (And to anyone who wants to use that idea, by all means!)

Badeaux is a pretty surname, Gingi! It does sound a bit too on the nose to me, but it’s definitely a surname I could see me probably using for future characters. Thank you so much for your suggestion on Delacroix, Giggles. And thank you so much for your echo on that surname and suggestion for Badeaux, Gingi! :gift_heart: Any surname suggestions help me a ton, even if I don’t pick them out. Because any suggestions are better than none, after all!

1 Like

[name_m]Hi[/name_m], @namelover55! I’m so sorry for the late response, I’ve been super busy. :sweat_smile: But always strive to make an effort to thank those who send me surname suggestions! What a wonderful list. I’m especially in love with Montmorency and [name_u]Voltaire[/name_u]. They, unfortunately, don’t click with the character I spoke about in my post. But they’re most definitely surnames I’ll be saving and using for other potential characters!

Thank you so much for your awesome suggestions and time on making that list. Have a lovely day/night! :gift_heart:

1 Like

NP! [name_f]Hope[/name_f] you find something you like for her soon! And glad I could help with some names that might fit with other characters. Names are so hard sometimes, but you’ll find something you like! I’m sure of it :smiley:
And no worries! I’m just happy that name gets some attention! It’s so pretty and been a favorite of mine for a long time. ^^

1 Like